Elune and Druidism

Greetings fellow lore buffs,

I’m wondering what the real connection between Elune and druidism is. I know that she is kind of a patron for the Wild Gods - Malorne and Cenarius in particular. And you can see all these crescent symbols in druidic contexts.

But what I dont get: What power does Elune represent? Viewing the cosmology map I get the impression, that druidism is all about the power of life. But Elune doesn’t seem to represent this force. She seems very much to be a deity of light or even arcane (I’m very unsure concerning the latter, considering the taboo of arcane magic in the night elf society).

So if she isn’t a life deity, then why is she so attached to the Wild Gods and druidism? Am I mistaken about her being a light or arcane deity?

Opinions very much appreciated.

1 Like

Elune chose Malorne as her Lover, so the connection is there with Cenarius(Their child) being a combination or Lunar power and Life. You can also see her connection to life with Goldrinn,the Worgen, and many animals in azeroth while questing. She is even noted to have some power over elements like water.
Elune herself is not present in the cosmology charts on purpose, they already hinted that the charts are from the Titan’s POV.

You are sadly, since she has clearly displayed powers from many schools beyond those 2.
Khadgar postulates that Elune has created the prime Naaru.
For instance after Ysera’s death Elune hastens the growth of the grass in order to make it look like a pedestal and then cleanses the Tears of Elune.
All her priestess’ use the power of the light however in lore it looks silver not gold, and we have seen in 8.1 a darker side of Elune with the Night Warrior, the moonwell was pulsating with dark aura/shadow energy and during the battle with Nathanos the spells used by Tyrande were void/shadow.( Sadly that could just be game mechanics)

To add, in the older lore the Night Warrior can gather the spirits of dead Night Elves and turn them into constellations. Elune is also associated with Rebirth/Resurrection as seen while questing in Ashenvale she revived a Satyr and turned him back to a Night Elf,she also resurrected Shandris Feathermoon from death in Seeds of Faith.
Elune’s power also allows the cleansing of Fel Magic with relative ease (War of the Ancients Trilogy Novel) as well as Void/shadow magic( Stormrage Novel).

From what I can gather as a huge Night Elf fan is that Elune is part of all the cosmology chart, hence a Goddess of Balance or a Void Lord that ascended the cycle of Light and shadow and now strives to control both sides.

1 Like

ELune is one of the most powerful being in creation. She is out of the scope of the " cosmology chart " (in my opinion) because she helped build the cosmos

In the first few paragraph of Chronicles we learn of an event that could be calld " The Great Ordering of Light and Shadow " were basically both of those forces would built the universe.

We learnt in Legion that Elune may have created the Naaru during this " Great Ordering of Light and Shadow "

In Chronicles the Naaru and the titans were created around the same time. Elune predates them. Which means she might very be a real true entity.

Moreover, in the old , now non-canon RPG books (light and Shadow), Elune topped every other entities of the WoW universe in term of level and challenge rating. Even if the books are non canon now, Blizzard had a precise idea of what Elune was, to put her above anyone else.

Elune is one of the creator of the cosmos, or one who inherited their power or their role.

[SL SPOILERS ] her influence seems to be on a cosmic scale and not bound to azeroth

1 Like

Elune predating the titans isn’t that amazing anymore tbh. The shadowlands predates the titans.

Also so far it seems there are two sets of beings in the shadowlands, the eternal ones and the first ones (progenitors).

We haven’t even met the life representatives or maybe even fel really. Sargeras could have been just using fel, but fel existed before him.

I feel it’s to early to jump to conclusions about Elune making the cosmos.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.