Ebon Blade and Dark Rangers?

Pretty self explanatory, what would Ebon Blade/DK rp’ers think about regarding “taking in” Dark Rangers for now, while we have this clear issue going on?
Personally I think Dark Rangers could be a fantastic addition/asset to the Ebon Blade faction, among other…actual villainous factions ofc aswell until we know more, share your thoughts.

1 Like

It can generate interesting concepts of taking Dark Rangers under their wing and adapt them towards Ebon Blade duties.

1 Like

Indeed, I think so also, would be intrigued to hear what others think on this

You have Imhadria in Shadow Vault in Icecrown, being a Death Knight whom also equips a bow and has a pet.

https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Imhadria

But actual Dark Ranger like those of Sylvanas, in service of Ebon Blade? At least -I- haven’t seen anything on it and I doubt they’d be an addition, even if Skeletal archers as minions or those like Imhadria definitely have their place.

8 Likes

Yah I get that, but like you stated the wielding a bow thing, I remember someone in Ebon Onslaught discussing a similar topic at some stage and it sounded great, and Dark Rangers and Deathknights imo can relate, both former champions of some bigbad undead supervillain apparently trying to look for some new path that doesnt involve destroying the world

I don’t think it’s inconceivable for a DR to try and go that route IC, but the bulk of them seem to want to remain Forsaken if Velonara’s take is any indication.

1 Like

Well ofc, those who wish to remain Horde/Forsaken thats a way more natural path for them, I mean more specifically those wishing to rp within the Alliance circles, until we find something concrete saying they would be “welcomed” into the Alliance, the possibility of a neutral route in the Ebon Blade, people they would also imo fit in really well with, both being undead killing machines/elite champions-agents of bigbads

personally, as a DK RP-main, I would have no problems with it, myself… Mostly due to it combining my two most favorite races!

Aside from that, I do not think its a viable option; especially since we only have one lore exception of a “Dark Ranger” (Lorewise she might aswell be a Death Knight with a bow and leather armor instead of a proper Dark Ranger, especially due to her eye color)

^this one.

One has to remeber, just that one is raised as a Death Knight of the EBon Blade, does not mean they automatically forgot skills they learned before.

And incase of this “Dark Ranger”, it might’ve been a case of a Death Knight simply adding their new knowledge of Necromancy towards their old skills as a hunter, basicly making them Dark Rangers in the same sense as Sylvanas’ Dark Rangers. Except she is a Death Knight. And probably has a runebow(is that a thing? 3th Gen. DK’s can rune everything, right?) instead of a runesword!

1 Like

Dark Rangers are just Dark Fallen.

like this lady. And any other undead elf.
I think they fit fine.

Exactly so the idea of dark rangers joining the ebon blade isnt that insane

I have personally always been under the impression that Imhadria is a dark ranger. Red eyes or not. It could easily just have been an oversight on Blizzard’s part. It wouldn’t be the first time it has happened. I feel like that makes much more sense than having an undead elf who wields a bow, wears the same armor as Sylvanas’ dark rangers in the Howling Fjord and Frozen Halls, and has an undead bear, not be a dark ranger.

The Ebon Blade already have Lady Nightswood, a banshee. Sure, she’s the only one we know of (AFAIR) but I really don’t see why it would be a stretch to assume that a banshee would throw her lot with the Ebon Blade, possess her former body and pick up a bow.

I don’t know. Maybe it’s just me.

Imhadria is one example, though I wouldn’t weight everything on her alone.

Put it like this… If a Darkfallen wishes to join the Ebon Blade then what reason would either Bolvar or Darion have to say no ? It is a death knight order, yes, but we’ve already seen through Legion that they have a tiny bit more than death knights in their ranks. Necromancers and different types of Undead are also present.

I’d recon it depends on the individual dark ranger and they’d probably be a minority. Maybe they didn’t want to serve with the Forsaken anymore after what happened. Maybe they weren’t sure the Alliance will ever accept them. But they still wanted to do something like hunt Undead or so, in which case knocking at the ‘gates’ of Acherus would become a feasible option.

2 Likes

On the flipside, what justification do we have to say yes for them? I don’t think players should start deciding what types of undead the Ebon Blade accepts without an example to support it. All the undead elves in the Ebon Blade are DKs, to the best of my knowledge.

Now can you RP some outlier group in the Blade taking them in without caring too much about the upper management? Sure, of course. But I don’t think we should start deciding it for the canonical heads of the organization.

3 Likes

The Ebon Blade was ruined enough by Allied Race, do we need to dig a bigger tomb for it by accomodating for Dark Rangers ?

3 Likes

None aside from an npc that may or may not be a dark ranger/darkfallen. The lichfire eyes would incline more on the may not side, but still.

Other forms of Undead and even non-Undead (see necromancer) were recruited throughout Legion, but I get your point. What I’m trying to say is that I can’t really think of a reason for the Ebon Blade to deny them, not that Bolvar or Darion said okay, take them in. So there is space for that if people want to RP it that way, but as Hugues said it isn’t based on any given lore, but

Isn’t that the state of RP in general ? Considering Blizzard intends to make all classes available for every race in game you can expect a total disaster as far as lore is concerned. The existing Dark Ranger situation is just a small preview.

All races all classes want to make me find my true death.
I’ll gank any dark ranger I see, alliance or not, you’re on the naughty list

3 Likes

Said this in another thread but the Ebon Blade does have Banshees in its ranks so Dark Rangers are not really that large of a logical leap.
Should the assumption be made? Probably not, but there is a precedent just in case.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t expect anything less.

Yeah I fully agree that it isn’t a huge leap, it’s a simple step.

Just one that I don’t think should be taken by the playerbase.

1 Like

Back to the killing them all on sight plan then.