Dracthyr and Neltharion are a let down that make no sense. Yes I love and will main a Dracthyr

From Legacies we understand Neltharion made us protect the world from the primalists (an elemental threat he would later use as “Deathwing” to fight us Cough Hyjal cough)

So why? Why not make the last battle against Raszageth, an ultimate exhaustion of his titanic power that made him think he needed the void to defend us and corruption follow?

The Death knights as we saw the conquered New Avalon and the Scarlets alongside the literal Lich King. The Demon Hunters on Illidan’s orders conquered the world literally holding the Key of Sargeras.

Dracthyr gather for the ultimate battle they were made for, lose, Deathwings uses powers he is already corrupted by that defeats the point of him using Dracthyr to fight the primalists in the first place and then locks us up.

I love the Dracthyr. I love how they play I love their inclusion.
But their origin and that which is by default linked to Deathwing feels LAZY.

We know Deathwing fell to the old gods and heard their whispers as soon as Christie Golden’s book depicting the fall of Galakrond so why just shoe horn in a lazy explanation? K I S S. Neltharion nearly lost with his supposed perfect army and turned to the voices that have haunted him for millennia. Not this “oh well lol did it anyway wait dracthyr who? here’s a purple portal”

1 Like

I totally get the vibe of this thread title, I really like how they play but the lore is… yet another missed opportunity.

Playable dragon people that were created as secret experiments from the most badass dragon in the game. That has all the makings to be top tier lore.

But the details surrounding their conception and experimentation are nowhere to be seen. It would have been amazing (and frankly, expected) to see perhaps old abandoned laboratories or experimentation chambers, research facilities or something as we play through the starting zone (unless I missed this? Please tell me if that’s the case!)

We had this in both Blackwing Lair and Descent. And yet, the biggest secret experiment of the black dragons of ALL - we see no tangible evidence of it.

That sucks.

That’s the nature of the beast with this sort of retcon heavy storytelling. I’ve not yet played the starting area nor the class, but it still strikes me as rather odd that a race which has been sealed for 20k-ish years would have any concept of what humans or high elves look like since they’re a development of the last few thousand years. We could learn more as we explore the black dragonflight stuff in the expansion proper, however that’s likely to be centered around Wrathion and Ebonhorn.

Why didn’t Deathwing use the Dracthyr against azeroth during cataclysm?

He didn’t have access to the Dragon Isles.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.