Fistweaving/Mistweaving and Mastery

Hey all,

Looking for a bit of guidance here as I am intending to give Mistweaving a serious try in S2. Merely guidance and advice as to how to make good usue of MW’s Mastery as efficiently as possible.

I’ve not really considered a healing role since dropping it in its entirety in BFA so pointers would be amazing! Like, is it worth gearing towards it? Or is it worth just passively gearing it? Sitting at 2k/90% Mastery right now and I am unsure if that is a good amount or too much.

Other than that, all I really understand behind its benefits is that it’s best used with Chi-Ji for the burst healing per minute.

P.S. mainly for M+ really, as that is the bulk of where my attention goes. The Rating was mostly done as a BrM so a lil’ deceptive of my exact experience.

1 Like

In general, mastery seems to land about middle of the pack. It buffs Chi-Ji a lot, but that’s also stuffing more power into an already powerful cooldown and you may not feel the need. If your Chi Ji windows feel overkill and the opportunity presents, you may want to Catalyse something with mastery into not mastery.

For fistweaving, haste above all. Dump anything for haste. On the whole, Dragonflight probably won’t give you enough gear to be picky about the other stats - outside of the Catalyst, at least.

For caster mistweaver, mastery does work out a little stronger, but still not really our top stat. Haste still serves us well here. Even built for casting, we’re going to be stood on the edge of melee so speeding up our casts is valuable.

If you have an interest in caster MW, consider the new Temple of Mists discord, which as I understand it was formed after a bit of a disagreement with Misty Peaks about whether caster MW should in any way be talked about. Idk the details.

https://discord.gg/ggh2rlpdos

And make sure you’re following Megasett on youtube - she is very good with her MW tutorials :smile_cat:

Thank you for the responses!

I did not know there was in fact a viable Caster MW build out there! I’ll take a good look at this too. But it seems i’ve recrafted my gear a little incorrectly, as most seem to just go Haste > Crit…

Haste+crit is pretty solid, although the higher the content you want to do the more you’ll want a decent chunk of versatility to take the edge off the incoming damage.

MW caster build is surprisingly viable, at least until you get to keys above 20 or so. It is not optimal because you lose a lot of dps due to not taking Faeline, and realistically if you want your stun and interrupt to be available you still have to be in melee. The down side is you lose almost all your dps, but the up side is your heals get more predictable, directable, and overall stronger. In 5-man groups where the weakness is healing output, caster style might help.

Rife has a bit of discussion about it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE8IMzsBdgU

Personally, I think caster style is a nice way to tick off like a 16 in a pug group where all I want is the crafting material at the end. It’s a little softer and slower than fistweaving, and the big directed heals tend to help out in a disorganised group where people are standing in the fire.

Buuut in the end, all advice for higher content, or better optimising, or working with a more organised party is to talent to fistweaver. The 10.1 changes look good, the 10.0.7 and 10.0.5 changes have all been good, and they all benefit fistweaving more than caster. If you’re playing with friends and want to do everything you can to ensure keys get timed; fistweave, because you’ll do a lot more damage and take maybe 1-2 minutes off the timer. Doesn’t sound like a lot, but given how many times I’ve failed timers within that window, it does drive home to me the value of healer damage :joy_cat:

A bit unfortunate that the caster style is limited to lower end of keys, but thanks for the huge amount of help either way! I did hear that the incoming 10.1 changes will be good, but i’m not exactly sure how since i’m still new to this. But i’ll be happy nonetheless.

I suppose some problems that still catch me off guard is getting panic heals rolled out. Fearing mana bars aside, it does genuinely make me die a little inside seeing the party lose a huge amount of HP and just feel I have no way of dealing with it.

It’ll come with more experience, I guess.

Either way, thanks again! I’ve changed to a Haste+Crit, with some Vers investment (was easy since I’m formerly BrM). And will see how this goes!

1 Like

The disagreement was about spreading false or very questionable information. There’s a VERY clear winner when you decide on purely numbers what is better. And we as a discord will not support guides or tipps that will make you end up being the absolute bottom of the barrel.

You can play whatever you want, but dont spread lies about performance. Which is very easily proven by numbers, logs and rankings.

That’s fair - as said, I don’t know the details of it, just a 3rd hand report.

I see people playing caster MW at 20-21, and have played it in 19s myself, but I’m not sure how high it can go. It honestly does feel good for ticking off 16s with pugs though, and people have consistently responded positively to the build within those limits.

That said; 10.1 might make fistweaver feel closer to caster anyway. Removing the RNG from AT will be huge for making our party maintenance heals feel more reliable, and that has always been the draw for me :smile_cat:

Honestly i’ve been following that build that streamer you recommended and it has been going well. Rising Mists over Shaohao has really helped putting a bandaid on my panic healing troubles. The fact that there’s always something to press in case fistweaving is not doing enough has been a godsend.

Though if you could help clarify: What is happening in 10.1 for MW anyway? I had thought the change was already placed but I seem to be mistaken.

Ancient Teachings splits between up to 5 targets, as needed. It’s going to feel more like a party-wide HoT than a random spot heal that may or may not drop on the right person.

There’s also a huge 50% buff to vivify to replace our RNG spot healing with a targeted one.

There are some other changes too, but it’s midnight and they escape me at this time. Possibly relates to having less ReMists out in a raid but idk for sure. I believe LBNinja on youtube did a video on them today :smile_cat:

2 Likes

Kind of off-topic from your OG post, but since you’re the OP I think it is fine for me to follow up.

The major changes so far were some vivify adjustments (cleave down, main target up), 2pc breaking us almost completely free from any mana issue and the Ancient Teachings adjustment.

The vivify change didnt have any big impact directly. It doesnt really change when you press that button, the selection of the maintarget is just getting a bigger reward.

The 2pc is a major thing though, because spells like enveloping mist which were incredibly expensive to cast on a regular basis are now usable in a frequent manner without running oom in a minute! Actually, during raidtesting, I could NOT oom myself while playing to a reasonable degree - which was casting 10 enveloping mist per MINUTE in bossfights. This can open up a lot of opportunities, but Rising Mist will remain as the strongest talent in the whole tree.

The AT change is overall a win. It is really hard to create massive overheal now, especially in raids. This did not come at zero cost, as you will never get a huge hit on anyone anymore, unless you only have exactly 1 player with less than 100% hp. So AT will never (admittedly by chance) remove 1 player from the pool of dangerously hurt players. But that’s something we can play around.

Funnily enough, in raids, Clouded Focus looks like a strong contender and might take over Ancient Teachings. Because CF’s modifier is multiplicative with our 4pc, so Vivify hits quite like a truck. But that’s just an outlook based on CURRENT tuning, any patchnotes might throw this over. Because Ancient Teachings is the heartpiece of Mistweaver (even Blizzard said so).

2 Likes

We will actually have more Renewing Mists on average. Because pressing Enveloping Mists gives you 1 additional 6sec Renewing Mist thanks to Rapid Diffusion. So the baseline number of Renewing Mist is virtually unchanged compared to 10.0, but you can just cast a few Enveloping Mist without worrying about mana to get a short Renewing Mist peak outside of Yulon or Chi-Ji

Add dmg to mastery, see what happens :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.