Finding AD very unfriendly to newcomers

Heard great things about his server but so far people have come across very unfriendly, especially horde side. How are new players suppose to engage in RP?

I’ve really tried to be respectful, and try to just talk IC with people but most of the RP I’ve done has been with people seemingly very elitist. Are there any nice players on this server or is all just cliques?

11 Likes

Horde side is much more guild focused, and so often guilds are not at the hub cities of Orgrimmar or Silvermoon.

It’s worth taking a look through the forum for guilds and finding out where they are so you can approach IC. Otherwise, just stick with it, I’m sure some of the bigger guilds will be back to Orgrimmar soon and they usually engage with everyone!

7 Likes

Don’t forget, the worst people are very vocal. I’m sure if you look around you’ll find more pleasant people in time!

Try getting a feel of the server to see how things work.

5 Likes

Sadly a lot of players in main hubs are more interested in chasing their lastest piece of romance RP than engaging in any sort of RP, regardless of your skill level or the story you want to tell. It’s not ideal

What kind of character are you looking to RP / where were you trying to hang out? One problem might be that if you’re using the character you’re posting on, it’s an obvious boost alt in boost gear so that might discourage some players at least - a lot of characters like that aren’t used in good faith on this server

39 Likes

Please don’t vieuw these arsehats as a representation of the server!
Sadly, you’ve met a rather small minded pool of players.
Myself, I am not really that acustomed to how and where Horde RP is held, but as said earlier it really is more guild bound. I would say, see where you wish to go with your character, read some guides, observe some RP scenery incase you’re very new to the setting and then search around on the Argent Archives or forums for a guild that would fit the character!
Imo, every decent guild should be welcoming and accepting of new players, instead of turning them down… Everyone deserves a chance to learn and grow.

5 Likes

I have to agree, they’re not much to take notice of really. Keep trying and you’ll find some good people who will be fun to role-play with.

Oh and OP, welcome to the realm. :slight_smile:

I’m using a boost char just to post, it’s not on that Check PvP website. I was trying to RP on a Vulpera/Tauren.

I had a weird experience of someone using Check PvP to find my main and use the fact she was on a former big pvp realm to say I’m gonna try to grief :confused:

I just want a change of pace in WoW, RP really interests me, just seems like there’s gatekeeping going on and idk if I should give up?

6 Likes

One day you’ll appreciate those roses. Stop returning their ashes to me.

Trial and error. It’s not always a running start and that’s a legit shame, but you’ll find a lot of coal before you come across a diamond.

I’d suggest (if you are so inclined) to keep an eye out for public events. Walk-up RP can be perfectly cool, but on the Horde especially, guilds and events tend to be where people come together with fairly open minds.

1 Like

So far I’ve had positive experiences with The Bilgewater Battallion, if you said that you are playing a Vulpera to approach people, you could try with them?

Keep an eye out for Rakkyt/Rakkit, I’m currently online if you’re cruising on AD at the moment.

You’re always going to bump into elitist or clique-y RPers at some point. Fortunately, that doesn’t speak for the majority of the server. If you’re trying to find RP on Horde, it’s worth trying to look for a guild/a community to RP with as there’s less random roleplay that side. Alliance is more a mix of both.

Also, do you have an RP addon such as TRP? It can be a lot easier for people to approach you and interact with you ICly if you have some information up about your character. It’s not necessarily essential but it helps greatly and lets other roleplayers know things about your character.

5 Likes

I do TRP3 but I’m not really sure what to put on besides what I’m currently doing and that I’m relatively new

You could probably just start to flesh out your character a little bit. You don’t need to put a big fancy, articulate description in the About section, but maybe something like filling in the first glances section for their appearance or some basic info and personality traits.

I also find it a lot easier to go up to people ICly if I have a question for them, for example, “Do you know where ___ is?” or “Have you seen ____ around?” It can help break the ice a little easier as opposed to just going up to someone and saying “Hi” and is also generally less awkward if you’re rping with someone for the first time.

As for the person who used Check PvP on you, that’s just petty. I wouldn’t take that as a sign to give up on RP though, as there are so many friendly people on this realm who are especially helpful towards new RPers. Keep browsing Argent Archives and the forums for guilds/public events/things going on!

4 Likes

Please don’t give up, RP is far too much fun and I’m sure between the forum people we’ll find you a great guild.

I would suggest Red Venturers - they’re a mixed race, take vulpera too, and a bit hard to describe so here’s there post for you:

6 Likes

Horde is pretty guild based but you should find roleplay regardless. Never had a problem with it myself.

That is beyond creepy.

Just basic stuff. Maybe what your character is currently wearing. What details your character got like pouches, bags etc. Just small details that you might need or come in handy.

Maybe also find a guild who will teach you the basics.

As I mentioned the Batallion, I might as well link a thread for them; [PCU/Goblin/H/N-RP] B.O.O.M.T.E.C. Incorporated (and side guilds) - Mercenaries, Soldiers and Guarantors Wanted!

3 Likes

Swing by and find me or any other Hand of Conquest member. We are more than happy to help you out and give you tips!

7 Likes

Persevere, you’ll find a community or niche that suits you and from then on it’ll be fine. If you’re worried about people reacting negatively to inexperience, put it in your OOC tab on your TRP or send the player in question in a whisper.

It’s a learning curve like everything else in WoW but I’d like to think most roleplayers won’t ostracise you out of hand. There’s a big element of “fake it till you make it” to RP too. Start with nice simple characters and try to be the person who initiates a conversation even if it feels really uncomfortable. It’s a confidence game to begin with but once you fall in with a guild or community you like it’ll get better.

If you’re playing Horde, I can also recommend doing a little background reading on some of the guilds and communities available as lots of the Horde RP scene are engaged in events and initiatives outside of Orgrimmar. Plenty of discords too if that’s your taste.

Good luck!

3 Likes

I dont know what mons you have faced, but ivbeen helping and chatting with countless of peoples, new mons expecially, and helping them to build their characters, lores, classes etc. and they are now succesfull roleplayers and having a blast, seems like you had really bad luck while trying to contact with other peoples. But lend me a more messages if ya really seek help or want to chat!

4 Likes

but i’m pretty vocal…

We’re not openly advertising yet, but my guild is newbie friendly. I recommend you give Ranko/Orinobu, the guild leader, a whisper in game if you’re looking for Vulpera RP.

Even if you don’t want to join the guild, we’re more than happy to RP with you. We’re currently camped at Sun Rock Retreat in Stonetalon with a bunch of other guilds.

I’m also aware the Dunetail Caravan are welcoming people to RP with them down in Tanaris, too. Likewise, I’ve seen the Dust Scavengers in Durotar. They’re probably the largest vulpera guild right now.

I also recommend the Bilgewater Battalion. I’ve had brief encounters with them in the past and they’ve always been pretty cool. They’re not purely vulpera, though.

There are a couple of other vulpera guilds but i don’t know much about them yet. I hope you find what you’re looking for, OP. Welcome to AD :fox_face:

1 Like