Do you remember when Sylvanas was a fan favorite character?

She was a fan favorite when she had an actual understandable, sympathetic goal, combined with her reckless methods. Not some weird beef with a bald dude that appeared out of nowhere.

2 Likes

To be honest, I believe her story is still challenge to accept. Writers know that some will be with her no matter, what she will do. Some will be lured and abandoned by the story. She was put on unredeemable point for observers, but she will get it and promised twist is not her story :wink: . That’s my prediction about her.

May be will not be part of the horde as I want, but some mix of Illidan and Kerrigan and shadowlands will be her new home.

1 Like

I would argue if anything it’s the other way around. If you don’t care for such bad story telling fine. That’s one thing. Going in like this for Blizzard on the other hand… uff that’s sad.

To play the devil’s advocate here for a post…

I can see his point. It’s not Sylvanas’ players who made this steaming pile of excrement, but they don’t all deserve this awful finger-pointing for liking a character. And whilst there has been… overly passionate supporters, I can safely say the other side have had the same.

A possibly improved version of the post-raid cinematic [language warning]

gl hf

1 Like

Funny because pretty much the opposite happened. Sylvanas Character was shredded and torn down. Yes she was in the focus, but not in a way you would start to like her suddenly.

Funny, because that’s pretty much what I said happened!

Well honestly, it didn’t help that she was everywhere, and everything involved around her… Besides she’s been a main plot line for quite some time now, it gets boring just as everything else, we need some new fresh blood to take over

1 Like

I still like the character and some shall we say lacking sotrytelling is not going to change that. It’s not to say i like much of her Legion and onward story, however i do not believe that her becoming the Warchief or going into a brutal war against the Aliance are the issue here. She has always been a big name leader and she never had any qualms about breaking a few eggs. If you did enough mental gymnastics there have been ways to rationalise her actions up until 8.2.5’s disasterous War Campaign conclusion.

As for the current story she is featured prominently, in the overarching narrative, but i ask you this. What do you actually know about her now?
-Do we know what is her objective? no
-Do we know what is her motive? no
-Do we know what are her stakes in achieving the aforementioned? no
-Do we know how she plans to do it? not really
(granted we know about as much about the big bald guy, which is also bad, but if you look at the well written villains or even antiheroes like Sauron, Thanos, the Punisher and so forth you’re right away given at least a basic understanding of the what, why and how, which informs how they act and others act toward them.)

1 Like

Blizzard probably believed Alliance player propaganda and assumed people would like Sylvanas, just because of her iconic look. So far, any Sylvanas loyalist I know (myself included) has been a loyalist out of spite, not because he or she’s happy with the storytelling.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.