Freezing up a lot?

Doing CN raid finder and my client freezes a lot. Asked in chat and others are experiencing it too. Any fix?

1 Like

Had the same issue yesterday. Whenever people would join/leave the instance group + when a boss died my FPS would take a short nosedive lagging the game.

Seems to be a quite common issue. Hopefully they’ll fix it soon!

2 Likes

Me too. Even crashed entirely bringing up the red critical crash box.

Whenever someone leaves/joins, whenever we approach a boss, whenever we kill a boss, it always happens. It honestly scared me as I was going to do heroic the same day. Thankfully the fps and freezing issues are non-existent there. (Probably because nobody was leaving left and right too. But maybe they’ll fix it!)

Can confirm, did first part of CN LFR today and had short freezes everytime when someone leaves the raid or join. Also happening at boss pull/kill.

This does sound a lot like it may be caused by a popular addon that tends to be very active in raids - after each patch, there tend to be such issues until the addons have been adapted to the new environment. Until then, a full removal is usually the best call. :slight_smile:

I did it again without any addons and full UI reset and this still happends. So, it’s not addons.

It’s not addons. I always remove my addons and reset WTF, Cache when theirs a patch and play for a bit before i reinstall them. I was still getting this even with no addons and reset UI.

It’s every time a person join or leaves the group or when you pull the boss and for me it was only the fated raid it happened in. I did not get any FPS drop like mentioned just a 2-5 second game freeeze. Where there were a lot of players joining and leaving between bosses all at once it actually caused me to DC completely to login screen.

To explain the line of thinking here:

On the very high level, if a new person joins the raid or a boss is engaged, the very first thing that happens is a fair amount of data being immediately shared with everyone in the area. Some common raid-addons automatically “harvest” said data which can exponentially increase the size of the “spike” in data transmission, so they can act as a force multiplier of sorts - in turn potentially pushing the load past the point the local computer/connection can still comfortably handle. The result would be a brief degradation in framerate and/or connection quality, which visually looks very much like the symptoms described here (the screen might actually even briefly freeze, while the game is trying to catch up with the unexpected mountain of data it just got buried under).

One of the lesser known aspects of this is that the effect can even occur for players who aren’t even running the “guilty” addons themselves. There are hidden communication channels all addons tap into to exchange data with each other (think of it as the worlds absolutely worst spam-groupchat…), but if all addons have been fully removed (not just disabled) that should no longer occur. Hence the suggestion to clear them out, to make sure there is nothing happening behind the scenes there.

With that all ruled out: we’re not seeing any large-scale issues here and not a great lot of reports from other affected players either, which would have to be expected if the issue was server-side. If we do break something on our end, which definitely has happened now and then, that unfortunately tends to affect everyone equally, not just specific individuals. As such the next step here is to look at the actual connection, for the people who are affected - there may be some common denominator here (e.g. a shared route, ISP or carrier they pass through towards the servers). A WinMTR test would be a good approach towards determining that. :slight_smile:

My addons were removed not just disabled. As a developer i’m aware of how they work and the hidden communication they do, thus why i always run clean after a patch… but of course not everyone knows that so i appreciate the time and effort you put in to explain that :slight_smile:

I’ve not experianced the problem in the raid until it became Fated this week. I also havn’t experianced the problem in other non fated raids, dungeon groups or doing the Fated World Boss. So what ever causes it (at least for me) seems isolated to that one raid and only started when it became fated this week.

Having cleared it this week i won’t be going back in to it now so will test and report back next week after reset if there are still problems. :wink: