Frost Fever shouldn't be our top damage in PvP

Both in 3s and RBGs Frost DKs top damage continues to be Frost Fever, and in some cases it makes up for nearly 35% of our overall damage. What was once a slow killing machine with hard hitting abilities, living up to the name Obliterate, Frost DKs have now been reduced to a mere AoE dot machine.

It is about time Blizzard reduces the damage of Frost Fever and redistribute it over to Obliterate. Obliterate is currently one of the lowest hitting core abilities of any melee class, and continues to underperform in PvP. Outside of PoF, Frost Strike and Obliterate hit 2k, which is quite insignificant when people have 60k health, and it isn’t much better with PoF up, where you’re lucky if you hit a 7-8k Obliterate crit. Meanwhile other classes can kill you in a global?

Chill Streak is also underperforming heavily in a lot of matchups with the addition of all the new pets, such as Kevin’s Oozeling (Last row in Plague Deviser Marileth’s soulbind) and so on. It is a rare occurrence if more than 2 Chill Streaks hit an actual player.

Some nice changes has been made, such as the increase in healing from Death Strike, as well as bringing back Strangulate as a PvP talent, but there is still a long way to go. It would also be nice to be able to choose Necrotic Aura again (8-10% increased magical damage), was a shame to see it being removed.

(While I have been playing at 3k MMR in Shadowlands, I have no idea how Frost DKs perform in PvE. Still though, would it be an idea to alter the legendary Koltira´s favor, and have it increase Obliterates damage significantly at the cost of the chance to refund 2 runes? Then make another legendary for Breath of Sindragosa, such as “Increase the change to refund runes by x, while Breath of Sindragosa is up, or give you an additional charge of Empower Rune Weapon”? That would give more viable choices for DKs with legendaries, instead of only being viable to play Memory of Absolute Zero.)

4 Likes

i try not to play Frost, i much prefer the Unholy pvp playstyle , but it would seem that frost fever does more damage at the moment than the unholy counter part.

i would argue that both specs frost and unholy are in a bad pvp spot at the moment.

i would normally agree and post multiple threads about the weakness of both dps specs on a dk but it seems to fall on death ears considering the ptr update

3 Likes

While also providing passive runic power overtime, has a higher duration [and faster tickrate?].

Is a meme at this point, every buff dk has had, even when it is at its worst iteration has gotten compensation nerfs.

1 Like

I mean… dk is a joke. Hitting 8-10ks max with obliterate, while warrior is doing 15k+ noncrits with cds up should be a warning sign.

DK atm is too queue dependent. You can beat s tier comps such as rmp/ret war or jungle only if they’re playing like morons; it doesn’t matter what plays you’re doing, you’ll come with the second chance before the gates are opened.

To this point, I have no clue what made them nerf DK to the ground in beta. People were testing with 180ilvl, pulling 15-16ks obliterates with low amount of versatility (not to mention about dk’s burst which is one of the easiest, if not the easiest to stop).

Let’s remember how SL S1 started. 24k healthpool, warriors going in, spearing sth and oneshotting with unhinged legendary, rmp killing everyone through def cds( rogue pre-nerf) rets killing 3 people at once and so on. While DK struggled with 4k chillstreaks and 7-8k oblits.

I don’t get why they did not gave DK a chance at all. They buffed DH which was garbage tier, same with locks. Judging by it, SL season 3 should be DK at the top, but at this point is just cope (see DKs all tier set bonuses, compared to others)

4 Likes

In 9.0.5 when they buffed dks damage across the board by 10%, but they nerfed chillstreak by 5%.

Afaik chillstreak was nerfed 2-3 times since SL was live. For an ability that’s easily counterable they nerfed it quite a lot.

lets not forget that 2h frost is a new addition , was added in SL.

i believe the spec they want us to go for is d/w BoS , but even that sucks in comparison
2h was added to shut the dk forum up about moaning about it

they should give us hungering cold back and icy touch dispell and make obliterate 100% frost dmg ( this only applys with killling machine atm )

2H frost was a thing since cataclysm to mop. In WoD they brought back 1h frost.

Tbh at this point I don’t care if we play 1h icecap builds as long as we perform well. But being the worst melee in the game is def not cool.

they took 2h away from frost in legion for the artifact weapon , then after alot of crying on the forums they reinstated it in SL

but the spec is designed for Dual Wield, hence the low numbers, it hasn’t changed. 2h is considered in the eyes of blizzard a playstyle choice, but it has no synergy with the spec

1 Like

Yes, I am aware of that, and I don’t really care if they’ll buff one hand beyond broken, I just want to see DK at the top, for at least one season, for the sake of this class.

Sorry i didn’t wanna come across like you didn’t know, I’m the same. i much prefer a viable spec regardless of the weapon we use
i do think i could live with the low damage if the movement and gap closing was better though at least for pvp,
I’ve said it many times but death grip is not that great anymore with all the new gap closers classes get since the inception of WoTLK ,

death grip was with our class since WoTLK , but since then we got Demon hunters, Monks, Warriors leap/extra charge etc

Indeed game evolved since wotlk and classes are much much more mobile. But I have to say that the damage is exactly the problem.

Dk wasn’t known as a mobile class, and was on and off with survability (back in the day when we had presences we were somehow tanky), but right now, We’re squisky, slow and doing 0 damage.

If you were to make a class concept to have all the weaknesses in the game, here’s dk.

Unholy was supposed to rot and have huge sustain damage, yet it has the lowest sustain damage out of all sustain specs (bm/surv hunt, afflock, spri, boomie, feral, warrior, dh)

Frost should he brought back to WoD’s S3 level.

Dk wasn’t (unless wotlk season 1-2) never as oppressive as rogue, mage, feral, hunter, because DK doesn’t have insane synergy with other classes. It has good synergy with WW, but if one of those classes are weak, cannot hardcarry the comp to insane level of play.

We can only hope for the best in 9.2

WoD pvp was amazing, but i remember in s1 everyone was screaming to nerf frost 2h dmg

i believe this was the expac we got death siphon and was spam healing to full health

1 Like

Idk, also the beta nerfs were not justified.

MotFW nerfed from 35% to 30%
Oblit ap coeff from 73% to 66%
Pillar duration from 15s to 12s
And pillar cd from 45s to 1 min.

I don’t mind having pillar on 1min, cause is more in line with other cds, but the rest are plain bad. They wouldn’t made Frost even as oppressive as ret/war’s burst and so on, it would’ve made it a bit better.

Rn you’re hitting 9-12k oblits during pillar, with pre nerf values would be around 10-14ks. Not insanely high, but straight better

3 Likes

just realised i was in your guild at one point lol

yh the overcompensation of nerfs stacked up over time and the increase healthpool nothing has been giving back to bring it back into line with ilvl increase

its just another lazy day at the office for blizzard until someone moans enough for them to fix the previous " fixes" or nerfs

I mean there also lots of unnecessary nerfs to both frost amd unholy pvp wise. Unholy dot duration is 50% in pvp for no reason.

FWF is 66% nerfed in PvP for no reason.

There are abilies on 1 min cd hitting 3 times as hard as FWF and are not nerfed like FWF is (final reckoning for example)

it might be class resentment , DK when it was new in WOTLK was the most OP broken spec the game had ever seen

i think they hold back in fear of those days at least to some extent.

but in reality we are now the weakest class pvp wise due to the ongoing compiled nerfs

its either that or they simply just forget about the nerfs we had received and then further nerf to compensate for forum outcry

Tbh that happened only first 2 seasons, in relentless-wrathful seasons, warrior was still stronger than DK.

Is a joke that they did not bring the class at least to a decent power level.

I didn’t wanted to resub since I knew the game was trash ever since legion-bfa, due to grinds and bad class design, but I saw some DK footage from Beta and I wanted to give it a try. Seemed I was wrong

Yeah, Frostwyrm’s Fury is the biggest joke in the game. Literally a 3 min CD which sends a huge dragon flying across the field. And what does it do? 4k damage with all CDs up. Right now its only use in the game is with the legendary Absolute Zero making it a 3 s AoE stun.

The amount of damage nerfs DKs have in PvP is beyond insane to me and makes no sense. We’re literally the most underrepresented class in the game atm, especially at higher ratings across all brackets.

It seems our only hope is praying for a complete reset in the next expansion. Hopefully, a bunch of mouth breathers who struggle to keep their saliva in their mouth, won’t spew random BS about FDKs and ruin it again, making our class unplayable for another 2 years. I still can’t believe how the beta nerfs made it through.

1 Like

it isn’t uncommon for them to make the legendary baseline in the following expacs, i would expect this legendary to become baseline to the frostwyrm

• alternatively i would expect the frostwyrm cd to be reduced to 1.5min atleast

even with 1.5 min CD, the Damage is not justified. It does 6-7K crits wit cds up, which is laughable.

I guess is the lowest damage a 1.5 min ability like its magnitude is doing.

1 Like