Draenei Shadow Priest?

I am considering a Alliance Priest, and want it to be “lore wise correct”. And since I have never really played a Draenei character, but secretly wish to try it, I have been considering a Draenei Priest :slight_smile: Velen is one of my favorite characters in WoW, so would love something similar to him hehe.

Now of cause… A Draenei Holy Priest fits perfectly lore wise, and I could see Disc Priest kiiiiiinda working with a Draenei, but what about Shadow Priest?

I have seen other forum topics trying REALLY hard to explain how a Draenei SP could work :sweat_smile: Like RPing something called a “Draenei Deathspeaker”, which is a NPC type found in Outland that I would probably more categorize as a Disc type Priest… Or a Draenei that “didn’t accept the Naarus blessing”… Or a Draenei that “has a shaken faith in the light”…

But what I wanna know, is how much is it frowned upon if a Draenei RPer walks around being a Shadow Priest type Priest? Is there a generally accepted way of doing it in the RP community? :slight_smile:

FYI: I’m quite aware that a RPer can ALWAYS find a “working” explanation for any race/class combo hehe… But I don’t want every RPer to question me if I’m a Draenei SP :sweat_smile: Having to explain a convoluted reasoning in all encounters, will get old quick :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone ^^

Well, Sargeras was so afraid of the Void, he cleaved an unborn tainted brother (prossibly Telogrus) in half and formed the Legion, because he would rather see the Universe destroyed than ruled by a Void-tainted…
And the Legion is responsible for the Man’ari and the bad name of the Eredar
And the Light is… well pretty passive in this regard, not really fighting, but flee for thousand of years and Sargeras not even considered the Army of Light a real enemy, just a nuisance, minor anyoance at best
And face it, the Naaru are not the best fighters, fragile crystaline windchimes while the Void and the Old Gods rule whole planets and could scare the Dark Titan…
So Void is a great “weapon” againt the hated Legion and Sargeras - in theory
Its easy to see how one first become a Shadow/Void Mage, then slowly become insane, losing her mind, like how a Warlock could be a “good guy” from his point of view, using the Demons, fel and Chaos for greater good (tho usually in reality he is long gone, like a dark Jedi. Of coruse even Sauron wanted law and order on Arda/Middle earth, not its destruction, but he simply belived this is only achiveable if he is in total controll hence the Rings and the whole lets rule the world)
Or maybe the Draenei in question simply lost faith in the Light and the Naaru, Anakin stlye… after all, they not really helped when Sargeras arrived, simply Eredar-napped Velen and co, then more than 13K years, they were running… oh except the chosen ones, the Light forged who were used as a brainwashed cannonfodders…

1 Like

I love the explanations you give. :slight_smile: But see… it is already getting extremely convoluted :sweat_smile:

Like trying REALLY hard to make something work, that just isn’t lore wise appropriate. For example, trying to argue for a Void Elf being a Holy Priest. Because you COULD most likely “make up” some lore/info to make it work… But we all know that it would be kinda frowned upon in the RP community… hehe.

Like… Imagine people constantly coming up to me saying: "You know, you probably shouldn’t RP a Draenei in Shadow spec, because it isn’t lore wise correct."

And then I have to give a long convoluted answer to explain why “A Shadow Priest Draenei is lore wise correct”. :sweat_smile:

When I feel like I have to make up new lore, or information that argues for something being “lore wise correct”, then I don’t see it being lore wise correct. :confused:

Well, you don’t have radiating cold darkness, extra eyes, mouths and tenctacles hanging around…
Like a good satanist or Warlock pre-acceptence, low profile, act normal! You looks like an ordinary Draenei, normal clothes, behavior and all…
Just the little things… whispers you hear, twiching eye, zoned out and look at the shadows, nervous tapping around priests and so on; especially after N’Zoth… low profile
90% of the RP time, you don’t use your abilites, spells, shadow form and toss around Voidy-pets…
You are just a Draenei… maybe a bit wierder sometimes, nervous and all, but you are an Alien after all. Among other Draenei like the Sargerei on Draenor, just play along
It culd be a great source of RP if you are discovered, or have to drop the “mask” so to speak, my dear Palpatine and save someone with a summoned void tentacle or something like that
The Shadow priest works with devastating mental blasts, and darkness, if you are clever, you could explain … or take care of the eye witnesses… :wink:
When it come to combat-RP , you have to be clever, blame the Mage or the enemy… what tentacles, what fleshy thing crawling on the floor, gnawing with a dozen of maws? Not mine, that was that eeeevil enemy who summoned it, I just broke the concentration and it turned against its master, Evil feeds upon it self… hey guys we discovered a cultist! Shame I had to kill him in self deffense before we could interrogate him… may his soul find peace in the Light!

Its not tattooed on your forehead “I’m a shadow priest”
Be a smart Void Naaru cultist and hide your true nature…

“Most of the members of the convent were old-fashioned Satanists, like their parents and grandparents before them. They’d been brought up to it, and weren’t, when you got right down to it, particularly evil. Human beings mostly aren’t. They just get carried away by new ideas, like dressing up in jackboots and shooting people, or dressing up in white sheets and lynching people, or dressing up in tie-dye jeans and playing guitars at people. Offer people a new creed with a costume and their hearts and minds will follow. Anyway, being brought up as a Satanist tended to take the edge off it. It was something you did on Saturday nights.
And the rest of the time you simply got on with life as best you could, just like everyone else.”
― Terry Pratchett, [Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch]

2 Likes

So what I’m hearing is that it is possible lore wise to play a Draenei Shadow Priest, but it is something I would need to hide since it goes against Draenei culture. :slight_smile:

Makes sense considering how much the light has cultivated the later Draenei society.

So with that knowledge, I think my issue is more with “not being able to openly let others know I’m a Shadow Priest”, and not whether Draenei CAN be Shadow Priest or not.

Which is a lot easier to make a decision based on. :slight_smile: I really appreciate the long answer. It allowed me to get more familiar with both Draenei culture, but also the Priest specs and their appropriateness.

I’m not planning on playing Holy (at all), aince I’m more of a Disc and Shadow player. So I will pick Void Elf as my Priest, and Draenei as my new Mage. :slight_smile: Mage feels a lot more fitting to what I plan on playing personally.

2 Likes

If I remember correctly, the Auchenai priests of Auchindoun were sort of shadow priests, as they used shadow magic to guide the souls of the dead. I am not sure how they are viewed by other Draenei these days however, but in the past they were definitely a respected order.

Necromancers
Technically, they were necromancers
Not surprising tho’ Argus, the Unmaker was a de facto “Death Titan”, and the Eredar were/are his children…
Summining the souls of the Dead, and boding the dear departed in to droids to make Vigilants?
Hardcore Necromancy… :skull:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.