For PvE: Disc or Holy?

Hi fellow priests,

So I wanted to get into PvE healing a bit, but not sure if I should focus on disc or holy. Never tried Holy and mostly did disc in PvP. In mythics I will prob want to do 10+ or maybe higher.

What do you guys recommend? Just stay disc and focus on that? Or try out Holy for PvE.

Holy. Disc is a tad garbage.

For +10 just play what you like.
Higher keys disc is better, not because of healing output but because of dmg.

Disc has some really bad weeks (grievous, bursting…) which you don’t want to play that like at all.
Holy can be played all the time, while quaking is a little annoying but manageable.

Both seems to work…ish, just keep an eye on affixes.

Abit late, but anyone claiming disc is garbage is at best spreading misinformation.
Both holy and disc are great in a raid setting, both work in m+, but disc if you’re willing to put in the work can perform better.

3 Likes

disc is only good if combined with a group of players that have a keyboard and a brain.
it is a proactive healer with a limited output. You can predict boss mechanics and certain things of incoming damage, you cannot predicts every failure of the players in the group.
This is the biggest weakness of disc and this is why disc is not good in low content but quite good in higher content with better players.
Also a lot better with a consistent group.
I raids you can mostly predict dmg and as well you have backup reactive healers

Depends, I would say try both. I play both specs in raids and m+. In m+ it depends on your group and your knowledge. Holy is great when you are learning an encounter or your group is not coordinated. It can raw heal through so many mistakes. Disc is stronger when you are coordinated. Most abilities are designed for predicting incoming damage rather than reacting like a holy priest and then just comfortably continue to dps. With certain builds, even disc can provide raw healing but not as much as holy, covering up for mistakes is harder. Certain affixes are very challenging for disc too.

I would go holy for PvE. In RAIDs HPS is good.

1 Like

Disc is the better spec in the game, my opinion ofc lol…propely managed is a spec power machine…on pve you NEVER die…speak myself…
A bit difficult to manage on m+ , but like ppl said, good grp with brained ppl you can managed.

If you setup your heals right you can heal in massive peaks of 184.5khps as holy. This was at ilvl 416.

Posting replies about peak hps without context, and without even remotely proper gear is making the word irrelevant blush.

3 Likes

Blockquote
Warcraft logs website is the source.
/reports/7L4TZbjrFhKdy8vV#fight=last&type=healing&pins=0%24Separate%24%23244F4B%24healing%240%240.0.0.Any%2462712957.0.0.Priest%24true%240.0.0.Any%24false%240

2 mins into the encounter. [Holy Word: Salvation] is cast. My ilvl is okay for this raid and I don’t outgear it. Now I have 428 ilvl and do outgear it.

What exactly is your point?

I would have thought that was obvious.

LFR is not really the best evidence of how a class performs, especially as a healer.

I’m also not sure what your point is either?

I play in a pug for a 5 mythic boss clear on my priest each week. I play holy only because as disc when i tried to organise CDs it would fall on deaf ears. I also regularly play shadow on easier bosses because everyone overhealing is no fun.

In a more organised raid I woild play disc again in a heartbeat.

for m+ as you have noted you wanna do 10+ keys I perfer disc without a doubt. You should be dpsing as much as you can (regardless of the content) and disc’s kit for this feels a lot better to me than holy.

If you were looking to push keys a lot higher you would do best to find a group of friends to push.

You can also still continue to play PVP on your disc priest. The rewards from the weekly chest if you do rated PVP and up your rating can be pretty good.

My gear hit 80k hps on the last boss darkshore. LFR is good if you are at that gear level. 416 ilvl is low for the last two bosses for that LFR. Average to clear is 426 ilvl. I have some testing yet to do. Got to clear some more raids when I am ready.

You’re not doing 80k hps at that ilvl.

You can in a large group that takes lots of damage. For example the boss he mentioned…

I have to do more testing heroic darkstore is an easy target for high hps.

80k HPS in HC darkshore is a little irrelavent to the OPs topic though