Dragonriding is McDonalds content

Imagine the biggest feature of the expansion we have been waiting for years for to be…

We get to ride a dragon…
Covenants replaced with… well zone covenants v2.0… (yes another grind and barrier to entry, you must grind them to continue with the campaign, its covenants again)

Anyone else see through the fact they have taken something we enjoy (flying) and simply recycled it and now made it a different grind, its nothing new, flying a dragon, but they have taken something they know players like, and simple dragged it out as content, its not very impressive. Take something the players enjoy and make them grind it out… I mean, is this seriously the apex of the dragon riding? we get to grind for skins and fulfil mandatory barriers to entry such as collecting the glyphs we google for to be able to unlock all the talents. It is mcdonalds content to be consumed and forgotten about after the moment you collect the last glyph.

Am i missing something big thats coming with it? or is this simply it, its flying with a different colour of paint and more grinds put into it to flesh it out.

Its underwhelming, been flying dragons/drakes since the burning crusade. So far there really is not anything “new” its the same things, I guess i expected more from a billion dolla company to be able to produce something a little more, creative?

44 Likes

a handicapped dragon thats worse then any dragon we ever ride before.

smells like reverse progess all over again, first our stats then our lvls and now our mounts.

19 Likes

A lot of people didn’t want something creative. Because that’s what has been causing many of the issues people been having with WoW. A lot of people wanted Blizzard to go back to basics with DF.

But, Blizzard is damned if they do, damned it they don’t. There will be complaints no matter what they do.

55 Likes

worse? dragonriding can get you around way faster than normal flying. at most it kind of sucks for shorter distances, but for long distances you are so damned quick

71 Likes

The only downside to this system is that it’s limited to Dragons and since we only have 4(?) of them at the moment that are capable of this, there’s not really a lot of options. Would have been nice if at least the Dragonriding was available on the 50 other types of Dragons/Drakes.

7 Likes

Dragon riding made me to enjoy Open world again and I am happy with the whole Dragon riding. So I find the feature awesome and that is enough for me.

70 Likes

We didnt ride dragons before. We swam through the air on a more or less static model of a dragon. Not immersive in any way, shape or form.

62 Likes

Same as we’re now doing. Just a bit more involved (which to some people isn’t a plus).

Agree to disagree.

5 Likes

Anyone who doesn’t like dragonriding sucks at it and I wont ever believe anything else

95 Likes

I can assure you that dragonflying is not using swimming code in the backend, because swimming in WoW isnt momentum-based, dragonriding is.

13 Likes

But you don’t get player power from it, so it’s basically not the same thing.

10 Likes

Yeah . That kind of thing will always end up a gimmick because mounts are meant for travel and are basically an extension of the player character; adding additional steps to that doesn’t change that, it only makes it more obvious.

1 Like

Dragonriding is only inferior for short distances that involve gathering from nodes because it does not have time and speed to recover the vigor

100% this. The moment I go back to an old zone that doesn’t have dragon riding I want to get the hell out of there because of how slow it is. People who are complaining about dragonriding probably probably just suck at it. It has been implemented surprisingly well. Just finished all the advanced races and found them pretty easy. It’s amazing how responsive it feels at getting you exactly where you want to go without bugging out.

29 Likes

The map is tiny, so a normal flying mount is fast enough.

While you are levelling you cannot use your normal mounts. This has been the case since TBC. Dragonriding is cool because it lets you fly when in other expansions you would not be.

But that’s it. Once you hit 70 a standard mount is better because you can just hover, go make a cup of tea, come back. Much more versatile.

“it’s momentum, Jim, but not as we know it”…

Big, sweeping statements there…

Where? Which zone of the map you find normal flying too “slow”? Because most zones are tiny, you cross them in two minutes. All except the old maps.

3 Likes

to be fair - i stopped caaring about it - whether it is in game or not doesnt matter - my hunter hit 362 next week m+ open so i will just use flightpaths betwen dungeon and only time i will dragonride will be in nomads if its in this season .

i feel for casual players - they have nothing to do in game but play poor version of need for (dragon) speed .

1 Like

true - now it will be completly ignored by almost everyone unless its wq for gear on early leveling of your alts :0

1 Like

Just went to Bastion. Wormholed there to take the covenant portal to get to my covenant to clear my bag of anima and turn in the weekly because I couldn’t abandon it. Dragonflying is a MUCH better system than older flying. And I am sure that the majority actually prefers it to the older one. I’m sorry it’s something you don’t like, but you will either have to adapt or leave, because just like normal flying, people ain’t just gonna let it go now that it’s in the game.

13 Likes

It doesnt change the point. If ppl ignore it who cares, as long as it doesnt interrupt players progression i guess it’s the bare minimum.
Covenants in SL were slowing down every one progression

3 Likes

Bastion and all recent WoW maps are very small. For comparison, in the past it’d take you 10 minutes to taxi from Theramore to Auberdine.

4 Likes