Forums survey on pet battling

i do it regularly for the BFA World Quests :smiley:

Stats, based on Wowhead numbers, which are off in one way, and off in the opposite direction another way, so add error bars to taste:

About 8% of the overall playerbase are “caught up with the content” in PVE pets (10% BRD, 9% Abhorrent Adversaries, 8% Family Exorcist)

About 20-30%of the overall playerbase significant progress (34% Safari Hat, 22% Battle on the Broken Isles, 20% Battle in the Shadowlands, 37% 1000+ battles)

About a sixth have significant sized collections (17% 1000 pets)

PvP has always had a very niche following, and the devs have said they don’t really want to follow that up and make it a competitive thing, so 3% Family Brawler, 1% Deadly Pet Brawler, and some fraction of a percent for 5000 PvP wins. That deserves several threads on its own just to explain why the difference from PvE.

I myself find it very handy for easy WQs. Considering the quality of Shadowlands world quests, my alts are all thankful for them.

I tried it in the long, long 5.3, and really liked having a reason to revisit the old zones. I have “completed the content” long ago (apart from 5K PvP wins, because life’s too short)

I level everything, and make sure to choose my breeds carefully.

I used to make a side-hustle on pets on the AH, but just don’t bother any more. It is still viable, if you make alts on different realms and flip between; not so easy on a single server.

If you want to know more, or get involved, you really want to join the Discord. It’s the friendliest gang in WoW! https://discord.gg/967Vu7G

Never played a single battle, not even the intro/training.

im a collector and a tamer but now im battling just for wq.

Good achievement to earn. Getting it will build your roster quite well.

I only started Pet Battle during BFA (quite late in the expac).
I enjoy the Achievements, and trying to do those you find out about good pet to go an acquire.
I do some WoD pet battles on alts, they earn shiny charms, level other pets and earn xp (about a level every 10 days).

The dungeons are a bit trick (not as hard as the Elek Plushie one) but give teleports around the world. Going straight to Stratholme is hand to get north of Eastern Kingdoms.

1 Like

If it’s any inspiration, here’s a thread from someone who wanted the Crazy for Cats title, and got Xu-Fu from a standing start

“I think it was about a month or less from me knowing absolutely nothing about pets and having had this Crazy for Cats achievement pinned for forever, thinking I was never gonna get it, to actually getting it!!!”

1 Like

I do like pet battles, there is only a huge problem, that there is a severe lack of content.

Not as much as I’d like since I used to be addicted to it.

I have over 100 lvl 25 pets which used to be a lot, and probably now is just okay.
In MoP I did this a lot, especially with the release of the Celestial Tournament.
It’s weird that my interest has waned since Pet Battle Dungeons sound like an absolute blast, but I only did the Deadmines one.

Nope

Yes. Or well, i can enjoy doing some pet battles while leveling.

I dont really collect pets, i just get them randomly from content i do. I think i have like 3-4 at max level :sweat_smile:

I enjoy battle pets in general, especially collecting them. I never skip a Super Squirt day for mass-leveling and while I generally enjoy pet dungeons, I have precious little time for WoW these days so they are sort of on the back burner. Achievements-wise I’m sitting on 103/186 right now.

The one thing I have absolutely zero interest in is PvP pet battling. Never cared for it, never will.

The “Family Familiar” style achievements are obnoxiously long and absolutely awful and I don’t bother with them. I’ll take the missing points over that nonsense.

So yeah, I do pet battling and I enjoy some of its aspects, albeit not all. I sort of wish there was some PvE system/minigame in place which matches you against randomized AI teams.

Do you pet battle regularly ?
No

Have you tried pet battling in the past , found it wasn’t for you?
I did it for some mount related achievements etc, but it never really appealed to me in any meaningful way. I guess playing Pokemon and having a tamongochi as a kid burnt me out on pet catching games?

Do you like to just collect the pets?
I don’t collect pets - I only take what NPCs throw at me from quests rewards etc.

Do you lvl them up at all or happy to have them at lvl 1?
I’ve only been lvling extra ones I have up because the mission table gives lots of free pet tokens. There lvl doesn’t matter to me personally as I don’t pet battle now outside of the two NPCs in darkmoon faire.

Not really.

I have done it. I did it fairly extensively when I wanted to earn the Safari Hat.

I didn’t enjoy it. Whenever a new expansion is released and there is some reason to do pet battles again (because they reward something I want), I just look up tactics on Wowhead and try that. I’m not interested in it other than the reward.

I don’t collect ‘all of them’. I just want the ones I like and will use (not for battles, but for having around).

Nope.

The only time I did it was for the Uldum mount in BFA.

Do you like to just collect the pets? Do you lvl them up at all or happy to have them at lvl 1 ?

I’ve only levelled up the couple required to complete the mount quest line, the rest are level 1 (apart from one for which I got a bonus xp reward and used it to get rid of it).

No, I hate it.

This is mostly what I do regarding pet battles.

Most of the achievements require very specific pets, which are usually rare and / or expensive due to that very reason, Except for the elemental pets achievements which are completed by the same boring overpowered combo every time, for some interesting reason, which is why I never bothered with them.

I feel like pet battling could’ve had potential, if it were a little more “build your own team to beat this interesting challenge” and a little less “look up which very specific team of 3 you need to beat this insanely overpowered pet”.

Yup, I do more on the weekly events for obvious reasons. But I need to for all the tokens.
Not so much pvp.

Gotta get em 25 AND rare quality, why settle for less when you can have the best?

1385 unique pets, 1379 max level.
I need about 300 rare pet stones to get on board with those. The only pets I’m probably never going to get are the pvp pets, and the ones that require me to travel back in time to before I started playing kek.

But for what I’m actually able to get i’m quite proud of my collection.

1 Like

no

yes

yes

yes/no

yes and no

tried it but it just gets on your nerves after a while

i find that not knowing what pets and in what order they appear to be very irritating.
Also, haste and the order in which opposition pets attack is very annoying.
certain pets having certain resistances to certain attacks is okay but can be quite sporadic as to how weak they are to attacks of the same form.
You need addons to tell you when to attack, what with a what specific pet to use … thats very irritating.
Also, i have nothing but hatred for pet battling now because that damn pandaland quest to kill the 4 elite elementals cannot be dropped … so all my chars now have that quest (account wide quest) and i cannot complete it and i cannot abandon it.

i will always collect new pets as i see em, i will not go searching for em and i gave up battling because of the requirements to know what to use and when and which one and blah blah blah … irritating.

Yup!
Nope I quite like the pet battle dungeons!
Do you like to just collect the pets? Do you lvl them up at all or happy to have them at lvl 1 ?
I mostly level the ones needed to do the dungeons but when pet battle event is up I try to level others too!

Myth!

You really, really, REALLY don’t.

There are a few very specific Family battles (where you have to win using only one family) where this is close to true.

What actually happens is this: a few people - the prolific strat-setters - set out to create 100% strats and publish them.

Now, if I’m creating a strat to publish, you know what I don’t want to do? I don’t want to require an S/S breed Runelight Leaper, which almost nobody has, and then half of them don’t have the S/S breed. I’m going to find a way to get it done with the most common pets I can, and those with the least chance of breed confusion (because people who don’t know about breeds so often leave nastygrams when it doesn’t work for them with the wrong breed, and they don’t understand why.)

I did all the achievements without looking anything up (except getting a hint on a pet to use from one strat for Bredda Magic in Legion - and then as a penance for my weak moment I wrote the definitive strat for Bredda Flying)

It can be, if you want it to be. But who has the energy to keep coming up with new teams to beat the daily WQ grind when you already have a known-perfect strat in your Rematch?

What we actually need is what Linaria already wrote above:

with rewards appropriate for challenge battles like this.

I only play World of Warcraft for Pet Battling and Archaeology. Without those things I wouldn’t even buy a sub. Been like it since MoP.

2 Likes