FPS Drops in RBGs and some raid encounters. Looking for some insights

Dear community, Ive been experiencing fps drops downto 30-40fps in RBGs and some raid encounters and would really appreciate some help regarding this issue.

My specs are old but not too shabby, but what do I know…

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 (466.11 driver)
Intel ® Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.2 GHz
32GB Ram
2560x1440, 144Hz Samsung monitor

Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME B360M-A

2560x1440, 144Hz Samsung monitor

I am running WoW on lowest settings with exception for Particle Density (Good) and some other stuff. Ive been going through the settings several times and I am somewhat sure that is not whats causing the issue.

So what is holding me back here? Considering the GPU market is scuffed at the moement Ive been looking to upgrade CPU.

However, since I am running a WQHD monitor maybe I should look into a GTX 3-series GPU?

Or could there be a problem with my cooling? (No water cooling)

I would like to note that I work in 3Ds max 8 hours a day, so any upgrade cpu/gpu has to work for heavy duty 3d rendering as well.

Can you enter Spires of Ascension dungeon and check if you have the same FPS drop when looking at the mobs/path?

Only if something is faulty and causing overheating - you can check that with monitoring software (HwInfo, MSI Afterburner). Water cooling should never be needed for “normal” PC parts.

WoW reacts really well to the in game settings when it comes to GPU bottlenecks - so even if your 1080 would not be enough lowering the settings would increase the FPS noticeably. FPS will not increase if you hit single core CPU bottleneck (mass actor combat and alike) or when WoW has bugs (has some since 9.0.5).

I’m running a 32" AoC 1440p/144 monitor with a Radeon RX Vega 56, so your 1080 shouldn’t be too much different. It could be that your 95% or 99% low framerates might be too low or if you’ve got the ‘in-game’ graphics setting too low that frames aren’t being created fast enough, so you’re noticing them drop more often.

If you set the ‘in-game’ graphics to 3-4, is it worse?

I agree; this could be at play, too… it never hurts to totally rebuild - take apart & put back together again; esp. re-doing CPU thermal compound - your PC every cpl. years or so.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.