FPS problems in WoW WotLK Classic

Hello all,

Since pre-patch I have a lot of FPS drops during raids. When I’m in the open world, I have no problems at all. I play on 144 FPS on 2560x1440 resolution. My PC is not that bad, I play on a RX2070 with a 6700k (i7). For example I can run OW2 on 144 easily. Im kinda lost and I have no idea what to do.

What I tried so far:

• Disable all addons
  • Reinstall WoW
  • Reinstall my PC (without any data saving)
  • Switching between DX11 and DX12
  • Lower settings
  • Closed as many background applications as possible
  • Update drivers
  • BIOS update

Yesterday I did a dxdiag and noticed the following:

Handtekening van probleem:
P1: WowClassic.exe
P2: 3.4.0.45942
P3: 633b7e15
P4: unknown
P5: unknown
P6: unknown
P7: unknown
P8:
P9:
P10:

Another thing is that when I play WoW and check taskmanager - I noticed that WoW is only eating like 35% off my CPU performance. So there is a lot of power left…
I can’t find anything about this problem.

Any tips?

__

System Information

Time of this report: 10/19/2022, 07:29:22
         Machine name: DESKTOP-JVEKSBK
           Machine Id: {A482DCD4-CBA2-4922-9FDB-B40F24CD3ADA}
     Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19044) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
             Language: Dutch (Regional Setting: Dutch)
  System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
         System Model: System Product Name
                 BIOS: 3801 (type: UEFI)
            Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
               Memory: 32768MB RAM
  Available OS Memory: 32704MB RAM
            Page File: 5020MB used, 32547MB available
          Windows Dir: C:\Windows
      DirectX Version: DirectX 12
  DX Setup Parameters: Not found
     User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
   System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
      DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
             Miracast: Available, no HDCP

Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DirectX Database Version: 1.0.8
DxDiag Version: 10.00.19041.2075 64bit Unicode

2 Likes

That shows total usage of all cores so it is not accurate to determine per core utilization. WoW is heavily single thread bound game so CPU’s single thread performance is the most important.

It is fairly normal to get lower FPS during raids, crowded areas etc. in WoW compared to empty outdoors or small instances. Without knowing what sort of drop you get it is impossible to know if that looks normal or not.

While I’m in raids (25) my FPS start to drop from 144 tot 80 fps sometimes even lower, but the games just start stuttering, I can feel even without a FPS counter that I have huge drops. Espcially during trash.

I almost had never any problems with it, not in SSC, TK and BT. It all started in pre-patch WOTLK. Also some guildies running almost the same hardware and have no problems at all.

1 Like

I have the exact same issue. I have tried it all. I’m at a loss.

This sounds like the issue a lot of people are having over on the US forum and on reddit. Lower fps when a lot of stuff is happening is normal. This is not that.

1 Like

I also have exact the same problem with two different PCs. Also one in my raid has the same issue since wotlk. I did not tried as much as Schotel but i fear i have the same root.

I lowered the graphic settings to the very minimum and got in the 25 raid never under 30 fps but it stutters pretty heavy. I disabled almost al Addons and updated drivers / Windows etc…

1 Like

I got exactly the same issue since pre patch.
Tried everything.

Its a known issue that WoW is shredding graphics cards atm. Even high end RTX cards are at 90%+ usage and are pushed to high temps. I really recommend waiting for a fix if you value your cards lifespan. Its really bad to have a Card running at nearly 100% all the time.

It is indeed bad for the GPU. Tho 99% is ideal to fully utilize the GPU, 100% is however not, which also causing stutters etc. Most people don’t have RTSS to check the usage.

anyone found a fix to this issue with the horrible frame drops so annoying would be great if theres a fix

They have had complete radio silence on this point even with all the forum threads and reddit posts since launch. If we are talking about the 25man raid stutters and whatnot.

I have 4090 and it’s not even close to 50% while stuttering a lot in 25 ppl fights, even when nothing really happens, like trash fights. 25 fps on 99 percentile is not something I expect from a gpu like that in a game like that. It has nothing to do with gpu and loading, it’s really bad code we’re having here.

1 Like

I dont think they care or even acknowledge that its a thing. I have a more than good enough pc. I can run MW2 Warzone 2 just fine and other modern games. Heavy CPU bound games aswell. But Wotlk is a stuttering mess inside 25 man raids. I have reinstalled windows entirely checked everything. Made sure both my SSDs are healthy and everything. Something is scuffed with the game and they just ignore it.

1 Like

I find it really fascinating that i run Elden Ring on Ultra settings without a single stutter while i get 60fps in Dalaran Wotlk Classic.

Ryzen 7 5700G
16Gb Ram
Radeon RX 6700 XT 12Gb
170Hz Monitor

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.