Do you remember when Sylvanas was a fan favorite character?

I just remembered that I rly liked her story from back in the day from WC3 up until she became warchief. Srsly since she became warchief, and the entire crapfest of BFA and SL, her character’s story and popularity has just dumpster-dived.

We literally had a cool warchief already with Vol’jin who earned his title by leading a big rebellion, but then immediately after he just died the next time he showed up in the story… Its such a tragic waste that Sylvanas got pushed in as the 4th damn warchief for a silly reason (an unknown villain playing 10-dimensional chess - making us have 3 different warchiefs within 3 expansions), and that her character changed from being what you can call “morally grey” and a fierce leader of her people to being genocidal and downright ignorant and stupid version of H*tler with a bow.

9 Likes

im still her fan !

2 Likes

Still love her!

2 Likes

has it been too much romanticized what “undead” means?
the first thing she did after regaining controll over herself was mind controlling her former allies for vengeance.
you liked her before she made herself warchief… which was when she was completely ignored by writing?
i grant you, the “morally gray” meme around her is annoying. that has been due to comments from so-called leadership who made made commitments the writing team was nowhere near to fullfilling.
judge her on her own merits

1 Like

It seems these days that there are no real drawbacks to undeath other than maggot control.

Out of all the new characters introduced in BFA I do think Zelling was rather alright – but I hated what he represented. He was too human. He had the same love for his family that he had had while he was alive, and the only thing that stood between him and his family was rather irrational prejudice.

It would have been more interesting to explore how undeath changes you. Perhaps by Zelling slowly realising that he no longer cares for his family the same way he used to. Kinda like the storyline in this machinima from 2010: https://youtu.be/j0u-oVzCmn0

2 Likes

She is still one of my favorite characters. Play Night Fae covenant campaign if you want to know who made Sylvannas warchief. She wasn’t pushed in as 4th WarChief, it was planned by “dark forces” as we knew in Battle for Azeroth.

She is morally grey because you cannot put rationale and life logic into fantasy character of an undead that has no emotions and cannot feel. 9.1 end raid cinematic proves that.

It’s tiring to constantly see people making ridiculous comparison to Sylvannas as H*tler when, if anything at all, Shadowlands has thought us that you don’t really die when you die.

Again, play Night Fae covenant campaign to see what happens with souls of elves that died at Teldrassil.

1 Like

This is so true. H*tler at least had the decency to let the dead rest. Sylvanas taught us that killing someone is not enough for her, she has to torture their soul in the afterlife as well.

1 Like

Kinda feels this way. It started out as being a twisted monster. It was a tragic story. You lost parts of your personality. You became more cruel or twisted. People rightfully hated you, you yourself felt cold and bitter, you rotted away (and became colorblind, if the forsaken joke is to believe.)

But now? Apparently the Desolate Council and people like Zellig and Derek proved that you can be still nice, caring persons. And as it has been shown with Nathanos and Sylvanas, you dont even have to look like a rotting monster. You can still look like a hot person, just with grey skins and yellow eyes. Apparently the only real downside remaining is people are still mean to you. So if they only would accept you, undead is just Life 2.0 for you to enjoy. Maybe you cant have kids anymore, but everything considered, it doesnt feel like a curse anymore, it feels like a pretty good deal to enjoy some more time on this world.

Read more.

Think more.

2 Likes

Sylvanas was such a good character, and such a good character development as well. From the Ranger general who died protecting her city, to the enslaved to the leader of those who broke free from the Scourge.

Then suddenly the retcon scourge combined with the Lich of terrible writing struck, and not even Sylvanas could escape. Now we have a pile of mess of a character, the last good written from Metzen’s golden days. Destroyed so easily by someone who shouldn’t even be allowed to write a shopping list.

1 Like

Personally, I’d say it was less when she was a fan favourite character, and more when she had some kind of consistent theme going for her. Which also fed into how she was liked as a character.

Starting with this. Semi-true, but I felt like this was a positive manner of having none, yet having more kinda deal. She had quite a bit of mystery around her and every time she got involved into something, it was very controversial.

But not to the point where she became a political clown or the definition of strange ‘‘morally grey’’ actions. She was just herself and often enough that’s all she really needed.

Yes, this is true, yet even then, it doesn’t mean her actions are all okay and excusable on the prospect that we cannot understand her nor that she plays on a different set of logic. To many, as complaints have registered, her actions having no clear definition or meaningful understanding is exactly one part of what is and what has hurt her as a character.

Again, I would be more understanding of her side and rationale as a villain - or hell, even the Jailer - if we just knew what the plans and the actions were even on a meta standpoint. Stating that we just ‘dont’ know’ has become unfortunately comparable to beating on a dead horse.

Hell, people still hate and abhor Garrosh and his actions to this day, yet at the same hand there are still those that like or even understand the reasons of why he did why he did because they were told and shown straight up as to his reasoning for gradually turning the Horde into a one-race supremacy and also meddling with powers beyond his understanding simply because he fell for the good ol’ trap of power+.

1 Like

Many people still love Sylvannas, you still can find players saying “For the Dark Lady” in some corners of WOW. I think the problem is that the writers have no idea what to do with her. So they made her the ultimate baddie, now they want to redeem her somewhat.

The dark lady is still a fan-favorite i think

2 Likes

It depends. Some have brain rot. It’s only used once to explain why some undead can get easy angry. Also according to Golden they are so fragile a hug can hurt them, or they are even losing their skin. Even shaking hands is too much… they are too fragile… ugh.

1 Like

Fans still love her. She is a favorite and that is not going to stop any time soon.

2 Likes

It’s almost as if trying to force fans to like a character by making them the most importantest awesome character ever to the point where entire plotlines and character dynamics are torn up and rewritten just so said character can get to show off makes people hate that character!

2 Likes

For me she was always “meh” character, until Legion. When she became the Warchief of the Horde I started to hate her. I also had a feeling that she will ruing the Horde. And so she did.

1 Like

Imagine to be so much butthurted about best wow Character since wc3, so you trash-talk her everywhere.

Jeez can you people just get a live? Your image of “righteously angry” slowly changing in people eyes to pathetic “losers with no live”, whos wasting they summer to trashing on forums about fictional character. Can we get special reservation for Sylvana haters? To somehow segregate them from the normal people? Please blizz.

Since ICC patch I have just waited for the day when I or someone finally kills her. She seems like a character whose only purpose is to be annoying.

1 Like