Frost doing well?

Hey! Just tried some mage since im looking for a caster alt. Kinda thinks that the fire spec is a bit “hectic” and did enjoy frost more. Whats the state of fros ? Pvp, mythic keys and raids ?

On raids frost is around in the middle. On m+ fire seems bit better and because people dont really have clue about frost mages and the support etc they provide,it’s hard to find group as frost

PVP: Frustrating but works well in specific 3v3 compositions and RBG
Raiding: Middle of the pack single target, giga tier on cleave.
M+: Middle of the pack on Tyrannical, giga tier on fortified.

You are required to play with two legendries (and a third if you want to PvP), and you’re damage will come with the correct statted gear; so be prepared to invest some time to be rewarded.

Doing descent now after the buffs .
8/10 castle bosses u can do pretty good .

Sludgefist is a bit crap and sire is the worst prepare to get benched there when u hit hc .

Mythic is ok with glacial fragments , u dont have the high burst dps a fire mage has but reliable aoe on every pack .

I have switched covenants last week. Went from Venthyr to Necrolord. I use Glacial Fragments legendary and Icy Propulsion conduit (still havent unlocked my second potency conduit). My experience from doing +10 and +11:

AoE fights pulling arround 14k steadily. When i get access to my second conduit (Ice Bite) things will scale much better.
ST fights. Pulling over 14k dps for 30 seconds with all CDs up. After that dps diminishes for an overall 8-9k.

The AoE damage is pretty much the same whether i use Venthyr or Necro. The damage increase is huge in bossfights where the raw damage increase from Deathlord makes it really OP.
Last night i was doing a Plaguefall +11, we had a unholy DK (214ilv) and a DH (211) in group. I was 204ilvl as the leader thought i’m fire mage so he took me even though my ilvl was considerably lower than the other 2 dps.
On bossfights i was toping the dps meters. On trash mobs DH and DK were doing a bit more damage than me.
At the end of the dungeon I finished 2nd with arround 10% difference from the DK, but i’m still missing my second conduit which i beleive will improve my dps by quite alot considering how much we spam icelances in this expansion.

In PVP it’s still on the low end in terms of sustained damage, and it struggles more than fire to land CC - so not optimal. Definitely viable if you’re particularly keen, but probably B tier

Deffo strong on fort week. Pre-buff they were really strong for stacked adds. The highest DPS I’ve ever seen in a key was a frost mage, 9.8k average in a 16 mists (tank pulled huge). And destroyed my 223 MM hunter haha.

Frost is way ahead of fire in real world, in raids and in mythic. I would say fire starts to overtake frost only when you approaching try-hard territory of 16+ keys and mythic raids. When entire tactics of your group in the key is to pull around your combustion and such. For normal ppl who usually just puging, frost usually perform better once you have your legendary. The cleave one, lets you be top dps above all other specs in the game, and thats what important for puging keys.

1 Like

Try playing the frost bolt build if you’re running a caster cleave, you basiclly doing chaos bolt level of damage frost bolts.

Or one can try both that AND Glacial Spike. Kyrian GS does around 25-30k on equally geared people, up to 40 on low gear, lol, and I’ve legit seen 70k crits on tanks in RBG (likely with stacks, but still hella fun).

The only downside is that you have to play Kyrian, which is somewhat a “one trick pony”. And you have to rely on random BF proc for you burst, while Venthyr has BF at-will.

Im a fan of ice form and thermal void, watching rogues shriek as missing a kick now means he cant shadow dance stun spam is a thing of beauty. 25 seconds of stun immunity is honestly one of best things ever for dealing with melee zugs.

And yeah kyrian is better for big boom burst but venthyrs feels better.

I have quite a few thoughts on this…
Firstly you deal reasonably high damage but still below chaos bolt by a large margin (you get roughly 6k hits, 10k crits when shattered). You can be purged or interrupted etc.

Second it doesn’t do much more damage than just spamming ice lance

As for Kyrian vs Venthyr… It doesn’t matter too much. Any decent healer will look to purge either. Setting up Kyrian is a gimmick, as it’s quite situational that you can just free cast for 4 sex just to get your first frostbolt off

Doing 14k bolts on my venthyr mage and its still fairly low item level.

I also play with a destro lock so I get to freecast a lot, biiiig dam!

Are you using triune ward with that? Or disc command?

And I guess rune of power?

Triune, and no that was with incanters, tho planning to try out rune for the next time we play some 3v3.

The only issue with this build is that you need a partner they cant let freecast like a warlock or SP.

1 Like

So I’m still struggling with getting to 14k

At 226 ilvl frostbolts crit for roughly 6.5-7k without lonely winter. Adding 25% from lonely winter and 30% from Ice form we’re still looking at just over 11k with 5 Incanter stacks, unless you’re hitting a tank spec (which is obviously not a fair comparison)

You’re also telling me you have low ilevel. What am I missing?

Oh, thats me being unclear, I play with a shaman healer so when we burst I have skyfury :slight_smile:.

But that was with 205 item level and like 22% vers, so fully geared Im sure it can be done without skyfury totem.

You using badge with your ice form?

I setup my burst by first getting brain freeze procc for flurry debuff then I either hard cast 2 frost bolts with ice form or do a frost bolt ice lance depending on how low health they are at.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.