Does RP realms dungeon finder connects with normal servers?

Yup and from my empirical evidence it seems way too high.

Server firsts. Less lag. Empty shards / realmpools back in the days.

Maybe they’re a guild that started with a few RPers and then they started raiding? You yourself said RPers raid. Why would a guild not be allowed to recruit people for raiding without them recruiting for RP as well?

And just because you believe it’s correct, doesn’t mean it is correct. I mean there’s also people believing radio waves spread viruses.

Not really lucky, just apparently less bothered by people being afk.

So isn’t that more of an issue with you having a lot of things that apparently bother you but very few other people?

Still don’t get your point.

I wouldn’t say a lot, but there’s some. Also a fair bit of people might just not know about total RP since they’re newcomers. Not sure, I just tend to avoid people without a profile.

Repeating your same opinions doesn’t make them more convincing, sorry to say.

I agree.

The fact that you’ve used an example where you talked to a non RPer without knowing, or at the very least expecting, they weren’t one.

I am, actually. I agree, it is a bit exclusive, but it sadly is what it is.

We don’t have proper ingame support for anything RP related, so I can only assume the people who are serious about RPing are the ones with Total RP installed while everybody else isn’t serious about it.

I’ve also never been approached by anybody without Total RP installed, so there’s that. I wish there were a better solution, but it helps me avoid awkward situations.

The thing you don’t understand is first of all: It’s your opinion that they’re disrupting RP. A dozen other people may not be affected by it at all. I don’t mind people afking in cities or in the auction house, main cities are usually a pass anyway.

It isn’t hard at all, people may just not expect others to be disrupted by it. I’m sure that the people who don’t want to bother RPers wouldn’t mind simply flying up and waiting, if they’d been told that what they’re doing is actively disrupting other peoples gameplay.

However, I too find it a bit ridiculous. Why is it that people statue-ing in cities bothers you so much?

I disagree. I find your statements to be exactly that.

I agree. But you can also not blame people who have nothing to do with these others who are disruptive for their actions.

Yes, blaming victims is wrong. But blaming random bystanders is also wrong, isn’t it?

No, what I think happened was that a raiding guild joined Sha’tar, with quite a few non RPers in it and some of them being disruptive. Are you now blaming the entire guild of them for being disruptive?

An individuals decisions are their own. If a person is disruptive, actively so rather than your weird idea of being indirectly disruptive, it’s their own decision and their own fault.

People who get bothered by these people attract them, though. Of course I wouldn’t blame a human for having blood. But it doesn’t change the fact that said human having blood attracts mosquitoes.

The whole argument is you repeating your opinions and stating them as facts, without providing any new arguments whatsoever. Me saying my opinion and you disagreeing with them. It’s really pointless.

People change their minds. People learn new things. People who don’t know anything about RP are obviously not interested in RP, because they don’t know anything about it. How on earth are you going to get people into RP by pushing them away? Or do you only accept people as RPers when they came on the server with the intention of RPing?

Fair point. But the way you’re acting right now, when I would’ve introduced myself OOC, you would’ve probably told me to leave the server. Because as I’ve said, I’ve joined an RP realm with no intention of RPing whatsoever. I stuck around because RP turned out to be incredibly fun, but that was due to some people holding a weekly mulgore market and them introducing me into the entire thing.

3 Likes

There are no rules to prevent non RPers from joining RP realms, personally I don’t see the point of being on an RP server as a regular player. There are a whole host of Normal realms to choose from. Why do I need to go and infringe on other people’s creative hobbies.

RP realms have some different rulesets to normal. They are only CRZ with other RP realms and they try to avoid sharding because it ruins RP events. Regardless of WM on or off you are all in the same place. People from other realms can be invited onto RP realms via groups etc in the normal manner.

They also have their own naming policy:-

Additional Rules for Role Playing Realms

World of Warcraft Role Play (RP) realms are intended to provide players with an added level of immersion in the game world and must avoid being disruptive to the world. Examples of common unacceptable or disruptive RP names include (but are not limited to):

• Non-medieval or non-fantasy names (For example: Slipnslide, Robotman, Discoinferno)
  • Names that reference well known people, characters, brands, places, or icons (For example: Britneyspears, Austinpowers, Mcdonalds, Georgewashington, Newyork)
  • Names that consist of multiple words (For example: Inyourface, Welovebeef, Howareyou, Sixtyseventy)

Blizzard reserves the right to assign a random name to any character violating our RP naming policy. For more severe or repeat violations, we may apply additional penalties to the account.

I admire people being that creative and living out their characters lives but it’s not for me :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Mileage varies massively between RPers in the “OOC stance” so generalising isn’t helpful.

I’d consider myself fairly liberal. I don’t expect people to know whether they’re going to RP or not, because sometimes you don’t know this, and you come to it later. Barring someone entry based upon this kind of question is an issue for me. Also it’s intention based. You can’t track intentions.

For me it’s about their RP tolerance behaviour. I have no issue with someone who does not RP on RP realms so long as they recognise what I see as a general rule: RPers have “right of way” in non-content-facing scenarios. What do I mean by this?

• not actively disrupting ongoing RP that is occuring. This ranges from trolling, engaging in bad spirit “i was just tryin to RP XD”, standing in the way, following etc. RP is like a “game within a game”, it’s rude to insert yourself without permission if you show no indication you know “the rules”. That’s what whisper is for.

• not congregating in an area where RP is taking place without cause. Eg Valley of Honour. If you are simply loitering waiting on something it takes 5 seconds to mount and fly upwards. Pretty much all RPers “blindside” stuff like mailbox checks, AH visits and vendoring. As said earlier, this is “content facing” stuff, so denying it is silly. However waiting around in a spot others are using when you could wait anywhere else, and you have no intention of RPing is disruptive because if those players approach you (as is their right) IC, they’re then met with a jarring response that breaks immersion at best, and trolling at worst (I will say though in a few cases I’ve had an IC response back, if only to excuse themselves from my company, which is great honestly. Tiny gesture, but supports the RP integrity.)

• understanding that for EU at least there is now only one “functional” RP server, so affording RPers courtesy with small gestures like the above (which take zero effort honestly) goes a long way. In tandem with this, even if you dont challenge it directly, reporting players you spot disrupting RP. The issue with the old servers (and is becoming issue on AD) is OOC players outnumber RPers despite the server label. If the OOCers who don’t disrupt also turn a blind eye to disruption, they contribute to the problem by tacitly endorsing it. If a majority of the OOC community “had our backs” you’d find a lot more RPers would be liberal about things. Fact is a lot don’t have our backs, and simply think “well it’s not me doing it” is enough.

If you’re not contributing to the RP, at least contribute towards keeping the environment healthy for RP. Even if you don’t go into a library to read, and you’re not disrupting those who are reading, this doesn’t mean it’s suddenly okay for you to block people’s access to books, litter, or turn a blind eye to behaviours that are against the library rules.

3 Likes

Thanks all for discussion about Role-playing. The topis is however about technical question - RP servers connected via dungeon & battleground finder with normal realms. Thanks for your inputs though.! Some readers may find it helpful.

• DegenWoW
1 Like

…Could you not? We RPers from smaller realms are still around. I don’t want OOCers any more than you ADers do.

3 Likes

So what about someone who was initially interested in RP.
Then after reaching max level and trying it doesn’t really enjoy it. But stays on the server because their character is there.
You can’t really say they shouldn’t have joined the server in that case right?

1 Like

As long as these players do not disrupt the nature of the server, they are welcomed to stay.

3 Likes

So I’m not going to just quote everything you said but, couple things…

There is definitely RP happening on other servers. Personally I may have transferred off ER/DMF for my own reasons (though I still have alts there), but I will continue to vouch for it’s RP community. Is it on the scale of Argent Dawn? No. Does one exist? Yes. I still see people RPing daily over there. In fact, a lot of it happens in Stormwind and Orgrimmar, areas that you declared as no-go zones. There really aren’t all that many OOCers there, and the few that are will usually do their thing, check the AH or whatever other reason they came there for, and move on.

Ironically, what I’m not seeing is the awful OOC behavior you are saying so many non-RPers show. In fact, the only time I’ve seen someone truly be disruptive to RP was a fellow roleplayer who felt the server’s RP wasn’t done properly. Funnily enough, he eventually moved to AD.

The RP community is smaller, sure, but it (clearly) also means fewer trolls. Unfortunately, messages like yours claiming that AD is the only “real” RP server left means that potential new RPers don’t even look at the other RP realms. If I may be blunt, certain vocal people from Argent Dawn have become an almost hostile presence in the RP community as a result, as they actively contribute to the eventual death of these smaller communities.

Not to say that is everyone from AD, of course. Far from it, luckily.

Now I admit I haven’t read every post in this thread fully yet, but there are plenty of reasons for non-RPers to be on RP realms. They may have had a friend there who introduced them to the game. They may have been interested but ultimately decided RP wasn’t for them - Are you going to pay for their transfers when you tell them to leave the server? What about friends they made there?

Another reason is non-RP activities. You may have a group of RPers deciding they want to raid as well - you yourself have said RPers don’t have to just RP, after all. But if there isn’t enough interest on the server itself, what do you do? Why would those RPers have to transfer away just to be able to do some raiding? Instead, you recruit, through the recruitment forums, reddit, mmo-champion, you name it. And these new recruits, who might not be RPers themselves, transfer to join your raiding team.

By your own logic as well, every RPer is responsible for the stuff that goes down in Goldshire, because they technically belong to the same group. Now, this of course isn’t the case, but that’s what you are arguing. ALL non-RPers are bad because of a select few disrupting RP.

I fully agree that disrupting RP is a big no-no and that the extra rules should be respected, but to completely chase all non-RPers off the server? No.

Brig, try to realize how your arguments in this thread sound. The somewhat unfortunate thing here is that having seen you post plenty in the past you’ve always seem like one of the more mature people on these forums, but this thread isn’t really showing it, sorry to say.

4 Likes

At this point I don’t see why Roleplayer realms are not replaced with some sort of roleplayer mode just like PVP realms were replaced with warmode.

It makes total sense because a roleplayer mode will be optional like warmode and like warmode it will have its own separate shards (and those shards could be created with CRZ, exactly just how shards work on current roleplayer realms)

The difference between roleplayer mode and roleplayer realm is that this mode is not attached to characters. This means Blizzard will be able to ban from RP mode any player that disrupts RP.

Given that normal mode and roleplayer mode have no technical differences being banned for RP mode means to loose access to roleplay, that’s it. On the countrary Blizzard does not enforce RP realm rules with this kind of bans because if you ban a character from playing in RP realms he loose access to their characters in those realms. That does not happens with a ban for playing in RP mode.

To avoid tourist there is always the option to disable quests, experience, and loot in RP mode, that means RP would be the only purpose to play in RP mode, because nothing more will work. Or at least disable those things for any player whose character is not from one of the current rp realms.

1 Like

Well said @Grobluk.

@OP, yes, anyone and everyone is welcome to Argent Dawn regardless of RP interest or not.

2 Likes

There are what, 30+ realms, and only 1/2/3 remaining RP realm.

Literally pick any other server.

2 Likes

Im actually fine with the whole “i like the community, I like what RPers bring to the realm, it makes it feel alive.” Mentality.

The part I don’t get is where people claim that, and whilst they don’t get involved actively, they also do nothing to support that “environment” they claim to be after in keeping it as such.

If you want to enjoy the environment, then help it stay that way. Take the small steps you can to not “ruin” those things you claim to enjoy to challenge those who directly sabotage them whether you’re an RPer or not.

Claiming you prefer the environment but just being completely passive to elements that ruin it is contradictory. It’s like saying you prefer to eat in the park due to its natural beauty as opposed to the food court, but doing nothing regarding helping out the park rangers stay on top of litter etc, and just shrugging your shoulders “I didn’t do it”. If that’s your stance, do you actually care about that environment as claimed? Or is it a kind of solipsistic care, where you like that it’s there when you feel like viewing it, but don’t care beyond that?

RP doesn’t pop out of thin air, it requires player investment and time, dedication and patience. The stuff to help it breathe is in most cases very small stuff such as moving a few feet and not being a jerk (assuming you don’t want to participate), exceedingly easy stuff to do for someone who apparently likes the “authentic” world it offers. If people can’t manage that, I’d say they don’t actually care about it at all, or at the very least don’t respect it.

This is what I said earlier, if OOC players by and large on the realm “had our backs” and just admired the RP from a distance whilst helping stamp out disruption, not a single RPer would take issue with it. Unfortunately this is not the case. I’m not going to say the mass of disruptors is the majority because I don’t know that, but those who claim benevolent intentions and to “respect” RP who just stand by and do nothing is very large.

In my time in AD I think I’ve come across one PvE non RP guild that actually kicks members who are caught disrupting RP, and in their guild info they have a section highlighting respect for the server rules and have have a flexible schedule to allow people to get involved in RP server events if they want even though the guild is not RP focused.
It’s too bad for this doesn’t seem to be common and you see far more non RP guilds who seem to engage in what I’d call “bad faith” RP, purposefully mogging wierd outfits and forcing their way into established conversations trying to provoke the participants with bizarre dialogue and reference to RL memes/emojis and using the “I’m just RPing lol” as an excuse when challenged and to claim their guild contributes to the RP of the server.

Try by all means, but do so in good faith. It is quite easy to tell when someone is making earnest mistakes/finding their feet and when someone is just engaging to troll, so genuine newbs won’t be called out.

RP realms are welcome to all as long as they don’t disrupt role-players.

Harassment is always bad, so just don’t go around destroying people’s experiences and you’ll be just fine.

2 Likes

To be fair, this part is very normal.

Sure, normal players don’t run around yelling homophobic slurs, but the excessive jumping is extremely common.

I don’t RP myself, but I can see how it would be disruptive for RP’rs trying to RP to see people jumping around in a circle like rabbits, or when you’re trying to RP a mammoth comes stomping through the streets jumping like an overgrown kangaroo.

A lot of behavior considered “normal” would be disruptive in an RP environment…

Personally I don’t see the point in playing on an RP realm if you’re not going to RP.
To me, that’s like going to the local swimming pool to run laps around it instead of swimming.

2 Likes

I dislike people sooo much when they jump around like some silly fleas on normal servers. Not only shows their age with this behavior, they also spam so much toy-nonsense along the way…

1 Like

Not really. Respecting the realm and the playerbase is crucial. Some people not roleplaying does this, but I wouldnt consider you to be one since you made a troll post earlier claiming rpers to be “narcisstic” for talking about how to improve on some legitimate server issues and just being generally disruptive.

Exactly the type of people we want less off, don’t invite more like yourself because of some weird spite.

As has been talked about earlier, technically, there isnt a rule about not roleplaying on the server, but we do have a naming policy, which many non-roleplayers blatantly ignore and often get angry when told about, which doesnt shine a good light on them collectivly.
We used to also have a specific set of roleplay rules/policities, but those have been baked into the general In-game Code of Conduct(IE, don’t disrupt or harass players now also include roleplayers).

Also, most roleplayers doesnt do it 24/7, I dont think anybody does. Alot of us do regular content as well quite alot and there are even a couple of dedicated raiding guilds made up of roleplayers and such.

But I never understood why someone who doesn’t roleplay, and in many cases makes it clear they never want to as well, would pick specifically a roleplay realm to play in. There are many other servers to cater to your needs otherwise.

1 Like

I started on a RP realm without even knowing what that was, I was brought into the game by somebody and obviously I joined the realm they were on, people need to remember that this can happen with new players, they join to play with friends.

Did I disrupt RP in the beginning? I would say yes I did, but this was not done with malice, it was just pure ignorance as I was so busy trying to learn all the mechanics of gameplay and class, what I was supposed to do, where I was supposed to go then we had Auction House and professions etc.

I joined a ‘social/levelling’ guild for guidance and it was then I began to learn the ‘rules’ of what I could and couldn’t do, so many nice people in that guild who calmly explained to me when I did something wrong and although there was a significant portion of the guild that did RP, it was never forced on those that did not want to or felt uncomfortable participating, although they did encourage others to give it a try :slight_smile: On this basis I attended my first RP event (a wedding in SW) one of the guildies even made me a dress to wear, as a new levelling player I didn’t have the appropriate clothing, they kindly guided me through the event with occasional whispers to keep me on track. Even with such help I never really became a Roleplayer, but I did learn about Roleplay and the positive interactions/immersion it gave to a realm and it gave me the confidence to chat to somebody IC if I was approached (without really having a character background).

So from my beginning on a RP realm, I speak only for myself, I believe that the game has for some moved to this ‘exclusivity’ mindset of we have this realm it is ours and ‘keep out’ if you don’t wish to roleplay. To me this is sad because even though I agree that you do get some disruptive behaviour, I would say you also get those that are interested or willing to learn who can add to your gameplay, even if they never become fully fledged roleplayers. Such an ‘exclusive’ outlook is offputting to those that want to give it a try without fully committing and in the end even if they don’t commit, I can almost guarantee you will at least have another person who will champion the rights of Roleplayers :slight_smile:

I am not saying that everybody should join a RP realm if they don’t want to roleplay, but what I would say is that if people want to join for the immersion aspects and they are willing to follow the rules of the realm, then at least give them that opportunity. Please just be aware that mistakes will be made, but for most reasonable people a kind whisper explaining the mistake is all it takes for things to be quickly rectified.

3 Likes

Its like going to the swimming pool but you dont want to swim but also think that people that go there to swim spend 100% of the time in the pool.

while in reality they spend anywhere between 10-90% (rp) in the pool and also make use of the other facilities (pve/pvp/you name it)

the message is
Go to an RP realm if you have the intention to RP

2 Likes

The thing is though, yeah everything about your post makes sense, and of course there will be new players and mistakes, but there is alot of resement on Argent Dawn specifically because of two things.

1. We’ve seen a huge increase in deliberate malicious disruption and trolling, with people dedicated to doing this quite excessivly. This has been promoted by alot of people activly inviting more non-roleplayers to the realm without caring for roleplay at all, not even in the immersion bit, but just disregarding it.
    We’ve also had quite alot of incidents in a row the last 2-3 years with streamers and Youtubers specifically going to Argent Dawn to troll and disrupt(As in, they’ve told their fans “haha how funny roleplay is, lets go troll with them” and done so for the sake of a video or stream". This has lead to people mimicing this behaviour, and in several cases, made areas completly unusable for roleplay for days.

2. Blizzard of late has been very lacking on enforcing their own rules on Argent Dawn specifically, anything from disruption and harassment, to geniune slurs spammed by non-roleplayers for the “memes” and breaking the naming policy.

All of this, built up continiously over the years has given alot of resment for many and the “We have to try and do something ourselves” mentality to keep things more nicer for those of us using the server for its intentions.

1 Like

Vouching for the sad reality that OOCers crowded out RPers on all RP realms but AD. I saw it firsthand, people making it a game to hunt down the nerds who dared to use the server for its intended purpose and actively disrupting people’s stories. You can’t expect this to be tolerated.

Where a non pvper on a pvp server/warmode obviously picked the wrong place to be and gets pummeled by the pvpers, there is no equivalent for an OOCer on a RP server because the RPers cannot actually fight it. The OOCer is inherently disruptive.

The above is beautifully and tragically demonstrated by the valley of strength and trade districts on AD being completely OOC zones overfilled with people with no interest in RP and a RPer going there must accept that it’s an OOC area ill suited for RP. And that shouldn’t be the case. All areas are RP areas on a RP server. I’d rather we RPers reclaim these parts of our cities.

If this continues, you may well see RPers with no interest in pve move to pve servers as AD crumbles. What will the pve players say to that? Again, why is it okay for a non rper to impose their way on us but unacceptable when someone not interested in pvp joined a pvp server? Why is it then OK to simply dismiss them with a “lol go somewhere else” but not when a pve player insists on being on a RP server?

Sharding conditions are different on RP servers but that is to facilitate RP and not for the convenience of off realmers who want an easier time doing their realm first raiding.

2 Likes