Faction Change broke my quests in 8.1

Since I faction changed this patch my character’s quests were completely reset and cant be completed.

As a disclaimer I had done numerous faction changes on this character in 8.0 and even once after 8.1 launched and there were a handful of quests that reset: The zone-ending Dungeon quests and some outliers such as the Dark Iron Allied Race unlock one. Naturally when I initially changed from Alliance to Horde I had to do all Horde-specific quests too, but once those were cleared the quests remained completed.

Now I have a quest log almost full with quests, both zone-specific and War Campaign ones, which can’t be completed because the NPCs are phased out, uninteractable or missing, ontop of other quests which can’t even be started due to the same issue.

I opened a ticket about this but the GMs keep telling me its a working as intended scenario when I have 30+ quests which are impossible to complete or start. Did others face this problem (particularly faction hoppers on the same character) and a fix for it?

As an addendum the character affected is this one, for some reason the Forums still used my warlock’s previous name

I have the same problem.
I transferred this character to the alliance but realized that i didn’t like it, so i transferred back.
The problem seems to be, that there is no phase, or world reset.
After i transferred back to Horde i just had all the quests in Zuldazar unlocked and like you i can’t finish the ones that have to do with phasing.

1 Like

Same problem switched from Ally to Horde and went back to Horde as Boralus and DH night elf are cooler.
It really messes up the quests, some are unique and can’t be ticked as done when you faction transfer. Still when you can’t progress or return the quest it becomes frustrating and game breaking in some cases. They relied too much on phasing and these things happen. Wish I never switched tbh.

The GM told me though that it’s a known issue and that the devs are working on it to find a solution. Not sure when a fix is supposed to drop but I’d really like to have quests I’ve already done gone for good. I don’t mind doing them again so long as it works. But it’s not the case atm.

Hey guys, sorry to hear you’ve had trouble with this.

Was just replying to another thread on this topic as well so I’ll post up the same info.
When you faction change multiple times it can have an effect on quests resetting (some but not all) and phasing too, which can cause issues where you have ! markers you can’t pick up, and ? markers you can’t go hand in because in the past you’ve already done it and the NPCs are no longer there.

It is something the Devs are aware of alright, but we can try to help as best we can in the meantime, might not be perfect but we’ll do what we can.

I have a few cases where there’s indeed no NPC due to the fact that the quest was already done before. Such as Tyrande’s call in Boralus that leads to Stormwind’s Castle.

So if I understand this right, GM could help us turn in/set these quests as done?

I have similar bug: after faction change from Alliance to Horde, i see lots of quests in Legion locations on my map as ! mark. But i can’t take them, and i am sure i did them before. One of this quests - “Warchief beckons” in Dalaran. I wrote to GM and he took this quest for me, then i completed the chain.
I am interested: should it be done with GM’s help on every such problematic quest?

Is there any update regarding this? Will it be fixed within this patch? It’s most definitely an issue / bug that cropped up as of 8.1 launching, because previously the only thing that reset was a very select number of quests (end of the zone dungeon Quests and the Told Dagor one on Alliance) and the outpost upgrades.

I would love to know before I decide to faction change only to have the Kul Tiran or unlock quests being unavailable due to the complete Kul Tiran questing experience (something Ive already done on this char) being botched beyond repair.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.