Do you have to RP on Argent Dawn?

It’s encouraged, but the only thing that is expected is to not actively disrupt people’s RP with spell effects/toys/large mounts/etc.

3 Likes

Many many years ago I moved to a roleplay server because people told me they were less toxic and a lot more chill. This was true, though it was not AD. I think it is fine to come to a roleplay server for that reason, as long as you do not troll and disturb roleplayers. Be mindful about running around Stormwind or Orgrimmar where people are roleplaying. I do not find this server extremely toxic at all. Toxic players are found on every server. Feel free to play here!

I did not intend to roleplay when I moved, but witnessing roleplay swiftly changed my mind! Here we are almost 14 years later…

11 Likes

I think that’s how a lot of people get into roleplay, they watch others doing it first and find they’d like the idea of it and want to join in.
Problem is this server has a few shall we say vocal negative nancies who would rather seal the gates off to any newcomer who doesn’t follow a very strict and controlled path of induction into the “rp community”.
Why? Because as you mentioned there are toxic people, but there are also lazy people who want everything given to them on a platter and will do nothing to cultivate new roleplayers but happily consume their own tails.

6 Likes

You do not have to RP but as many say here on the forum. Just try your best to respect the people who do RP and move yourself a bit away from them if you feel you might be to close to not disturb them.

I remember one time when i unintentionally landed with a mount on top of people who did RP. The game loaded them and the npc:s in slow so right when landing i suddenly stood on top of 2-3 people who was doing RP. I moved away a bit from them and whispered to one of them that i am so sorry that i did not se them and did not mean to disturb them in any way. I got a big smile back with a thank you and we talked for a while and it became a good memory/event for all included i hope.

Often a sorry goes a long way if you by accident disturb anyone. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Pretty much this. Just be kind, though I know people can struggle with that. I think the meme that “roleplayers are the nicest people in mmorpgs!” has has become somewhat outdated when time and time again it’s been shown how vitriolic and vicious certain players can get when their storytelling doesn’t go exactly according to the script they have in their heads. Roleplayers are just people and they can be as bad or good as any other player.

It’s cool that people can be passionate about this hobby but I’ve always thought it a little weird how unfriendly the community can be towards strangers. As others have pointed out in this thread already, strangers can turn into potential friends that can become interested in roleplaying when they happen upon it. Saying stuff like:

is really ironic since I personally think the damage is way worse when this sort of odd gatekeeping is upheld. If x player doesn’t bother you, what do you care how they enjoy their game? To quote a classic, you don’t pay for their sub. I’ve started playing on an RP server before I got interested in roleplaying, frankly back then I don’t remember the RP police checking if everyone was “doing what they’re supposed to” but eventually I got hooked in and started making cool (even if sometimes cringe, I was young) stories.

So in a nutshell, no I don’t think it’s mandatory to RP on this server, but I’ll echo the statement others have made: it’s important not to go out of your way and intentially bother someone, doesn’t matter if they’re doing roleplay or content. Other than that, just play wherever you feel like it.

17 Likes

Soooo. WHy was this brought back up?

1 Like

People have nothing better to do.

Though it’s funny watching the stormwind boohoo pop out to allude about ‘evil people in the community’ while simultaneously still doing the same thing they’ve been up to for 6+ years.

For someone who loves overusage of the word ‘hypocrite’ they sure don’t get the meaning of irony.

2 Likes

You mean to say there are OTHER elements of gameplay on this server?! Dispicable!

2 Likes

This is a weird thread.

1 Like

Oh em gee, let it die.

The necromancers are raising the death again, huh!

Who da crap keeps necroing threads and for WHY

Ask the gnome warlock.

I am evil. It’s part of my charm.

It seems people just want attention and/or drama 'cause it’s run dry recently.

1 Like

Roleplaying is mandatory, citizen.

1 Like

You’ll get a bunch of people here whining at you but the short answer is no.

As long as you’re not bothering RP’ers it is fine! You’re a background extra in a tv show kind of a player on the server.

I hope you find the chill you’re looking for OP :blush:

1 Like

Funny, I always felt the RP’ers to be the background extras while I play the game and do heroic stuff. That was my motivation to hang around on AD.

2 Likes

Had an onlooker appear in Northshire when the AHL were there for an evening, checked us out and decided he wanted to RP, now he’s a solid lad of our community.

The whole mindset of “if you don’t rp, you shouldn’t come here” is dumb, non coherent and frankly ridiculous. The whole idea of gatekeeping AD is flawed, people come to AD and potentially end up RPing (which as a server benefits)

Obnoxious spammers and mount jumpers have the attention span of a goldfish, and move on shortly after.

Whilst I see onlookers day and night on meme roof, which RP, including myself. The mindset of AD shouldn’t be about gatekeeping. Aslong as folks respect the ongoing RP, then that’s fine.

10 Likes

An age-old arguement that should really end in:
You RP? Your home is with us!
You don’t RP? The only RP server in EU is not for you! Go look in other non-RP servers!
You like watching RP? Go find some RP stream in youtube or twitch or w/e

Imagine coming to a tabletop session just to watch others in the room RPing fr.

1 Like