Enhancement, do we have a PVE future?

The week BoD released enh was a strong and competitive class(in singletarget fights), then mythic released and blizzard nerfed us to oblivion.
Raiding BoD mythic as enh, and boy is it a rollercoaster.
I find the class fun, but SO punishing.
You have to move? RiP DPS
You wanna survive? Sorry you have only a passive and a high CD defensive(Might be the worst defensive in the game).
Wanna do cleave or AoE? Well first you have to hit with CL to even begin the mediocre AoE.
Wanna bring something meaningful to the raid? Waterwalking seems great right?
So what can save enh?
More survivability, less punishing gameplay, more stable cleave, maybe less buffing mid fight(flametongue, frostbrand, totems. This is only a “problem” for primal primer users).
%dmg(this is of course a boring and meh way to tune classes. But the 30% nerf on all viable azerite traits was way to high).
I am no expert in how to tune classes, but the difference between enh the first week of BoD and the second week was like day and night.

Ironically, I often see Enh doing solid in M+ (the rare times I actually see them). As for their future, of course they do - even if it means having to wait for future tweaks. Reminds me of Prot Warrior on the release of BFA (IPain GCD issue), dropped like stone.

Wasn’t long before it was pushed to the moon with the next patch.

Enh in m+ is a struggle, i do find it fun, but seeing how the only solid AoE you have is a high CD(talent you chose, both highest AoE and ST pick, not really that engaging). Rest is you hoping the tank does not kite too much.

Don’t think the comparison to prot war is the best. Since enh has been in the weaker end a long time, and then they buff us, to only nerf us the day they release mythic BoD. Was kinda murder in broad daylight. Knowing blizzard i doubt they will double back on that.

I wasn’t COMPARING Prot to Enhance, I was saying how the game always has and always will fluctuate in terms of each spec/class usefulness with almost every single patch, never mind entire expansions that add more factors into the mix.

The point was that all it takes is one tweak to tip the balance, like the IPAIN issue rendering Prot Warriors into obscurity for the entire beginning-phase of the expansion, followed by removing the GCD restriction, pushing them back to No.1 without question – and soon they will be balanced again thanks to MDI and over-representation showing them as being too strong.

For Enhance, you just have to wait and provide your feedback. As far as I’ve seen/heard, it’s not exactly broken, just not performing on par with alternative class/specs. Given it’s not as busted as PWar was/is, it might take longer to see an actual change, but they do often notice when things become under-represented and pick a moment to normalize things, even if it’s as little as editing abilities damage-numbers.

First step is to see what happens in 8.2 and the new traits (and/or any other balancing they do alongside it).

I had an Enhancement Shaman in a +11 Atal’Dazor today and he was out-DPS’ing a Rogue and a Warlock on most trash and on the bosses. I don’t know how fun they are to play though, the whole Frostbrand/Flametongue/Rockbiter thing seems a little annoying and the AoE “Crash” ability also seems a little tedious to spam.

Well, the reason i don’t feel you can compare with any other tweak etc, is because they did that tweak with BoD release to then nerf it a before mythic released(point being they had NO numbers to backup the nerf). So saying we have to wait for another tweak to happen is really weak.
Enhancement has always been underrepresented, so going from 2k parses to 1500 is not something blizzard cares about in any way. The problem is that the class is underperforming(have been all expansion actually the one before as well).
Thinking feedback matters is naive, seeing how BFA was released.
You keep talking about tweaks like you don’t know that enhancement got the tweaks in 8.1 to then get stripped off their dmg when the actual content was released. So wait for another tweak, while knowing it can be stripped from you the second the actual raidcontent is released, sure seems comforting.

Ellowah

Well enhancment is still ok tbh for M+ and Raiding
But after the nerfs they did we just won’t top the meter and plateau on longer fights
Pulling 100k numbers on reapings is still possible but they just needs to be tightly stacked for it since our aoe has a small ranged compared to most other classes
I do think it’s a bit sad we haven’t gotten any love from Blizz except nerf after nerf
Even tough I do think the Primal Primer build is better then before creating somewhat more stability in the rotation only the frost shock feels forced on occasion in fights
In any case i’m still enjoying it so far :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is what takes the fun out imo. It’s not like its hard to play but compared to other classes… well, it is accually. We are not always against target dummies. Sometimes you gotta make up for mistakes of others and sometimes of your own. Which brings us down more than anyone else.

Even when you perform perfectly (which is rare, for me at least), its not as good as other classes. With this much drawback, you would expect perfect execution to be more rewarding. I have several alts and i can out dps my enhancement with worse gear and less effort.

It’s not like %10 difference… But against same gear players with same effort put into it… well its more than that.

I dont know about you guys but this “tight” and proc dependent way of dps accually makes me focus on my dps more than i pay attention to my surroundings. Makes me a worse player too. Not the same with my alts.

And biggest reality is… Whatever you say and what kind of a “master” you are in playing enhancement shaman. Community doesnt play it as good as you do. They log on to their enhancement, see that it’s bad and dont invite other enhancement to their groups.

I spend hours trying to get into grps. Sometimes people inv me and kick after they see im enhancement. Once a guy asked me if i was elemental (to invite to a mythic) and said “yikes” after i said enhancement.

Yes master players can make up for shortcomings of the spec. How about guys like me? Do i HAVE to main my demon hunter?

1 Like

Im going enhancement for pve when i get to 120, really fun ill let you know how it goes group wise

PvE isn’t all about Raiding and M+, you can go around doing World Quests and story quests (until they dry up) and then you can…

… oh no! You’ve got WPvP on! Better hope you heavily outgear your ganker or else prepare to have a rather one-sided fight!

All jokes aside, Enhancement is dead compared to other shaman specs and other classes but not quite dead dead. Its still there, just at the bottom of the pile…

You should definitely main your Demon Hunter. They have better recovery, better cleave, better defensives, actually brings stuff that the raid/group benefit from.
You won’t die as much, your rotations won’t feel as punishing. But you will most likely also die slowly inside :smile:

Haven’t had that issue for a long time, but i also have a “okay” raid io score and high ilvl. But enh is not that bad in m+, definitely not the best by a long shot, but can carry it’s weight. But you are squishy, depending on weeks where there is not too much movement(sanguine, necrotic GO AWAY).

I like that you have to play good to be competitive, but it’s problematic when playing good is not enough because you get punished way harder than other DPS. You don’t really have any bail me out abilities(i do hate those, but it’s part of the game, just not part of shamans).
On top of all that, i am also sad that you are pretty much forced to play troll if you want to play enh shaman. Depending on your azerite pieces you can go from 100-xxxdps increase in simply race changing to troll.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.