DPS or total damage?

Hi guys and girls,

I notice a lot of people focus on DPS in dungeons and raids, but isnt overall damage more importent?

Ive been in dungeons with higher total damage done than other DPSers but had lower average DPS.

So which is more importent to focus on?

Thanks,

Well, if you have most dps every fight your total dmg will be top also. In M+ total damage may be the case, but in raids, where there is no timer and trash is just for artifical extending run it doesn’t matter, there are still stituations where 30% of raid is afking setting themselves up for bosses when the rest is clearing trash.

So youre saying DPS is better for a raiding enviroment?

Of course, boss fights (with wipes) are 80% of overall fighting time in most cases. Leaders want people to have stable high damage per second, not quick burst on 2 m cd (It will work in m+ though).

But wouldnt burst damage affect your DPS? If you had a lucky proc for instance had landed a big crit, would that increase your DPS?

or am i missing something?

Don’t focus on the meter and don’t compare. Try to do the right stuff is far more important. You want to burn the adds in raids (usually), you want to stop dps’ing on a certain amount of bursting stacks in mythic+ or attack and kill the right ones first. Or burst damage in dangerous moments to get to other phases fast.

1 Like

For example, my paladin can burst every 1,4m and burst alone for 20seconds is giving me around 40k stable dps, but after that it falls down to around 23k and i need to wait almost 1,5minute to do it again so in perfect fight i land at 28k max, ofc every class has it’s cooldown, but if someone have cyclotronic blast and uses that to kill elites quick then his dps will be insane, but next pull of trash his dps will be trash also because ability is on cd. I always prefer stable dps over bursty classes.

In dungeons overall is generally the preferred metric. Different trash packs and timings favour different classes, and many will often spec out of single target in order to do more consistent boss damage. So overall damage across the instance is a better metric than just dps for dungeons. THAT BEING SAID, the true best metric for dungeons would be something like “Time saved by that person being there”, which is obviously ridiculous to try and quantify.

Raids though, the only things that “really” matter are the bosses. On a raid boss, DPS is the damage metric that matters.

While this advice is “fine”, it implies that a person is incapable of doing both, and that doing mechanics is enough to keep you in a group. It’s not. You need to be able to deal a competent amount of dps and play the fight correctly, ideally you’re able to do great deal more than competent dps and do the mechanics.

I say do keep an eye on your own performance. Do compare yourself to players who appear to be doing better than you are. Ask questions. Read up. Review your play if you’re really driven. That’s how you improve, not by saying “Oh I did the mechanics that’s why my damage is low.”

You can, and should, be able to do both.

3 Likes

I agree with what Ellipsis said. Think about where to apply the big damage hammer as well sometimes.

Saving all your CD’s you you can aoe the living crap out of yellow blobs in shrine saves zero time, they’d die anyway to incidental cleave. Saving CD’s for the boss saves time and is therefore useful.

Don’t think people don’t notice scumbagging in dps!

What addon u use to track dmg?

Oh I totally agree with that :slight_smile:
I just noticed that people often are too much focused on the meter, and burn for example cooldowns on all the tiragardes small ones at the start of shrine an be totally happy with the amount of dps on a lot of targets which are not dangerous at all. And then come to 2 water blasting mobs they can not interrupt a lot and is just doing damage to the tank (but who cares, right?) . Happy dps :grin:

Im using recount to track damage.

I try not to focus on damage, i do use interupts where needed, but i dont like to broadcast it like some DPSers do in /s or /y.
To me thats just someone crying out to be noticed.
I tend to use meters as a gauge on my personal performence.
I tanked for a long time but its hard to get a metric for how well youre doing with that, i suppose i could look at damage taken and try and get it as low as possible? But anyway as for DPS its kind of new to me, the idea of trying to squeeze out those for extra DPS etc.

I like to think im a decent enough player i dont stand in fire, i dont yell at healers if i die etc.

I just want to make sure im focusing on the right things

Recount is bad dps meter, it doesn’t count downtime, so it’s results are false, i used recount till the start of bfa when i realised 17k dps on recount was 12k in reality, because recount didn’t count dps loss while i was moving. Using Skada now and it’s good.

2 Likes

DPS is a just a function of the dmg done. Both are important, for example if you have a dps check boss or a boss with a tight enrage timer DPS is what matters, but if you have a boss with a lot of non-important adds that can be killed whenever and are not a priority, the thing that matters in the end is dmg done to boss. In the end, both dmg done and dps are pretty much the same thing and if you don’t die higher dps will also mean more dmg done and vice versa.

1 Like

I prefer details to both, but Skada is leaps and bounds better than recount that’s for sure.

Yeah, dungeons is very different to raids. Where saving cooldowns and looking bad on one pack in order to deal with another more dangerous one more effectively is very common, the majority of my comments lean towards raids.

It’s actually not, it’s providing the group with useful information that your interrupt is on cooldown and that someone needs to cover the next spell. It’s especially useful to know who interrupted when there’s some pre organised / ad hoc interrupt rotation for a particularly dangerous mob with multiple spell casts.

Even as a tank this should be part of your gameplay / mindset. Tanks do a fair bit of damage in modern WoW, and optimising that whilst keeping yourself alive and the run controlled is about as important as a dps optimising their own rotation.

When you get to endgame, and raiding, you’ll be able to use logs for this purpose. Which is where my comments about needing to be able to do both mechanics and damage really become clear, as a TC / Discord moderator I spend a lot of my time helping newer or less experienced players optimise their raid performance, though I myself only recently came back to the game, I’ve kept my ear to the ground regarding the new raid tier and been able to jump back into things relatively comfortably.

Looking at your logs for the first time, especially if you’re trying a new class or spec, can be daunting, often demoralising, and this goes for everyone who might be reading this, but it’s a brilliant tool to see what you can be doing better, what you’re doing wrong, and ultimately one of the best tools to help anyone improve.

3 Likes

In general when discussing endgame content like PvE and PvP. The most important aspect of both scenes is to be a helpful player to your team/group. That can be doing a healthy amount of dps in the correct situations, or using cc’s/interrupts/cd’s when needed. A basic understanding of everything in a raid/dungeon can go a long way for you to perform better.
Knowing when to interrupt certain adds, when a certain cc is needed. What route is the most optimal this week, can i use my cd’s in these adds now and have it up for the coming boss?
Your ability to perform better in that content is for you to know when to what and why.
DO compare yourself to others, but not to see how bad you’re doing. Do it to see what you can do better.
I can recommend you to try and analyze whatever content you’re doing, and see what is needed. It’s not always that big dps is needed.
Alot of times when i host a m+ run of whatever difficulty, i will always appreciated whoever is interrupting/ccing/whatever at the right times. That means I have more time as another player to focus on other stuff if i was a healer or tank for isntance.

1 Like

I use Details and have it configured to calculate DPS on active time ala Recount too.

Calculating DPS on overall time is just another way to present Damage Done: an information I have already under… Damage Done.

In your example, a damage dealer has 17k DPS in active time, but very low damage done. This might mean he died early in the encounter, which might or might not be his fault. If it’s not his fault he might still be a valuable damage dealer if those 17k would have been enough had he not died and kept dealing it.

Basically, calculate DPS on active time and use it together with Damage Done.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.