Factions need to go, kinda

I’d argue that pandaria was a faction war story too. But honestly I think that’s when the faction story peaked. And at the same time shown that it was a concept that needed to change.
But in essence what you said are some of the top reasons factions are a problem.
Blizzard aren’t doing themselves any favors. Never mind me and my role-play. Never mind the player that was bummed they couldn’t play a vulpera with their alliance friends(random example).
Staying this course simply isn’t doing them any favors.

It’s fine. Ofcourse you will have a harder time finding groups at a low item level / rio score. If you make your own keys more people will apply for it if they can see your rio is high. I do every single m+ or raid with pugs since I can’t stand guild raiding, and it’s been fine and good for the last 2 years i’ve been doing it.

1 Like

I disagree. The staple of blizzard’s success in any game is the moments they are able to deliver. Not many games have cinematics of a titanic demon stabbing a planet. Or a dragon flying around burning the whole world. Or demon lore exploding at the base of a world tree once defeated.
That’s what keeps people coming back for more. The big WOW moments.
As evidence of that I’d invite you to look no further under the comment section of the video of Varian’s death.
An alliance king who had horde players saying" when you realize you’ve been playing the wrong faction for a decade".
So I will again insist. Factions aren’t what’s keeping the game together. If blizzard decided to make optional neutrality or even if they forced it. As long as they had a cinematic or cutscene that had people’s hair stand on end from the awe. Everyone would be on board no questions asked. And they’d get over it as fast as they got over fads like " worgen are pandering to twilight fangirls"or “Pandaren are a joke race” and all that jazz

Maybe. But there still are pugs pushing +20 or higher every single day. Just not as many as in horde, since horde have more players. And +20 keys is something that an extreme minority of players do, just like top tier mythic raiding, so again, it doesn’t affect the average player.

Yes, they have one thing in common, sports in the case of the example you’ve given.
As you said for WoW is the same thing, Alliance and Horde players have one thing in common - the game that is, but I doubt many players would embrace the idea of joining a neutral faction. It’d be an additional cost without giving satisfying results in my opinion.

You’ve a valid point here. Indeed, ‘forcing’ someone to choose a Faction sacrifice the RP element of a game; but, again, it’d be an additional and risky cost for Blizzard.

Yeah, I guess it doesn’t, but it’s the main thing I’ve noticed after switching from Alliance to Horde

1 Like

You have a very Strange sense of priorities.

I’m all for letting us both benefit from kills - ie no going gray if the opposite faction player hits it first. That would made life so much easier. Maybe this could stay in the WM-ON but on a PvE side it is rather not needed (esp in bloody 8.3)

Factions should be like Shadowlands that we will never have~ pick one of four Covenants and kill all the rest :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Our Friend/Foe would change based by expansion zone we are and allies in those places :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ofcourse guilds would suffer by being faction demanding~ lets say that only by newest expansion (faction) because creating multiple layers would be impossible.

What I would do personnaly:

Guilds become cross factions.

You can group or be grouped via queue with other faction players in instanced content like dungeon and raid with a toggle in the setting to make them appear or not like they are part of your faction.

You can talk with players of the other faction if they are in your group or guild

Remove mercenary mode and faction queues in pvp, all queues are on an elo based system. You still have the toggle option to make your team look like they are part of your faction and the ennemy team of the ennemy faction

Warmode depends on if you are grouped or not, if you aren’t you stay in your faction while if you are grouped you are put in the faction needing more people with the appropriate bonus coming along. Same toggle system for appearances.

Open world doesn’t change, grouped or not you are Always hostile to the other faction pnjs.

2 Likes

People who criticize BFA’s writting and don’t criticize Garrosh being made a bad guy are blind beyond explanation (Not saying you did so, just my opinion.)

Well yeah u will have a small amount of people who will be otherwise.

But the demand to be a worgen is a minority.

And it’s fine what ion said? Lol, the faction split is important. It’s the only orginal concept they maintained in the game.

I disagree.

Slyvanus from her very first cut scene said she would betray the horde.

Garrosh was the absolute butchering of a character

Completely agree. Lore aspect can be kept if in the instance we all made to look from the same faction.

I am very much for cross-faction PVE. I have a lot of friends who mainly play Horde and although we often chat, we can’t play together. Besides, current faction imbalance where everyone and their families are playing Horde, could be resolved with such cross faction PVE.

For PVP we can also make it like in rated bgs - you can either appear in the instance as Horde or as Ally, regardless of your faction.

2 Likes

I agree and I have said this before in a similar thread, if the war is over and we are at peace, it makes sense that the factions would begin to mingle.

I like the factions in the game and I don’t believe this should be taken away. What I am saying is if there is a peace between the factions, you still have your faction of course but that does not mean that you cannot mix/play with the opposite factions. I am shamelessly cutting and pasting what I posted in another thread of a similar nature here, but “you would not lose your original faction specific rep, but it may be that you did have to work on the opposite faction rep.” This would add flavour as it would make sense that if you did go over to a previous faction specific area, you would need to gain rep so for myself on my horde character, I would need to gain rep on alliance factions. And for those that totally oppose the peace, that could be catered for too in the sense that Merc mode in this instance would make perfect sense.

2 Likes

When people bring up cross faction content people understand it at merging the faction completly but with the current tech we can keep the factions seperated in the story and world while being able to play together cross faction if we want to.

5 Likes

What cutscene? BfA cutscene?
Yes, Garrosh was a butchering of a character.
I did not like the announcement of “Horde council”, the Horde is tribal, the Horde is sort of ritualistic and strength is one of the valued traits in their traditions.
I could very well accept Sylvannas’s lore in BfA, because 99% of WoW players forgot the definition of a Banshee.
I would say she lost everything she cared about, why would she cherish anything else?
But yeah. I also hated the fact they just made Garrosh the bad guy outta nowhere.
He was THAT dream warchief to me…

Right. And you can’t exactly claim it’s uncalled for. I mean look at this post, right? There are clearly some people that want this. Look at the blizzcon Q&A where this question was posed. There were enough people cheering for this. And ofcourse people gesturing negatively meaning this isn’t exactly as much of a non-issue as people tend to present it as. Maybe faction neutrality is hard both in lore and game. But letting people play with their friends no matter what race they chose. Especially if it’s for instanced content is a good middle ground I think.

I just want someone from blizzard to at least stop bringing it up as a lore issue. It’s not a lore issue. Characters have worked together no matter their faction for years.
You get comics, cinematics and books. You get questlines that show you that working together is a good thing. And I’d shut my nerd mouth if blizzard stopped making such stories all the time. But they don’t.
And it’s unbelievably frustrating at times. Especially when in game storylines start contradicting one another.

This affects all levels of content and difficulty. My previous raiding guild was not a top-100 mythic raiding guild, and had no ambitions to be such, but they could still not find enough people anymore. They first changed the realm, which didn’t help, and then factions – which did fix the issue. I didn’t go with them, but instead stopped playing. Now I go random or with a casual group. My server can’t even sustain more than a small handful of heroic raiding guilds anymore on Alliance side, and one mythic guild that doesn’t clear mythic fast if at all. There are no mythic raid PUGs, and you know how long it takes for Alliance to fill the Hall of Fame.

Yes, you can find a handful of groups for M+ keys in the group finder even at 3am on Alliance side, but you have twenty-plus times as many groups to choose from on Horde side. You do the same range of keys I do, which is the mid-range. If we did +20-25 keys, I’m pretty sure we’d have to faction change to Horde in order to do them reliably through the tool.

There is zero benefit to playing Alliance regardless of the content you do and regardless of the difficulty you do it at. Horde is always the better choice from a community/MMO perspective. Story aside, Horde has won.

1 Like

The reason why i want factions to go - to make more space for a story line.
Tired of these peace/war cycles every 1-2 expansions.

Also, i think would be nice and fresh if they’d add some sort of guild-faction world pvp, with castles even maybe.

1 Like