Flaunt your (character's) flaws!

Since the old thread died, here’s a new one offering the same vaugely interesting question: what flaws does your character possess? It’s all too easy to write your way into various strengths when designing a character but let’s see some robust flaws.

For your reference and perusal:

None of that “I’m so gorgeous that it’s a curse” nonsense if you please.

5 Likes

Let’s see, I have a lot of chracters, so I will try not to go too indepth. Will post more characters later, to try and keep your post alive this time! =D

Neimya: Unlucky kleptomaniac. Can’t resist stealing things! Is often unsuccessful.

Varithari: City Elf, doesn’t fit well in elven culture, lives among humans, -10 to all rolls involving elves, +5 to all rolls involving humans.(Negative to knowing elven history, positive to human history and fitting in at taverns.)

Varethel, Myasma, Mentula Magna: Insanity, random bonuses and negatives each day based on a table of random scenarios I roll against. Schizophrenia being bad that day? They’re not going to be able to focus on anything at all!

Kubluku: The greatest terrible wizard of all time! For every spell he casts, he has to roll against a table of random effects. Conjuring a glass of wine to impress a beautiful elf? The troll might wind up with an old rotten shoe full of stale milk, that he’ll drink anyway, to make her think he meant to conjure it!
Conjuring a portal? Might wind up 200 feet above a volcano, might end up under the sea, might end up summoning a very angry Snazzy Whooshflux who was promised it wouldn’t happen again. Kubluku is definitely one of my most fun characters, and by far one of the most challenging.
He also, once an hour, has to roll a luck roll, to see whether the ancient artifact that gives him his magic will swap him with my Dwarven Archaeologist, who often finds himself in difficult situations. And Kubluku will wind up where Kraglan was before.
It’s super fun, and difficult! (I use the orb of deception to do the swap.)

Agine Windhowl: Rage. As a druid, and a gilnean, she can never forgive the Forsaken, they are seen as a blight on nature. She must roll a willpower roll not to attack them on sight. Due to the peace the Alliance have with the Horde, she is no longer welcome in Alliance cities, and works as an eco terrorist with her sister. It often gets her in trouble and peace is never an option for her.
And holy cow, Teldrassil “ignited” even more rage in her. XD (I know, I suck.)

Last ones for now: Szotar, Kareva, Juniri, Vodkah, Whisky, Horgarth, Adelianie and more: Addiction!
Be it alcohol, drugs, or even recovering from a past addiction, these characters have addictions. A constant stress weighing down on their mental wellbeing, it’s an uphill battle they will carry for the rest of their lives. They’ll have good days, and bad days, but know deep down that with what they are addicted to, they are detrimented in some way.
Kareva, alcoholism, unfortunate for a Pandaren, alcohol turns her into an angry monster, completely sours her personality. Her fantastic magic becomes a dangerous problem!
Szotar, also alcoholism, he’s getting on in years, if he keeps drinking it will kill him before his time, but being old, he has lost much, and feels need to forget every now and then.
Juniri, Drugs, she hates her job, working as a spy / assassin, not uncommon for a troll to engage in recreationals, but Juniri genuinely hates her life when she is sober, depression completely takes over. She has one drive, get her job done so she can get back to off duty, to get high and not think about all the people she’s had to kill.

A lot of my characters biggest flaws is mental health! It’s something I can relate to in real life, and enjoy having a focus for it. It also helps to see the characters do well, as silly as that might be. =D

1 Like

That’s a good one.

My goblin has the power to get in trouble with a single word.
And so his favourite sport is to run away from people who want his head.

My worgen is in the grasp of a brutal alcoholism which led him to be drunk few times a day, and loose control on himself.

My Tauren is to kind and never fights back,

4 Likes

Must… resist… mugging… Tauren…!!!

1 Like

Gorhardt is massively arrogant and abrasive. He often talks down to people, and can be generally unpleasant to talk to.

1 Like

Namr can be quite overconfident from time to time, especially with the tech and powers at his disposal. This can sometimes make him bite off more than he can chew.

Thank you for posting this. Too often in RP - and not just in WoW - I see characters without flaws. In fact, I see a lot of players who just give their characters edgy personality traits and call them ‘flaws’ to avoid having actual flaws.

Zul’keresh’s main flaw is that he’s an absentee father and grandfather; he’s attentive to outsiders but takes his own family for granted. He’s also passive-aggressive toward friends and comrades instead of just directly communicating when he’s upset.

3 Likes

I suppose internalized pride is her fatal flaw.

Hiyo has taken the lessons of Shaohao very close to heart, which, amusingly has lead her to fail to learn what Shaohao famously did not and also struggles casting away her pride.

Which while it doesn’t affect her much socially, and over the years she has grown much less competetive; it can lead her to being overly self reliant and hesitate seeking out help and talking about her problems. She’s internalized and as a function she’d rather struggle with her own issues rather than solve them with the help of others.

2 Likes

Mariska is too playful for her own good.

She’s actually a fairly skilled mage in her own right, having been trained from an early age by her mother, but she prefers to focus on tricks and illusions rather than anything most would consider a proper use of her talents, if not outright call it a waste.

1 Like

Alt of Neimya:

So some of my characters have difficult disabilities that make them an extra challenge to roleplay. And I’m not talking about my druid with hayfever who sneezes in and out of forms.

Moopa here, has no tongue, it was cut out by an orc who was holding her prisoner because she spoke too much.
So she communicates using a made up sign language. Often to the inability for others to understand. It’s also extremely difficult for her to communicate in battle, as she is a martial artist and well… needs her hands.
She also finds it very hard to attract peoples attention… without hitting them.
She violently hates orcs, because she LOVED to talk.
There are tastebuds in the throat, so she can fortunately still taste food.

It is possible to talk without a tongue, but she’s extremely self concious of it and hates to do it now. She’s gone from never shutting up, to never uttering a word.

5 Likes

I created Grazheena in order to RP an independent female character living on the road and helping others in need. She’s a fierce believer in the Light, which makes her overly stubborn at times. This young Draenei is a trash for “hope conquers all” kind of stories, so she often doesn’t give up on otherwise lost and abandoned folks (this becomes somewhat toxic in relationships and she tries to work on that part of herself now).

On the contrary to a crusading paladin stereotype I wanted her to be more of a “Light’s apostle” character which reaches to the lowliest of people in order to help them out and convert them. This means Grazheena got cheated and lied to more often than not at the beginning of her career. She’s now a bit less emotionally naïve and a bit more experienced in battle, but life on the path had also loosened her social distancing habit to a point where one-night-stands and huge hangovers became another habit.

3 Likes

“I’m kind of a bad bit… femme fatale, so to speak.”

Sin’dorei magistrix took her time, checking if her golden hair retained proper shape.

“I used to be more friendly. In fact, during my studies at the Violet Hold I became so easy-going it would be all too easy for you to call me an easy girl.”

Her fel-tainted eyes narrowed when she gazed into the horizon, as if reminiscing a few more vivid details.

“A few at the university, a few at an exchange, you certainly get the point I imagine. After my return from Dalaran I partied so hard a friend of mine told me to stop or we would be out of both wine and mana wyrms in no time. Well, she stopped being my friend the moment she opened her mouth that day.”

Nonschalant tone broke into a whisper as the mage realised she ventured too far away from shores of the present onto the sea of the past and that her voyage home ought to include the storm.

“Then came Death.”

Aphranas sighed and turned her gaze away from the sunset. The sky blushed with a wide range of shades of red and purple. Yet the pyromancer’s face turned pale and her perfect cheeks remained pink only due to a natural phenomenon.

“Ranger General held the bridge, she died at the hands of the Traitor… Our kind lord Anasterian fought like a phoenix of old and his memory saddens me to this day. My friends, rivals, lovers and petty enemies… all but a few of them were lost to a wave of death, rot and decay. I felt as if my heart was torn apart from my chest, turned into a shard of ice and crushed before my very eyes.”

Magistrix’s face shrinked and took shape of a hateful mask for a brief moment but the Elf came back to her senses rather quickly.

“Now I am another person entirely. No trust for Humans, no commitment to relationships, no mercy for foes - these are but a handful of guidelines I recovered from the ashes of Quel’Thalas. The only comfort I could find was that in my service to the Horde. This community of outcasts and outsiders turned out to be much more welcoming and wholehearted than I would ever imagine.”

Sin’dorei smiled for the first time in a long while. Even though it was too brief of a smile to be called “warm”, something had changed in Aphranas’ cold and uncaring visage.

“I shall never forget what the Horde’s members did for me to make me feel at home. And I won’t easily forgive those egoistic bastards from Stormwind for how they passed on ethics and their precious honor when we needed them as Allies. Call me a bad girl if you want. I have long ago surrendered hope of anything being easy.”

3 Likes
  • Arrogance.
  • Difficulty understanding mortal distractions and their joys in life.
  • Difficulty trusting others.
  • Demonic Senses sometimes result in odd mannerisms.
  • Troubles fitting into normal society.
5 Likes

Trying to charm every barmaid and vendor girls in every town and at every possible occassion, basically? I mean, Gilnean sideburns can charm an Eredar assassin and make her hesitate enough for me to secure a kill, but barmaids and vendors are surprisingly uneloquent in Azeroth.

3 Likes

I’m undead rogue what do You want? :c
Ok so my blood elf rogue. He’s a deviant one. Took word Blood to seriously. He get a bit too excited when stabing his victims.
Yells something about “BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!1”
Nobony know what’s that about.

• Chaotic
  • Antisocial personality disorder
  • Doesn’t consider the feelings or the opinion of others
  • Extremely Impulsive
  • Fights dirty and without honour
  • Somewhat sadistic
  • Doesn’t take her own safety, or the safety or her allies in consideration
  • Extremely aggressive and doesn’t consider consequences on her actions
  • Addicted to Skull Shocker
  • Lives with her own strange logic and rules
  • Undead

Even though she’s a bit of a sociopath, she still tries her best to be a (somewhat) good person. Making attempts to understand her friends, specially when they got hurt by her impulsive and aggressive nature.
Blondie is a natural bad being, trying to be good. Making her a blast to roleplay.

Spark is a very closed off person. She doesnt let anyone get close to her and has trust issues

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.