Flynn/Shaw Relationship

Just finished Shadows Rising. Is it just me or this is very out of place, just for the sake of diversity like Pelagos ?

I dont have anything against LGBT. Its just out of place. Flynn throughout BFA had a thing for Taelia and Shaw/Valeera was heavily hinted as both flirted often.

Is it just me or this feels forced?

10 Likes

Maybe I missed it, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen them flirt. Gay guys can still be flirtatious to women, especially ones they are close to. And every time there’s a gay relationship anywhere, why do people always assume it’s “forced”.

5 Likes

They can’t get past the sexuality aspect.

5 Likes

This is what I never understood. It’s just a relationship like any other - gay/straight, they are all the same. So why can gay relationships feel forced when straight ones apparently never do. I’m not offended or anything, but it’s mind boggling, especially for someone who apparently has nothing against LGBT

2 Likes

It was flat out said that he had a thing for certain brunette. He wasn’t gay in the game but in book apprently he is. ( At least people shouldn’t call him gay but Bi in this case).
This is where my problem is that the characters can be twisted in that way instead of introducing the new one to fit the the role.

2 Likes

When I played thourgh the alliance zones with Flynn, he struck me as a very flirtatious playfull dude, I do not think he is gay, as he hits on alot of ladies, but I could easily see him as bi, and he fall for the musky manly man man of Shaw that is just a hungry manbeast of awesomeness :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, he has always been bi, even before Shadows Rising.

What a pile of pure cringe. That doesn’t change the fact that in game he was not shown in this way. “He was always meant to be this way”.

Is he trying to be JK Rowling now? “I never said Hermione was meant to be white”.

6 Likes

I didn’t feel like the relation between Shaw or Flynn was being shown as “Look how gay they are now”. Honestly, if Blizzard hadn’t clarified they were indeed gay, I would’ve probably assumed they were just good friends.

But I do think that if Blizzard wanted to have some gay couple as part of the game, they shouldn’t have been the ones to be such.
Anduin, Baine, Talanji, Thalyssra, Wrathion,…
There were other characters that had unclear sexuality that could’ve been developed down said way.

And I can’t help but feel that the primary reason for them to bend over backwards to adjust Flynn or Shaws previous characterisation to fit this, is because they lack the courage to make any of their poster protagonists be openly homosexual.

Ps:

This was thrown as a bandaid in order to excuse the adjustment done to the character.
Much like writers said “Sylvanas was always evil” after throwing out some newly baked retcon regarding her character.

3 Likes

No, what’s cringe is the fact that people are actually making a deal out of it. “OMG HE GAY FOR SHAW WOT??”. Any time a character has a thing for someone of the same gender people feel the need to announce their astonishment.

5 Likes

What is even more cringe is that people fail to read with comprehention, I already elaborated why this was annoying to witness. Go wirtue signal elsewhere.

8 Likes

Maybe because I still can’t understand why it’s even bothering people. It’s not like we read the book and discovered Flynn was actually a murloc in disguise this entire time. Who he fancies is of no consequence whatsoever.

1 Like

Eh, this relationship was actually relevant to the plot, making Flynn irrationally invested in saving Shaw. And neither Flynn nor Shaw really had enough of a personal life up to that point to call their relationship twisting their characters. I found the gnome/goblin couple of the last book less relevant to the plot, Kalec/Jaina and Aggra/Thrall more fanfictionlike, and even Nathanos/Sylvanas more character-twisting. Heck, while I’d actually appreciate some homophobia in my mediveal-ish settings, with women soldiers and interracial couples everywhere we were already at the point, where that would have felt random and unnecessary.

So yeah. I actually think this relationship was better done than most in WoW. Not a very high bar, though. But I don’t see much of a reason to infer other posters’ intentions from the thread, either. Go back to their time, and you will find the same “was that necessary?”-threads about all WoW-romances.

9 Likes

That’s because simple minds cannot comprehend spectrums. It’s either gay or straight, they can’t fathom the complexity of sexuality having degrees of in-between.

There are people who are crying all over the internet like “omg I only dated women in my life but I have a crush on this man”. Live your life bro just be happy, why label everything. You’re not a supermarket. tf.

7 Likes

While I’m not really bothered by it, in neither it’s nature or form, I understand if people feel certain wariness towards it.
WoW isn’t some complicated or elaborate narrative, and in this particular case, there were already some defined archetypes in peoples mind regarding both characters.

Archetypes that, for good or ill, do not mash all that well with this new circumstance.
Flynn was signalled as a “ladies man“ and Shaw as an assassin married to his duty and king.

In all, even if the relation wasn’t as badly shown as others (random poet Lor’themar and Thalyssra felt much worse), I can see why some would feel this as “forced”.

I personally would’ve had other more suitable candidates if Blizzard wanted to develop said circumstance.

Fanfiction.
The only Warcraft interesting couple was Moira & Emperor Dagran Thaurissan, it mattered to the story and served a political plot purpose to unify Ironforge under one council. It was at a time where there was no agenda involved.

1 Like

I don’t remember them having too much interaction
Like yea, they once went on a mission together to get that wand back but that was it
I haven’t read the book yet tho, so I’m not sure

I adore Fairshaw. Their personalities work flawlessly together, their interactions are fun and heartwarming… Great stuff. Give me more. I’m looking forward to “Exploring Azeroth: Eastern Kingdoms” where the pairing will get some more attention–the few pages available on Wowhead were pretty fun to read. That “Why are you like this?” part made me smile like a fool.

That said… What’s up with people thinking that just because a character was not introduced as “The Gay” they cannot be gay? Or bi? Or ace? Or any other shade of not-straight? Sometimes I wonder how shocked those people are going to be once they discover the concept of ‘the closet’ or (Light have mercy upon their souls!) ‘a beard.’

4 Likes

Issue here is that people felt like they were signalled differently regarding certain character.
And these sudden clarifications might feel weird for them.

As I said, having Flynn portrayed as some ladies man that flirts with Taelia, or Shaw growing certain “fondness” for Valeera and/or Amber, clash badly if writers suddenly go “And they are gay”.

If you initially build on certain archetype, that being of some cheeky Jack Sparrow pirate, or some severe assassin with soft spots, going around with stuff like this might not be as welcomed for those that followed on their characters.

I’m personally of the opinion that sexual preferences should be absolutely cut from the story unless they are of any relevance to the plot (this goes for both straight and gay couples).
But if you are to eventually highlight them, at least do so with those characters whose traits aren’t already hinting towards a specific camp.

Make Baine, Talanji, or Wrathion gays. Do it with those that have yet to show any sexual preference whatsoever.
Spending said bullet on a characters that already had some hint in either way…it doesn’t mash all that well.

Personally, I’m not really bothered as it wasn’t as “in your face” kind of deal. But as I said, I’d understand if someone felt it weird.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree. After 16 years of nothing, getting a barrage of “rainbow” characters in one month just feels forced, you can’t pretend otherwise. Flynn was especially a weird choice, considering he was definitely attracted to Taelia during Tiragarde questing. He met with Mathias during what, one quest? Considering him and Taelia knew each other for years (afaik) him abandoning her like that just feels completely out of character.

I hate how everything in the modern world has to be sexualized. Characters can’t be friends anymore, the moment they start acting friendly to each other they suddenly must want to screw each other. Flynn and Shaw becoming friends after fighting in the same war would definitely feel better to me than some random quota relationship for social brownie points.

That being said, I’m sick of all WoW romance. Getting a short story about Lor’Themar/Thalyssra when there’s so much unresolved stuff after BfA just felt like an insult.

6 Likes