Feedback on the Blackrock Depths Challenge

I have just finished the regular one and some 5 hours later the challenge version of it. I’ve also completed all the previous challenges. My collection has 1123 pets and I have a reasonable amount of them at max level, including the most popular choices. I don’t keep a double of any pet at all, I rather sell them. I don’t really go around to catch all rare quality ones or feel the need to level them all for no good reason.

The early stages feel reasonably challenging but not too hard and there’s a wide enough variety of compositions you could counter the enemy teams with.

The mid stages feel a little too random and the choice of pets that works is drastically limited. Very manageable with some experimentation.

Second to last one and the one before can be very annoying, mainly because they have the ability to deal random crits, which can completely ruin your progress and planned timeline of an individual battle.

No doubt that a lot of brainpower and theory-crafting went into making these but there is really no need to design the battles around three specific pets in the the whole game. The variety of viable counters needs to be greater.

Last fight is straight up boring and can be done with a single pet, I won’t spoil it for you by saying what I used. One fight in the middle of progress I prolonged to 175 rounds almost because of how inconsistent it was. I couldn’t get a proper alternate team that could reliably beat it.

First proper attempt on the challenge I failed miserably and decided to restart as I could go on forever and nothing was happening. Second time bad RNG messed me up on the penultimate battle by hitting me for 135 instead of 120, completely screwing me up after a two hour long attempt. Third time around I was close to failing, even puked in my mouth a little and started shaking, but I somehow got it, and the last one was a guaranteed victory with no chance of messing up a sequence, but it took forever.

Please, next time if you were to continue making these, don’t make them so hard, frustrating and remove the RNG enemy crits.

Without reading a guide beforehand a reasonable player without backup epic lvl 25 boost stones should not attempt this. Your first pet might often die sooner than expected and mess up your plans. You’ll then have a choice between staying inside and trying out with an alternate pet or starting all over. A single run can easily last anywhere between half an hour and a full hour, even with the popular Rematch addon.

All in all, great conclusion to the meta achievement, I really liked that it was a small arena this time around rather than having to walk large distances as in Wailing or Gnomer.

1 Like

The machine team was quite op i needed to use x2 tree to tank the first one and kill the second one with solar beam aoe while swapping heal all time :smiley:

Congratulations!

And that was a great description of your fight through to success. Well done!

I did it on PTR, but my experience was completely spoiled by the PTR copy cutting me off at 1000 pets, especially removing many that I specifically wanted and needed. I was pretty frustrated and disgusted with the whole business.

I don’t think it was excessively hard, exactly, but gimmicky. When you talk about the excessive crits, I assume you mean Therin Skysong. There is exactly one pet in existence that can remove his crit buff - the Ravenous Prideling. I did think it was bad form to require this pet to guarantee a win, but I see strats appearing now that don’t use it. I wonder how reliable those are. I may try them out next week. On the PTR, without the Prideling, I did get past him with Elementals, Sunlight + Ruby Droplet, but it wasn’t the most foolproof of wins, and in dungeons you are expected to farm for weeks, where you are put back to the beginning every time you fail, there is a premium on reliability.

The problem the devs have is that on one hand they would like to produce puzzles that an average player can solve on the spot, and on the other, they have to contend with the hive mind and crowdsourcing, with leading battlers working out and posting strats for everyone else to follow.

Overall, I think they did a pretty good job. And I loved the in-jokes. :slight_smile:

Hint: if you beat this, talk with the final npc and accept their proposition. Refusing will just make it impossible to repeat the dialog option without redoing it all over again. There’s a hidden reward.

I probably won’t be attempting this again anytime soon, even with two team options per each individual battle and with a pre-planned action for each round. A good number of battles is extremely tightly tuned and one deviation from the prior plan will completely mess up the remainder of the combat making it impossible to win.

This in the end is a very fun, challenging and rewarding experience. However removal of most if not all RNG factors would make this much more enjoyable for the average pet battler. In the end it is a 100% scripted event where the enemy will react the same way each following turn. Each play through after the first is exactly the same which completely diminishes any excitement and fun once you’ve mastered it, which I believe is a great argument why it shouldn’t be so frustrating based on one or two factors that you have no control over.

Actually, I do have a further comment on the BRD.

I certainly felt it before, but this addition is prompted by a discussion on Discord just now, where other people have the same idea.

WHY ARE THE PET DUNGEONS SUCH A SECRET?

There is nothing in-game that tells anyone to go look. Yes, if course, if you follow the third-party news and websites, you know all about it. It was probably mentioned on the launcher at some stage in the beta, but who looks at ads in the launcher?

For people who have completed WC, why isn’t there a pop-up quest to go see Breanni for Deadmines? and so on?

Or at least a visible questgiver in an area people have a chance of seeing at least once during the expansion?

Both the Alliance and Horde pet-shop places in BfA are hidden well enough to merit the attention of the Secret-Finding Discord. I have been to the one in Boralus a couple of times, when I knew I wanted something from it, but even though I know roughly where it is, I swear it still takes me 5 minutes to find it every time. Despite having Horde characters, I couldn’t do even that in Dazar’alor. I’ve been there maybe once? and needed Wowhead comments to guide me.

Two issues:

1. Manapoof Link: Blackrock Depths doesn’t work. After finishing Shadows of Blackrock, Manapoof still doesn’t offer BRD as a teleport location.
    https://imgur.com/a/TTNl6VK
    https://imgur.com/a/8OewJ5v

2. The Challenge version of the quest obtained from Burt Macklyn (nice Parks and Rec. reference btw) still references Stratholme.
    https://imgur.com/a/e94aovO

1 Like

Congrats!

According to wowhead, this pet dungeoun has been nerfed now following further feedback and testing.

Alot of the encounters were too RNG or relied on a specific breed rather than play choice or style.

I’m currently building up a team of recommended pets in line with the detailed guide on wowhead that has alot of good tips and recommendations.

1 Like

That’s great, thank you!

Some fight may have been nerfed too much allowing much greater number of mistakes, but Tasha Riley (2nd to last) seems just as frustrating as on week one.

Others I manage to keep without following the original move set, but this fight has a very frustrating degree of randomness to it. Not in a sense of her abilities, but in a sense of available counters on your side. If abilities don’t hit a certain number of times, or hit too many (Blingtron falling coins for example), everything goes to hell and you are forced to restart.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.