Flickering shadows on GTX 1080

Hey,
I just noticed that while I am in some zones the shadows start to flicker. This has not happened to me before and I was kind of curious as to why this is and how to fix it without turning the Shadow Quality slider to Low?

Hopefully you’ll see the video down below which illustrate my problem.

My pc specs if it is relevant

• ASUS GTX 1080
  • Intel i7-4770k 3.5GHz
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Both windows and WoW installed on Samsung SSD

It’s pretty much a problem with all Nvidia cards.

Neither Blizzard nor Nvidia seems to be doing anything about this (I can’t really say whose side of the court the ball is at).

Possible fixes I’ve seen:

• Downgrade your GPU driver to one before that problem started.
  • Change to Directx 11 settings.
  • Tweak some graphic settings (I can’t remember which, possibly it was the shadows).
1 Like

I tried the shadow quality slider and the only setting which actually stopped this from happening was the low setting which just removed shadows all together. Changing to Directx 11 seems to have solved it though without changing shadow quality. Thanks.

Since the problem only really started when nVidia issued a new driver a while back, I would say the problem is the driver, not the game.

But I’m no expert.

2 Likes

I think so too. But as you say I don’t really understand those stuff either so I don’t want to spread (possible) misinformation.

1 Like

Go in the game to System - Advanced - and set Graphic Card from Auto detect to Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080.
This should fix that flickering.

2 Likes

I have this exact issue. There are 2 ways to solve it:
-get the november 2020 Nvidia driver
-set the game to DX11 ingame (wouldnt recommend this as it just kills your performance).

Also: Nivdia acknowledged this issue months ago, but still haven’t rolled out a fix.

1 Like

Here’s a temporary fix if you want to be on the latest drivers.
Download Nvidiainspector and import this profile:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/247515315825672203/797266981631950884/World_Of_Warcraft_-_Retail.nip

only this solves it, everything else is a temporary fix

1 Like

I updated the NVIDIA drivers yesterday and it seems to have solved the issue for now. I can run my precious graphic settings without the flickering.

1 Like

Nice, I hope nvidia finally solved it then. I’ll still be using the november 2020 driver as it’s still really stable and has no issues.

1 Like