Frost mage

When is the last time Frost mage actually was a S- tier in mythic+? And how come that blizzard aint opening their eyes about how unfair it is atm? Warlocks/monks and hunters can simply 3 button click a whole dungeon and topping all other classes by miles, and yet nothing is done by it.

And dont tell me that they did some nerfs on those classes. Because yes, they did but its abviously clear now that its a joke. I can remember at the start of this expansion when a Frost mage felt a bit better it got instantly nerfed to the ground. How come this crap aint happening with those other specs i talked about above? And they are dominating the game by like almost the whole expansion?

6 Likes

Frost Mage is a fun and beginner friendly spec, that has a nice rotation, and that goes sadly against Blizzard’s Shadowlands Gameplay Design Philosophy, so it can’t be meta :face_exhaling:

2 Likes

While i do agree with you.

Your comparing a class to a specific specc, sure these classes are doing well but every class has abandoned speccs really.

During legion i think ion did address these complaints saying 36 speccs are just too many to balance.

So they tend to focus a specific specc of each class (although hunters are defintly broken AF)

But we could say it on survival.

First time survival hasnt been dogs*** since legion.

FROST

• Frozen Orb damage reduced by 12%.
  • Blizzard damage reduced by 12% and reduces the cooldown of Frozen Orb by 0.25 seconds each time Blizzard deals damage (was 0.5 seconds).

This was done in 9.2 and needs to be reverted.

4 Likes

Wasn’t it pretty good in season 2 before the changes from patch 9.2?

1 Like

around 6 months ago, when it was still S2. furthermore, you have the option to play an S-tier spec right now by just changing to fire. when is the last time shadow priest was S-tier in m+?

1 Like

The same specs always end up as fotm specs.

Mage developers perhaps don’t play a mage class , they are really out of touch in every aspect

3 Likes

“Just” Playing fire to expectations from other players from a S-tier demands 3 key things:

1. GEAR, and the very correct pices at that.
  2. A Tank who is WILLING to pull around your Cumbustion
  3. Flawless management of rotation - you miss ONE spell - Byebye DMG

I liked fire once. But these days you are almost too dependant on other players to pull it off, Its like… The feral of mages, where you have to work your behind off, making sure you do NOT fail the timing of just one spell, and hope not to see your dmg go out the window.

I… don’t really believe that to be the case anymore? Our cooldown reduction is strong enough right now that I’ve had solid effects combusting around the tank’s pulls instead of expecting the tank to pull around combustion. Or just using it on cooldown, since even with 1-3 mob pulls the things still need to die in a timely manner for the key to be timed. This used to be more of an issue in 9.0-9.1, but now I’m not feeling like a tank not pulling around my CDs is holding me back that much.

none of these are true lol

1 Like

Season 2 (and start S3).
So not that long ago…

Also…

What the :duck: ?
That isn’t true at all…

1. Gear okay sure you need crit but who doesn’t…
  2. Untrue, you have combustion up 80% off the dungeon, doesn’t matter what pull happens.
  3. Isn’t that the essence off a “Rotation”? It works like that for every class… Imagine a Demon WL not pressing Hand of Guldan…

Please…
Just no…
If you were complaining about Arcane, fair play to you.
But you can’t complain about Fire or Frost mage…

Typical warrior meathead thinking;P
Nah fire is a lot more sensitive in rotation. In general you need to have muscle memory for combustion.
Its very easy to mess up, especially that you’re doing stuff while casting - cast fireball , during cast Combust , hit 1-2 fire blast depending if youre going for double pyro on opener or not and so on.
If you miss use fireblast - no dmg, if you combust without having at least 2 fireblast - no dmg. SBK procs but no fireblasts = no dmg.
I’d say from all classes Ive tried I felt only sub rogue to be so sensitive - if you miss-use or miss-time your stuff you do no dmg.

Excuse me sir, but Fire mage is my alt.
It has 4 ilvl below my Warrior…

Idk why you instantly gotta pull out the “Warrior Zugzug” comment…

As example…
Frost mage wrong/bad orb = no dmg.
Warrior wrong spear = no dmg.
Outlaw Rogue wrong Adrenaline Rush or Venthyr ability = no dmg.
WW monk wrong tiger = no dmg.
Demon WL wrong Tyrant = no dmg.

There is ALOT you can do wrong with ALOT of classes/specs it is called a “Cooldown” for a reason.
Only benefit Fire has that many don’t have it, Cooldown reduction on their Cooldown. Which is why Fire is so strong… So even if you mess up, soonTM you will be able to try again. Not having to wait 2-3 mins.

Idk about the other things you’ve listed since I have not played these specs, but aren’t those two examples of cooldowns significantly easier to use than an entire combustion rotation is to pull off? Frozen orb is just a thing you throw into the pack, reduce the cooldown of by keeping Blizzard on top of the pack and blast ice lances. A spear just does damage to the pack and is something you chain up your big bladestorm with because of that covenant legendary giving you crit damage.

Don’t both spear and orb have a lower base cooldown than combustion for a fire mage who doesn’t have fae priest cooldown reduction? Orb does actually have cdr, too.

U can complain as Frost, because its classified as F tier, what are you on about lol

Sure, you can complain it isn’t S-tier for an entire xpack :man_shrugging:.
But it was S-tier for quite some time this xpack.

And you still have a spec in the S-tier currently, wether or not you like it is a different topic.

There are plenty off classes without a S-tier choice spec, as is the benefit of playing a triple DPS spec class…
You could always swap spec’s and still fullfill the same role.

Some classes are even without an A-tier DPS spec…

As an example:
If a druid choses to DPS he is chosing between a terrible Melee ST spec, or a terrible Caster AOE spec both deal basicly no dmg. No good choice can be made.

A paladin has no choice but to go Retri, which is terrible in any scenario ever because off the lack of utility (or dps to compensate).

So yes, you could complain Frost is bad.
But no, there is no reason to not play Fire (or a diff class) if you complain Frost is bad.

U cannot justify a game where 1 spec does 10k overal damage lower then a meta spec. U cannot create a game, where u force people to either play meta or u dont matter. This game should be equally balanced in a way that all specs matters, because simply thats whats gaming is about. Why should I play something I dont like, just because the game forces me to? And ya, I do have choice not to. But if u play the game in a competitive way, u are indirectly forced to play something you dont like.

And dont tell me that blizzard isnt noticing this, because I am 100% they know but they dont care.

3 Likes

This is true, and extremely ironic. Blizzard intentionally moved away from class-identity to purposefully pursue a more spec-oriented design philosophy. When Ion himself says that 36 specs are way too many to balance, why the hell are they still forcing that design philosophy through?

I honestly liked it a lot more when certain specs were more suited for certain types of content. Frost was always the go-to spec for PvP, while Arcane was best for PvE, and when you got good gear, Fire took over.

Imo Blizzard should watch WotLK Classic deeply when it comes out. Literally every class was insane in one way or another, in both PvE and PvP. And you played the class, not the spec.

The way WoW is evolving is like watching Game of Thrones after George R. R. Martin couldn’t supplement the writers with any more finished material: it goes to sh*t. The majority of the original developers are gone, and they are the ones who made the WoW that took the world by storm. Now WoW is just fighting for survival every single expac…

1 Like

Pretty solid comment here