Forever Housing

If Blizzard are going to add housing to WoW: Forever, do it sooner than later but do not, I repeat DO NOT, add neighbourhoods.

All that it is needed are several choice instant locations situated in the major cities for players to access their home. The neighbourhoods already exist; they are the streets of Ironforge, Stormwind, Ogrimmar and Undercity.

The staples of housing should be target dummies and account-wide chests.

5 Likes

I hope that player housing never touches forever. If blizzard really wants that system to sell MCX then do guild housing. Garrisons where horrible in WOD.

4 Likes

Who mentioned garrisons? They were awful for the game.

2 Likes

What is the difference between a garrison and player housing?
Instanced little box to sit and queue for things.

I’m really sorry, my man, but player housing should never come to WoW Forever (in any form). If you want player housing, then all I can recommend, and I imagine a lot of people would agree with me, is that you go and play WoW Retail.

5 Likes

Fair enough, but I opened up with ‘If Blizzard add housing,’ and my key point being not to add neighbourhoods, should they go ahead with it. That’s my key point.

And a target dummy to practice on in an environment I created would be, for me, the best thing it could be - with the ability to share items across my characters via a chest.

My main issue is as follows:

Just having a player home somewhere in the game as a static, furnished building you can visit and admire might seem kind of cool but without functionality the sheen and novelty will soon wear off. What reason is there to ever visit the place, save maybe on RP rulesets as part of RP?

So it will need to be given some kind of functionality. At the absolute bare minimum it would need to give us a rested state.

But even then, why go there when you can just log out at an inn, or hearth back to town? What if you’re in Silithus and your home is in Loch Modan?

So it would need to have some form of instant travel or teleport, or at the very least allow us to bind our hearthstone to it.

But then what? How do we get back to our questing areas? Slog it all the way to Thelssamar? Then fly to IF, take the boat to Auberdean? Fly back to Silithus etc. etc?

That’s never going to be popular as it just adds a load of extra travel when we could have just logged out in Cenarion Hold if we wanted the rested state.

So ideally there would have to be instant travel to and from our player home. Maybe a new kind of two-way hearthstone.

See where I’m going with this…? Anyone want to join the dots?

I see it unlikely to be coming to Forever.

You’d have to add the whole system of collecting decor too, I don’t see it like a Forever feature despite housing apparently being planned for vanilla already back in the day.

I wouldn’t be opposed to housing. However, it should be a very limited system compared to what we got in Retail.

Instead of having a Plot, there’ll simply be a door in Stormwind/Orgrimmar or something, taking you to your Interior. Which would be limited to maybe 1-2 rooms, with a limited amount of decor available from the start, with no more available for unlock. Maybe a Trophy room that automatically filled out as you completed thing, such as raids. So nothing massive, but just a tiny room the player can call home.

It literally should serve no purpose other than being a place a player can pretend to relax or show off their trophies to their friends. Because anything that pulls players out of the world, makes it less immersive and empty.

2 Likes

Yep, exactly.

You mean the bank window and mailbox?

You should know.

They should treat being inside house as being instanced and disabling a player’s ability to queue from inside it.

How could I mean that from agreeing with Instead of having a Plot, there’ll simply be a door in Stormwind/Orgrimmar or something, taking you to your Interior?

I actually don’t. Quit during Legion but I remember Garrisons being one of the biggest mistakes.

No personal instanced spaces. That is not vanilla.

I loved and still love my Garrisons, so full of life and the Invasions can be fun
Funnily, I don’t care about Housing in retail

Good job Forever isn’t Vanilla then huh?

3 Likes

Yes, a huge anti MMO mistake 100%. (Mission tables rewarding excess gold rewards; ores and herbs spawning inside it; performing professions inside it; etc etc. (Nothing like housing).

The problem with player housing is that player houses are meant to show off players’ achievements and/or creative talent, so they make little sense if nobody is going to see them because they’re either instanced or in a neighbourhood where everyone just rushes to their address and ignores everything else.

The only player housing that makes sense is open-world housing but WoW doesn’t have world built around that. There are games like Tibia where 90% of buildings in cities are player houses, and they’re all occupied at all times and prices go to the extreme. With how many houses in WOW can be repurposed or added without ruining the world’s aesthetics, the prices on a megaserver would be in cryptos, not in-game gold.

just put them in the world

just add that to the bank system

portable bank, as in expanded inventory slots, and the option to turn off world PvP, as in Normal ruleset?

The daily weeds and mines as well as mission board were terrible. The crafting stuff was nice but in Forever it’s specialisations that fulfil the purpose.

I liked how you would get quests there, but that was because you were the leader. In Forever you aren’t the leader so you shouldn’t have a private space just for you and your followers, that is unless you are some Scarab Lord or something but gating content behind a single person in a megaserver would still make no sense.

You don’t need to be a leader to have a little home.

Also, all the things you point out that can be added without housing, the housing just offers access to them things. Sure, put target dummies out in the world, but why not have one in your own little space of decor? Cool right? But that’s it, nothing else. Just a chill space to do your rotation - a place you designed to your own comforts. Again, nothing else.

Also, what bank allows access from multiple people? A little chest in your home to drop a few items? A 12 slot maybe?

And… why not allow the fire inside act as a camp fire!!! (You still need to add buffs as usual - but save on tinder?).

uses monk chi called nope

Of all the things Forever would need, housing is certainly not one of them.

I think players are dreaming if they don’t think housing is going be added in Forever. If anything, it contributes to the longevity of the game which is pretty much the title; Forever.

It’s how they do it that concerns me. I am indifferent to whether they do it or not.