Flameshock CD

Hello fellow Shamans and hello Dev Team,

this topic is focused on the PvP state of elemental shaman. Im from EU and not native english speaking, so ill do my best to explain my complains about the issue coming with the 6 seconds flameshock cd. The issue persists since the beginning of BFA and is (even with the necrolord Primordial Wave spell) really frustrating to deal with.

The major damage and maelstrom regeneration in PvP combat is mostly coming from Lavaburst (even after the upcoming nerfs to LB). Not just due to the damage of LB, but also because of the fact, that normal lightning bolts are not worth casting (outside of stormkeeper) because of the low damage and the risk of being locked out on healing, totem and ghostwulf school. So in conclusion it is super important and a major aspect of dealing damage to always have at least a flamehock on your main target up.

To bring it to the point: the cd of flameshock feels slightly too high and can feel really clunky in the rotation. And since its a major aspect of the damage rotation of elemental shamans … it can lead to frustrating situations, were you are struggling to event keep your main rotation going. And imo the damage rotation should feel fluid and natural.

To give you some examples I regularly experience in (mostly) rated PvP (everywhere between 1.6k cr and 2.8k cr):

1. Arena: the enemy healer is focused on dispelling my flameshocks. My flameshock cd is 6 seconds, his dispel cd is 8 seconds. He can basicly dispel any flameshock I put out, outside of the ones coming from Primordial Wave (45s cd).
    This example gets enhanced by the holypaladin pvp talent “Cleanse the Weak”. In this case I can have 3 flameshock rolling on the enemy team, and he dispells every one of them with one dispel in a 40 yard range without punishment. Now this is the pinnicle of frustration!
  2. Rated Battlegrounds: I am not able to swap on any target calls directly because i need to wait for a flameshock coming up.
  3. Overall: I often find myself having left 1-2 globals on the flameshock cd and no other button feels worth pressing. This just leads to a clunky feeling in the most basic part of the rotation.

I just wanted to bring back some light to this topic. Tell me what you think and have a good day!
Synkro - Blackrock EU

8 Likes

Sorry for uploading this as my rogue from WoD. Seems like i wasnt around these forums for a while ! :smiley:

1 Like

I agree wholeheartedly, especially with the whole dispell thing.

It is kinda annoying in PvE too, especially in case I need to quickly change focus, automatically press lava burst on new target and after it is casted I realize, that I can’t apply new flame shock as it is on cooldown. It is pretty lame, I know, but it just happens.

I can understand that spreading flameshock too easily on multiple targets would introduce a huge issue with too many surge procs, but it should be addressed at least in PvP.

I actually miss some anti-dispell mechanic like Lava Flows, which felt pretty great and it made opposite side consider whether it is worth to dispell flame shock or not. And I did not feel completely useless when it got dispelled. It might be a solution which would not imbalance PvE.

I was so happy we got the primordial wave even though it doesn’t fix the frustrstion of fs cd completely.

unfortunately the way things are going shamans will be most likely be at the bottom by the end of the expansion :slight_smile: they are crying for buffs and they get nerfs instead

7 Likes

They did pull a decent balance between ease of use and spammability with the initial Legion version of Flame Shock, but then they backtracked on it, in like 7.1.

It had no cooldown and a 15 second duration but it would consume up to 20 Maelstrom if available, to double its duration.

I feel that this was probably the best version FS that we’ve had. You could use it at any time but maintaining it on more than 3-4 targets would be pointless as you’d be getting nearly constant Lava Surges, so you’d be better off spending Maelstrom on other abilities past that point.

Flameshock being on cd is literaly forcing every ele to play necrolord. reduce cd or remove it and u fix multiple problems… :confused:

3 Likes

To pve i would like some spread mechanic like lava burst is spreading your flame shock to 1 additional target, this way you can’t spread it too fast, but there is a way to do so.

2 Likes

Cd on flameshock is so bad in pve also. Not only that, It’s duration is 18 seconds which means that if you don’t have fire elemental or primordial wave up you can’t multidot more than 3 targets. Some obvious fixes that come to my mind:

For PvP (fixes dispelling issue)

• Remove cd (most obvious one)

• Make a pvp talent like other dot speccs have like affli, spriest ( for example when flameshock gets dispelled it explodes dealing significant damage and stuns the target)

For PvE (fixes multidot issue)

• Reduce cd / increase duration

• implement a new spread mechanic ( for example a 45 - 60 sec cd that enhances earthquake and make lava to start pouring out from the ground and spread flameshock to all targets at the location)

5 Likes

Completely agree in many ideas exposed here to make flamesock better, Ive felt this spell frustration.
Problem here is that devs should have redesigned this spec by this time and they wont do anything big up until next exp if they do.
Wharever we can get from this point foward will be coming from borrowed powers im afraid.

2 Likes

how are we getting nerfed ? ele shamans got slightly nerf on lavaburst , but big boost on earthquake and earthshock

Enhancement is getting buff left right and center
Every covenant ability is getting buffed exept venthyr , and necrolords only buffed for enhancement.

Well the CL and EQ buffs are absolutely worthless in PvP. Maybe it’s becomes kinda good for AoE pressure in RBGs when paired with affli lock/boomie dmg but even then I’d probably prefer the priority target burst damage an ele can output to instagip the called target.

In arenas you’ll never see anyone cast CL or EQ ever…
Granted, ES was buffed but since it’s not part of our burst rotation I’d overall consider it a nerf.

Keep in mind this thread is about PvP, not PvE.

hum i see , i wish there was a pvp talent to reduce the cooldown on flameshock , or to apply to a nearby target (like twin moons for balance druids)
But the removal long time ago of the dispell buff we gained (70% haste for 8 sec if i remember correctly) was a strong hit , but tbh now we can flameshock right after casting a lavaburst for forced crits so the only issue i see is about lava surge proc right?

Kills your burst though. The GCD you need to re-apply FS makes your burst window much easier to react to, which it already is anyways since you need 5 GCDs + a 1,5 sec cast.

Dispelling FS after you used Primordial Wave + Echoing Shock basically completely kills your burst window because re-applying FS would either consume Echoing Shock or again add another GCD to it, assuming you have the regular FS not on CD.

completely out of the way but i need to tell you that you can echoing shock after the first cast of lavaburst it will duplicate the one you shoot with primordial wave :stuck_out_tongue:

Not exactly sure what you mean. Are you saying that you can cast Primordial -> Lavaburst and after that you can echoing and this echoing will copy the lavaburst which is shot from the Primordial “procc”?.

Does that really work consistently?

yes tried it at first and now i’m doing it all day everyday on my maldraxxus shaman You just Primordial wave => lavaburst => echoing shock and see the results :smiley:

Thanks for that. I’ll give it a shot. :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.