Fixing the Mythic+ Affixes

Mythic+ is one of the most competitive activities in the game, yet there is no consistent way to measure skill.

Semi-Randomly rotating affixes make some weeks noticeably harder than other weeks.
The issue with the current system is you will effectively be gatekept from having a high score because you didn’t play a certain week. Be it because you just didn’t play that week, didn’t have enough gear to push or because you rerolled.

Without wasting more time on describing the problem I’ve come up with several solutions that should enable you to play compete in Rating Leaderboards as fairly as possible.

One solution is to implement score multipliers that are balanced arround each Affix.
For example, using arbitrary numbers, Tyrannical and Fortified have a base multiplier of 1.05%, the ‘harder’ set of the first Affixes like Incorporeal and Afflicted have an additional multiplier of 1.15% while Volcanic, Entangling and Storming only have a multiplier of 1.05% or 1.10%.
For the second set of Affixes, Raging and Bolstering should have the highest effect on score, Bursting and Sanguine are slightly below the former and lastly Spiteful having the least impact.
The point of having individually balanced multipliers on the Affixes to lastly finish it off with the party leader being able to choose the Affixes after a certain key level (arbitrarily saying +20 here)
The gearing ‘challenge’ for non pushers would remain in the game by having lower keys use the current system.

Another solution would be to have a fixes set of Affixes for every Key Level and Dungeon somewhat similiar to how it is in MDI.
As an example, Dungeon A on Key Level 20 has Affixes A and B, which then change to Affixes C and D.

The general idea is to make the compitition fairer by giving anyone the chance to play a certain set of Affixes in a given Dungeon.
Mythic+ is the activity which is laid out to be pug friendly, which should also mean it is fair no matter when you play. Raids don’t get random different mechanics outside of Fated Raids, Dungeons shouldn’t either.

Too complicated.

Just ditch affixes. Then either (A) keep the “no affix” policy. (B) keep the non intrusive ones (like fort/tyr) and/or (C) implement kiss/curse affixes.

DONE.

As for the ladder, what needs to happen is to ditch the “overall ladder”. Have the rio ladder be based per spec. Not overall.

That means that its easier to achieve the 0.1% if you are a non-meta spec vs. a popular FOTM spec.

It would incentivize playing non-meta specs.

And then, add more rewards between the +20 portals and the 0.1% of rio. Its ridiculous that there is no reward in-between “pleb” and “best 100 people on the planet”.

DONE. You got yourself a healthy ladder right there.

Affixes are what keep M+ more or less fresh. Without Affixes it would get stale insanely quickly

I heavily agree with this point. Kiss/Curse Affixes that reward properly playing around them used to be a very healthy and fun thing (think Prideful which incentivized different Routes depending on Week. I’d hope to see a more complex iteration of this gameplay effect)

I’m kinda conflicted about this. On one hand I think it’s a good idea because it wouldn’t incentivize playing purely Meta, but one the other hand it would devalue the Top 0.1% title somewhat because on Meta specs you’d have to achieve objectively harder feats. Furthermore, single Off-Meta specs could be boosted by an otherwise Meta group comp which in my eyes would be similiar to trying to compete against Power Infusion logs while not have Power Infusion yourself.

I agree with the Rewards but I really don’t see how they could implement any meaningful reward other than what is already ingame right now.

1 Like

Common… really? You would be correct any other expansion. Not this one where we get different dungeons every season.

And what is so fresh about “fortified bolstering” ?? It means: The week before I did ToT27 and depleted it by 2s (almost there !!!) And “fortified bolstering” week I can barely time it with 30s left to go on a 26.

How is that even remotely “fresh”?

Nah. With out kiss/curse mechanics (only curse) what you get is : Push weeks and “No Push weeks”. Thats what you get. Nothing fresh with that.

So until they add the “kiss” part and reward a good affix execution, I vote to delete them.

And to be honest, people have been asking for kiss/curse mechanics for a really, really long time. All we got for our “feedback” is nerfing affixes, and/or deleting adding new curse affixes (afflicted and incorporeal ?!?!?! WTF is THAT).

So after witnessing this blatant blind eye from blizz. I don’t trust them. DELETE AFFIXES. Enough hopium for the season.

So what? Its 1 group that takes 1 person that is off meta. That is better than today where there are 0 groups that take off meta specs. :slight_smile: And the few that do should get rewarded for it.

Also, I would hardly consider doing 28s and 29s as “boosting”. The off meta player will have to carry its own weight. Otherwise its not possible to time those keys.

Heh?

We’ve been playing with bolstering for a looooooong time.

Same with tyrannical & fortified.

At this stage I’d also advocate for their removal.

Affixes were introduced because the dungeon pool was fixed for a whole expansion, thats no longer the case.

It’s really as simple as that.

I feel this would emphasize balance issues more. Right now, you just need to do 20s for the last M+ reward that average players can realistically achieve, and it can be done with any spec. If you add meaningful rewards for, say, reaching 3500 rating, some specs would have a much harder time reaching these. I understand the desire for a reward between ~2500 and ~3800 or wherever the 0.1% cutoff is.

I sort of agree with awarding the 0.1% title per spec, not overall, though one issue is that non-meta specs would probably have to play with meta-spec players in order to have a chance. But that’s the same now, just more so.

I think I do, too. I mean, on paper, I like the idea of affixes that add variety, but in practice they don’t ever impact my experience positively. There’s either a feeling of mild relief that it’s the lesser evil, or just read and not wanting to play at all. There are no affixes that feel good or that are fun.

Mechanics that actively deter players from wanting to play the game are probably a failed design. The affixes don’t have a positive trade-off, no “kiss/curse” element. They are either “crappy” or “slightly less crappy”, but never “fun” or “more fun”.

That is why I added this part:

That would homogenize the issue you are mentioning. Let me give you an example: ME

From Raider IO: Right now, I am “top 13922” in the world out of 3451392 characters. That would put me in 0.4%.

However, I am also top 173 RShaman in the world out of 123995 RShamans. Which would put me at top 0.14%.

So that 0.3% difference might not seem like much, but that difference stems from the fact that RShamans are not a meta spec. There are “less people” playing it. Simple as that.

In practice it means that if I time 2 28s (something totally possible to do) I would qualify for the 0.1% reward (if you count only RShamans).

Meanwhile with the current reward system I am so far away from the 0.1% title that its impossible to achieve. It cant be done. So why should I even try?

So there you see that should the 0.1% reward be counted by spec, you counteract the issues you mentioned (easier for FOTM to acheive).

In fact, if you apply my suggestion, it would be objectively easier to achieve with the LEAST FOTM spec possible, incentivizing their play in turn.

Also, it would be a neat reward for people that dont play the FOTM spec and in turn prefer to master 1 spec and take it to its absolute limits (or try to at-least…). Regardless of power.

Now, 0.1% is a bit too much IMO. You need things “in between” as well. Top 10%, 5%, 2%, 1%, 0.5% should all be in there.

I dont like the fact that the current reward system does not reward people that reach… say the top 2%. Reaching the top 2% is an effort someone put. Granted its not the “best in the world” but I can guarantee you that people that get to top 2% are people that genuinely put time and effort to timing those dungeons.

They should be rewarded too.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.