Echo - what are they exactly

I’ve seen the name “Echo” and “Echo of” various times.
I’ve also seen it outside of Wow, namely Locke and Key on Netflix.

Can someone tell me what they are exactly and how they are created?

1 Like

In warcraft specifically? Things like ‘Echo of Medivh’ or ‘Shade of Aran’ are mainly either a strong memory of that person left behind, a magical imprint of a past event, or a small part of that character in the form of (to quote Blizzard directly) “an avatar or vessel of power” which are typically in a location they have a strong connection too or have been purposefully left behind, like Medivh and Karazhan. In WoW specifically as well there’s also the law of sympathy:

“When someone handles an item, they leave a part of their own magical aura attached to it.”

The sympathy between a subject and the object used by someone becomes stronger with a more constant and thoughtful use. As auras vary with individuals, the vibration makes it possible to connect to the individual by affecting the item, and vice versa.

Among its practical uses, sympathy may allow a lock of hair to be used in a love charm, or a coin to be tracked back to its original owner. Similarly, an expert can read handwritten letters or books without having to actually read them.

Even before Warp-Scryer Kryv deciphered the Burning Legion Missive, he had been able to sense the hatred and urgency woven into the scroll

Usually it tends to be a plot deviced used as a way to recall a memory, or experience other peoples memories from the past to tell a story.

Thank you very much.

It is kinda like semi-sentient hologram that can interact with people to some degree due to large pressence of magic in that area or in some specific artifact.

1 Like

it’s not just holograms or images, echoes can be just sounds too, especially where there was a great tragedy.

If you go in the Throne Room of the Ruins of Lordaeron and turn up the sound to the max, you can still hear Terenas and Arthas speaking when Arthas killed him.

I definitely can hear there : “what are you doing my son” and “succeeding you, father” and “this Kingdom shall fall” like they said in the ending cinematic of the Human campaign in WC3, but there are more lines too I think.

Also Arthas directly heard echoes of his past when he was climbing up ICC and before putting on the Helm, but maybe those were just his memories after all.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.