Emotional moments in BfA

The Burning of Teldrassil.

It usually takes a lot for anything to get through to my cold, dead and uncaring heart. But this did.

I think it’s a combination of different things.

It’s right up there with The Fall of Shakuras and The Destruction Of The Worldstone in terms of scale. Blizzard are very good at setting up the scene and underlining the fact that a major loss is about to happen.

The method of the genocide – innocent people being burned alive – is one of the most horrific and terrifying ways of dying I can imagine. And unlike Varian who got splintered to atoms with Gul’dan’s fel magic, then this is not a fantasy approach. It crosses the line and becomes relatable to real-life, and that makes it all the more horrific.

And it really hit home how dark the Warcraft storyline has become. Originally amongst Blizzard’s franchises, then Diablo was the dark, StarCraft was the geeky, and Warcraft was the goofy. Warcraft always had a whimsical side to it, but The Burning of Teldrassil is like the culmination of the story getting less whimsical and more dark over the past few years. It is way past the degree of horror and evil that the Diablo universe portrays.

So yeah, that definitely hit home for me. And I think if Blizzard hadn’t spoiled it at Blizzcon earlier – and it had come out as a surprise – it would have been even more emotional.

And the peculiarity of it is that despite the fact that it’s definitely the darkest story moment Blizzard have ever written for any of their games, I’m almost expecting Warcraft to get even darker in the coming years.

6 Likes

Early on I loved pretty much everything involving the Zandalari, the leveling, their culture, Dazar’alor, etc.

But as soon as the faction war story reared its ugly head and became the main story, everything just became extremely disappointing.

3 Likes

There is a night elf spirit questline in Nazjatar. Spirits are not aware of that Azshara betrayed them and they are also not aware of the situation they are in, they think they are still alive but we make them realize they are dead. We do that quest somewhere around Elun’Alor Temple.

A npc named Riathia Silverstar is the only one that is aware of the limbo situation they are in and she asks us to set spirits free.We set the spirits free by destroying the arcane power binding them to Nazjatar then when I started to walk back and turn in the quest a damngood emotional music started to play, with my highquality earphones it really hit me. I turned in the quest and clicked to npc to see if there is anything she says and there were these lines “My existence is sadness”.

If you really understand their situation you will also feel awkward. Their existence is completely meaningless they are both alive and dead or neither of them.

This quest is the equivalent of Runas the Ashamed questline to me quality wise except this one lacked voice acting.

2 Likes

it was unlocking the dark iron dwarves. Nothing since then. Maybe if they unlock mecha gnomes as a playable race I’ll have another happy emotional BFA moment!

No emotional moments, but I did like the Battle of Lorderon and the Burning of Teladrassil and of course Drustvar, which in my opinion is one of the best zones in WOW. Great storyline there too.

The burning of teldrassil. Also really enjoyed the warbringers.

I cry every time I get into a pointless Island Expedition and I have to spam them since they’re the only good way to level alts when timewalking’s not up.

Most places in Azeroth are like that. Like when you cross over from the Mars-like barrens into the forests of Ashenvale. How long have you been playing WoW?

Its weird… in legion i had many incredible moments… just the memes were really fun!
In bfa i remember the music of boralus, the turtle game with scrollsage nola and the cinematics.
Probably when i saw the turtle loa eaten was my saddest moment in bfa. But nothin mythic i have to say… the wrathgate is too far…

I gotta say i thought i would not have anything emotional to share but then i remembered how they butchered my death knight and all other classes i play with. Was very emotional indeed.

4 Likes

Nah, imo barrens & ashenvale is still borderline good enough. Not even close to as bad, wake up.

Also it makes sense because nelfs live on the other side and the dude in the cave cursed barrens. Also the pigmen probably ate all of the trees…

And why do you hide your profile, are you scared that I make fun of you?

1 Like

I got really emotional when Jaina brought the Kul Tiran fleet home.
The Daughter of the Sea tone playing in the background made me almost cry.

10 Likes

you cant include the music and art, which is basically great in every expansion.

BfA has been a flustercuck. the only good things really i would say might be the battle of lorderan (which was actually before BfA even came out? it was the prepatch?) and BoD raid, just for the jaina fight.

BfA has been a terrible part of wow, and has divided the community and created so much infighting between us (nothing to do with the faction war!) when we should be angry and upset with blizzard.

i would hope that the popularity of classic and the bad response to BfA makes 9.0 better, but tbh, i dont think this will be the case. the storyline and atmosphere may be better (like it was in legion) but i would bet that the actual gameplay, mechanics and ethical direction of 9.0 will be just as bad as BfA.

and thats sad :frowning:

3 Likes

I’m still getting very emotional when I remember how much they’ve butchered affliction and how clunky they’ve made the spec with shadow bolt spam. I cry when I remember how awesome it was in Legion, you know, a “master of drains” from the spec’s description.

4 Likes

No. It’s because I was tired of people saying “Oh, but you don’t even have X or Y” when this isn’t even my main. I barely play this guy, but just use it for the forum.

So real life areas don’t have really hot beaches yet same country snow on the mountains year round :sweat_smile: :thinking:

Cinematics, Enviroment and Art-departments holds up realy well as usual, it’s a true shame the gameplay allocated in most zones is shallow and short-lived, such a waste of a good setting.

That said, i did enjoy Mechagon, though that’s honestly about it interms of features added this expansion, downgrade of legion overall asides visualy TBH, i would be more excited about allied races if it wasnt for the fact that leveling is atrocious, and Leveling Classic realy showcases that aspect in a bad way, Heirlooms (never replacing gear leveling) and Teleporting everywhere just kinda ruins the activity of the ingame world.

I usually get emotional when my bonus roll on world boss gives me azzerite.

5 Likes

No emotional moments, liked saurfang storyline but it kinda got ruined when thrall jumped back to business. It was " no no no no not again" moment.

post edited

2 Likes