Don't merge realms of different languages!

feel the same here

Well you can care about your own servers while caring about other servers ? Empathy ?

3 Likes

Feeling the same, after group finder and raid finder. The other day we had a lvl 110 mage who didn’t know what a table was to give healer food. We kept asking him to help the healer and he finally left…

Yes, it’s a real problem that I don’t think blizzard is keeping into account.

Basically there’s very few of such servers, as far as I know burning legion polish, burning blade czech, stormreaver finnish, aggra portuguese, they were all marked high pop even pre connection except stormreaver which I believe is medium, so blizzard has 2 options: leave these servers unnconnected, or connect them to english speaking realms, making a soup of languages, and they chose the latter.

They could’ve maybe given a free transfer to people forced into different languages like this, but then others would’ve demanded free transfers as well.

And in all of these cases except aggra, there’s not even an in game indicator, like with burning legion or burning blade you just make a char on a high pop horde heavy english realm, and then find out it’s fully polish (or czech in the 2nd realm’s case), so they can’t even remove the label, there’s none, they can’t force the people on those realms to stop speaking polish or czech.

I’m sure both burning legion and burning blade would’ve been fine even without a connection, population wise, so guess the best solution would’ve been to simply leave these 2 outside the connection program, but maybe blizzard didn’t log these realms and check if they were speaking english, maybe they had no doubt, I also didn’t know about burning legion’s language till I heard on forums, so my first thought when I heard of the connection was that al’akir was gonna have a lot more people both on horde and on ally (burning legion is still much bigger than al’akir even on ally side).

3 Likes

The label is entirely player made and servers change through time, burning legion once upon a time was an alliance majority server too, there is a multitude of reasons why they cant/shouldnt leave these servers alone.

Also what the servers are marked as on the server list sometime feels like blizzard is just putting a finger in in the air and seeing where it lands, prime examples of this are servers like US-AlteracMountains or US-Fizzcrank which are listed as super high population until you actually log into those.

@All: This one at least is very much of the “old” pattern. Two low activity realms getting more connections.

all the US connections announced are pretty much the same, bunch of low pop 2 server clusters being connected to a bunch of clusters created with a mishmash of many small servers.

Will see what else they announce when they hopefully announce some non-english servers later on in the day

Sorry i meant only the part about the RP realms xD

ye but its also proof that connections have just started .

i hope they are going strong for very few megaservers.

to cut down servers number not in half but by at least 75%

i wonder why they are going so much stronger for NA then EU this time though . because what we can see they are going real strong there with clusters having 7, 5, 7, 6, 8, 3, 7 servers in them . so from 43 they reduced to 7 . nice real nice.

and whats most important there is disclaimer they are planing even more merges.

lets hope the same waits for EU after they are done focusing NA.

@Lilîith: This was indeed obvious from very early on. :slight_smile:

I am not sure I would describe the probable end result quire as “very few”, see more directly below. :slight_smile:

Esploratore and I ended up with slightly different predictions, but the probable number is likely to be close to 64 (down from about 122). My model ended with a minimum of about 59 and if I recall correctly, Esploratore found a few ideas, which might take a couple of more out. So the probable number is close to 50%, maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less.

This is purely speculative, but there is a small chance that they have altered (or have been forced to alter) their original plans regarding EU as well. As you know, one US connection was cancelled.

If Esploratore and I are remotely correct, EU will see about 20-25 more connections before program 2 ends in addition to what has already been done.

what there doing on US is just creating a bunch of clusters made from many, many tiny servers, I feel like so far already anyway they have been far less willing to involve big servers in any connection in the US… they may have put proudmoore/hyjal up to test the waters and pulled back after.

Either way the US started with 119, is now at 107, if these newly announced 7 connections go through its at 100 servers.

EU started at 123 servers, is now at 112, there is 3 more connections on EU they never completed so were at 109 servers that we know of.

In Asia, Taiwan went from 9 servers to 8, and Korea still hasn’t had any new connections and is still at 9 servers.

At any rate it feels like they are more aggressively connecting servers in US but many of these connections are just creating 6-8way clusters of tiny servers.

Edit: just as I posted this I saw they announced another connection in TW: Frostmane is to be connected to Dragonmaw on Friday so this will bring that region down to 7 servers

Am I wrong or should there be 50 connections for us to go down from 115 to 65 realms?

If you connect A and B, realms only go down by 1!

@Esploratore: I think my mind was a bit too preoccupied (I have a very busy day today, as my studies resume this afternoon and I actually had to RUN to buy books that I need today). I sort of mixed two thoughts partially with eachother and ended up writing a form that did not fully reflect my thinking… You see, there is difference between different models of connecting. Following is just an example…

24 realms… you can make 12 pairs, eight triplets, six quads or four hexas… and you end up with different numbers of connections needed and different number of end realms. And there are mixed options in between those.

@Esploratore: For additional clarity and I hope I do not get mixed up (still just example mode, starting from 24):

12 pairs, 12 connections, realm count down 12.

Eight triplets, 16 connections (8+8), realm count down 16.

Six quads, 18 connections (6+6+6), realm count down 18.

Four hexas, 20 connections (4+4+4+4+4), realm count down 20.

So, from the exact same starting point, one can end up with different end results.

Yes, that is obviously something that could happen, about that I’m very disappointed by this week’s connections disparity: the us got 7 and we got only 1, I like the one connection we got, it balances out factions on 2 very small realms, but us ones are ofc more interesting, 2 are retries of failed connections, 1 of them is a fairly big realm, with a high atm and it’ll be around high-full when done, and 1 of them is another repeat connection, as in a realm they connected previously in 2020.

So obviously they will do that even for the eu, some connections obviously need follow-ups unless they want to keep them at medium, which I doubt.

Ah, also, trelw, I need your insight on the other thread: could you come check and give us your opinion there as well about the population of doomhammer-turalyon? There’s 3 of us involved and we have very contrasting views, from it being called a dead realm to being very active!

I hope you have time, you will find it just after last blizzard’s post in the “connections are underway” thread.

Without knowing exactly which realms would end up being in that pool, I’m not sure that I agree.

The goal, to my mind, should be 2,500-10,000 per server per faction. The goal is to hit the “town effect” as several original WoW designers called it: The notion that there are enough people that you can never know them all and they’ll congregate in relatively large groups around the town (or world), but not so many that you’ll never meet the same person twice.

Ideally it should be impossible to reach a situation where everyone knows you, but possible that almost everybody knows of you, giving you a reputation around the “town”.

The effects of this design clearly shines through in Classic, and it also did in many prior expansions.

So I’d rather aim for that. If a realm has less than 2500 on a faction, merge it. If it has more than 10,000 there’s a problem that will require “splitting” in order to fix the realm, which is virtually impossible to do short of just smothering the realm with queues.

Unfortunately Blizzard have allowed some servers to get very, very large at the cost of many, many other realms, because people want to naturally congregate in cities, just like in the real world.

But the player truly is his own worst enemy here because, by seeking the “big city”, he deprives himself precisely of the properties about WoW that makes it so social and makes the world so endearing and engaging.

It is up to Blizzard to stop him in his track, and they have proven themselves incapable of living up to that task, which is how we got into this mess.

However, we are where we are, so I approve of merging servers until they have above 2,500 people or even 5,000 or more. Frostmane+Aggra+GrimBatol is in that range for both factions, so it’s a good realm.

EXCEPT there’s an EN-PT realm in there. It’s ridiculous. I remember asking for server merges. It’s a good idea. Oh, had I only known…

There’s this notion that we’ll get merged further… I doubt it. And if we are it’s going to be because of the death of Frostmane such that another one is needed to fill the void.

Well, it’s interesting to hear opinions about what population should be achieved on each server from people, based on what you said my calculations that will result in around 53 remaining eu realms including russians might be more or less correct, this will mean a reduction of about 60% of the realms, we started this round with 123 total.

And according to the spreadsheet I made, every single realm would have a population at least around the level of frostmane-aggra, with some of them obviously being significantly bigger, I purposely didn’t connect draenor, silvermoon, kazzak, twisting and the biggest ones to help small ones cause they’re a bit too large, I used at best realms like ragnaros or stormscale, 1 such realm is enough to fix example aszune population and the likes, don’t need several like when you use smaller clusters (example aszune + azuremyst + blade’s edge + bloodhoof clusters would be needed to get the same effect at least).

For a moment I was disappointed that our Realm Pool seems to not be part of any server merge, although our Realm pool is dying out.

Then I discovered this thread, in which people discuss about merges of realms with different languages (and also subsequent cultures, collective mindsets).

I suddenly feel relieved to be left out.

Unless both language communities are approximately the same size, which we apparently don’t know because Blizzard doesn’t give official numbers, one community will cannibalize the other. Its happened several time in human history.

2 Likes

yeah im on xavius and we might as well have been left out

1 Like

I think there was a message on the launcher of a load of realms, I may have missed a matching blue post but I’ve not gone looking for it.