Follower Dungeon Feature is the BEST opportunity to do this

The vast majority of us can agree that the way story is delivered in retail WoW is an absolute mess.

But if they made it so the ability to insta-queue for Dungeons was only unlocked after one completed it “manually” (finishing whichever quest chain leads up to it, physically going to the dungeon, then beating it), it would go a long way in terms of cleaning up problems with the disjointed story delivery.

The introduction of the Follower Dungeon feature would provide the perfect opportunity to implement this but, sadly, to the best of knowledge, Blizzard isn’t going that route.

Another option Follower Dungeons open up, which I think Blizzard should seize on, is to allow players the ability to play with our account alts via the Warbands feature.

This I do think they will get around to, though.

3 Likes

Why not add your comments here

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip

I can see the screaming from people who do dungeons all the time and would find follower dungeons tedious and an unnecessary gate.

Yeah but arent follower dungeons meant for solo players? So people wich likely do the world content anyway and dont want to group up with others for dungeons.

As long the quest leading up to unlocking the dungeon isn’t timegated trough playerpower or covenant farming then it shouldnt be such a huge problem.

Follower dungeons is one of the best things for introducing new companions and characters to the storylines and allows the world to feel more full.

I don’t think you undestood my point. I love followers for dungeons, I am mostly a solo player, but what OP is suggesting is that you gate being able to do the dungeons with other people behind completing it solo with followers first.

I imagine they would like this for others but be pretty annoyed at having to do it themselves. “Ermagerd I have to have my hand held before I can spam dungeons? What is dis?!1!1” etc.

Ah yeah i thought he meant it like people who want to do the follower missions got to do the questline first.

Yeah if everyone who want sto do the dungeon with people got to do the follower one first that would just be stupid. People will do the dungeon anyway, so it shouldnt really matter on what kind of level they do it first

If I’m interpreting this correctly it sounds a bit like letting peopl have a wheelchair only after they’ve run a marathon.

The primary reason for introducing Follower dungeons is that there are many players who can’t (some who won’t) do them with random strangers.
I’m one of those players. I stopped doing dungeons with random strangers after being kicked from Everbloom back in WoD after saying “I’ve bad eyesight so I’m not good at the wall jumping.”.

I won’t be doing dungeons manually in order to be able to do them with AI followers.

1 Like

No, they mean that you wouldn’t be able to queue for LFD until you completed it with the follower AI.

That’d be fine.
Finding the dungeon entrance would aid in immersion in the story. In fact this was part of the LFD back in Cata, although they had to stop doing that because players were deliberately not finding the dungeon entrance for unpopular instances. So some dungeon queue were very long if the players needed a specific dungeon for a quest, mog or such.

Edit to Ask:
Also, by LFD do they mean queuing for Normal or Heroic with random match making groups or queue for the Follower ones?
If the former I don’t see that being acceptable by the playerbase, the latter is fine.
Do the quests and find the instance in the world to be able to do Follower dungeons.
Also it must be Account wide, I’m not unlocking dungeons via long questlines on my alts.

I don’t know for sure but I assume they mean just to queue with other people not AI.

Remember the complaints about having to do proving grounds before you could queue with randoms.
And those can’t have been too difficult to do as I managed to do it as I needed dungeons for Cloak or Ring questline (was this in MOP or WoD, can’t remember - maybe both).

I’d be fine with unlocking (via quests and / or physically entering the instance) if:
If applies only to AI queue.
Is Account Wide.
Can be done solo (with AI).

1 Like

People had good reason to complain, after all people already were doing dungeons for many years already . And suddenly they had to do a basic tutorial like that wich did not even represent how things might go in a dungeon.

follower dungeons are a nice alternative for solo players or maybe even players who just play at very late times and need some weekly from the dungeon. But under no condition should it be a forced tutorial for veteran players.

Just maybe if they make it a requirement for new players wich still are marked as new players with the newcomer system. But i cant imagine even new players might like being forced this way

2 Likes

I agree really, people go at different paces. It should be up to the player if they want to dip their toe with AI dungeons or just roll straight in. What if they’re in a nice guild or have friends that already play and they’re going to tutor/carry them until they learn? I’m against gating in general.

1 Like

No, you did misunderstand. You would have the choice between gathering a real-life group or doing it with A.I. Followers (although the latter choice seems like the obvious one, given the sheer convenience). The point is that the ability to queue and instaport to said dungeons would only be unlocked after one completes them manually, whether it be with Followers or not.

That’d be ok with me. As long as it’s account wide.

If you want to run dungeons just after you got the quest for it, feel free to do so. There’s no need to gate it.
I for my part do the quests after levelling and diving into endcontent and I like doing it that way. By that time I have run the dungeons many times already.

If you want to be forced to do the quests and visit the dungeon before it’s unlocked, there is a game that is practically made for you…
But please accept that WoW does not restrict us that hard and many people like it that way. Like I said: if you want to play this way, feel free to do so. Nobody is forcing you to use LFG before you are done with questing to the entrance.

Literally nothing but you stops you from playing the way you want to. Why do you have to stop people from playing the way they want to?
What will be anyone’s benefit? Being forced to do content that you don’t want to do? Rushing through quests to get into the dungeon?
We all know how much immersion we have when doing the good old “shut up and give me the quest” questing because we just want the reward.

The dungeons are already gated behind attaining a certain level, which makes no sense. Players can tick level 60 and be able to queue for dungeons whose questlines they may not have completed yet, leaving them completely lost and incapable of following the narrative.

This method of gating makes much more sense than the locked-behind-a-certain-level method.

Then don’t.
Really… It’s not that hard. Just don’t. If they want immersion and if they can’t handle disconnected storylines then don’t do it.

You are acting as if someone would hold a gun to a player’s chest, forcing him to run dungeons. You don’t have to.
If a player chooses to use the LFG and gets confused, it’s his own choice and fault.

Your whole “argument” is a massive imaginary construct that doesn’t even have a real consequence to it.

By the way you act like storytelling needs to be linear, it doesn’t. It is completely fine to experience some part and learn about the background afterwards. Nonlinear storytelling is a thing and if people can’t handle it, I’d like to repeat myself again: don’t do it.

Why do you want to restrict all players, because some people (that are currently imaginary) can’t deal with the consequences of their own choices?