Fun time! You are a raid boss!

Yeah as the Topic says.

You are a raid boss!
Describe your tier of raid boss.

-Minor
-Large
-Huge deal.
-end boss.

Next tell us about your raid, what is the architecture?
What race or creatures are under your command?

Followed by your abilities and powers.

and what else you feel like sharing?
Maybe what loot you drop?
Are you involved in a quest?

Go nuts people and have fun!
( I’ll write my own when I have more time)

5 Likes

This could be interesting. I’ll have a hand at this once I got the time to write something down.
I shall return!

I would be a minor world boss Arothanal the Obsessed who’d have a chance to spawn at archaeology digsites or ruins. He’d hostile to Alliance characters and friendly to Horde characters, who could choose to talk to him about archaology instead of (or before) trying to steal his hard-earned treasures.

When attacked or aggroed he will shout:
No! You will not take my treasures! (To Alliance)
Filthy thief! (to Horde)
When dying: I thought… I had… finally found it.

Abilities:
[Enrage] [Passive] Has a 20% chance to become enraged when succesfully hitting with a normal attack, increasing damage dealt by 5% and attack speed by 10% for 10 seconds.
[Crush Defenses] Crushes the defenses of his current target so they take 30% more damage from Arothanal for 15 seconds. Cooldown 30 seconds.
[Bladestorm] Moves around the battlefield in a whilrwind of steel. Becomes immune to crowd control for 5 seconds and deals damage and applies a weak bleed effect to all enemies on his way. Cooldown 60 seconds.
[Arcane Torrent] Removes all beneficial magical effects from all targets within melee range. Has a 50% chance to be casted during battle but will be used only once.

When killed he’ll drop 20-60 random BfA archaeology fragments and one random keystone. This drop can be gotten only the first time.

(will add the Horde achaeology dialogue later when I get some more ideas for it)

3 Likes

Rush is a simple man; his encounter would probably be a high-level gear check where the raid is either prepared on their way in, or they aren’t.

He’d probably be encountered in some sort of Horde base in Dustwallow Marsh, where he lives, with gloomy, partially flooded locations full of cypress trees and seeming shortcuts which are actually full of elite swamp critter mobs. The area would probably be full of grunts and headhunters, more of whom Rush would call on for help during the encounter. His powers, like him, would be simple: DPS bursts, enrage timer, periodic AoE stuns. It’s a fight which would be more about the numbers than about the strategy.

I imagine that his neighbors might offer a quest reward to anybody who could get him to stop singing badly in the shower. His loot would be comedically disappointing for the gear repair fees required by wipes, like trash loot as well as ridiculous heirloom toys which make it clear that the players are being trolled just for joining the raid.

5 Likes

This.
I like the idea. Will be back when I’ve more time to elaborate.

2 Likes

Marinya is a minor boss. One of those seemingly random encounters that show up midway through a mid expansion creative dry spell. The raid is a larger Void themed assault on a revitalised twilight’s hammer cult that leads down to their new master deep beneath Grim Batol.

Winding tunnels and mines give way to ancient cave systems with blind troggs, Skardyn dwarves and other dark creatures tending prehistoric shrines and stalagtite obelisks inscribed with the impossible script of Shath’yar.

Barring your path is a desperate, lost soul. Not a cultist but too far gone to be coherent, she mumbles sinister verse before a grand mural in an amphitheatre, cryptically depicting things that were, are, and will be. Whatever she gleaned from it and the eye straining script clearly hurled her over some proverbial ledge and the truth of her observations have her refusing you any passage to the deeper levels of this escher-like temple city.

As you approach, she calls out and the Skardyn gather in the amphitheatre to watch. The fight begins with some simple spell flinging and annoying DoTs with the odd shath’yar incantation boosting the effect. The Skardyn are summoned to fight, having come to regard her musing as prophecy, putting pressure on the healers.

Halfway through, a bizzare utterance and eruption of void energy cracks your perception of the place as you share in her mind and suffering, reliving the past as the fall of Quel’Thalas. Golden spires, shining domed buildings and more tower all around you, wreathed in a thick smoke of fire and the cries of the undead and victims alike.

In this state she is frozen in a bubble; her symbolic prison and physical inability to let go. You are assaulted by shadowy memories of the Scourge and culling them has her reemerging as the grip of the ancient below is weakened by positive memories of being rescued.

The ancient will not allow this glimmer of hope and what was once an amphitheatre, then a ravaged city square morphs into the lamprey maw of a huge monstrosity. This is the final, dramatic phase of the fight and her vision of a possible future with obelisks, now fleshy, bursting from the meaty floor to hit you, making select targets hide behind them to survive her soul destroying voidbeam attacks. The Skardyn are replaced with a summoned voidwalker, demanding the tank’s attention while Aelwena the succubus desperately tries to protect Mistress, keeping the off tank busy.

Once brought to 1% health, the collective mental prison shatters and the warlock collapses. The amphitheatre is in ruins and the prophetic mural is broken. She mumbles cryptically about cages and conquerors and is left there, the way to the city open, its inverted geometries giving way to fanged doorways and blinking towers.

Much is made on forums and fansites of this particular boss’ “mad” ravings with attempts to translate them, just like Ilgynoth though it mostly adds up to warnings of the greater threat below the city, misery of the past and pleading to turn back.

She’d drop her family staff, tainted as it is along a few odd trinkets and a quest item in the shape of her satchel of notes. Turning them in to your faction expedition’s leader helps decipher a larger meta plot as part of a legendary item quest with a branching, warlock only quest for purple fire!

3 Likes

Note, I know next to nothing about raid mechanics, so I’m gonna just be talking more about the themes of the fight, not actually the mechanics.

The RP at the start of the bossfight would be you running into Lyth in a raid that’s the B plot of an expansion, of a small Legion remnant attacking a region and you needing to clear it out.

The demon hunter would insist you turn back and let him handle the situation, but when whatever NPC accompanies you insists on staying, he challenges you to a fight and you have to convince him (by beating him up) that you won’t be a liability in his Hunt.

When reduced to 1%, he’d just briefly kneel down, say something about being impressed and fly away, then reappear in the cutscene finishing up the raid and properly killsteal the last boss, because he’s a jerk like that.

So I would say the fight would be similar to Tirathon Saltheril, in that if you beat him enough, he goes metamorphosis, only, if you beat him more, he changes back in a final phase, dropping his weapons and hovering just a little way off the ground, doing a lot of felfire stuff and spawning trash a lot. Which I would assume would not actually be his minions, just some stray demons trying to take the opportunity of their enemies fighting each other.

Maybe actually have him start killing those too, and restoring his health with each kill, so you’d basically have to kill the trash before he gets to them so he can’t heal off of them.

The first phase, while he still has his weapons, what I was thinking, would be something like him dashing across the boss arena, so high mobility tanks would be great against him. This is where he’d be more focused, calculating his moves, using his weapons as necessary, but casting just as much spells, like the vengeance spec’s sigils, fel barrage, eye beam and other more creative fel based things.

The second phase, he’d be more slow, but do a lot of high dps AoE and stuns, being in his demon form. The abilities’ theme would most likely be sigils of flame, fel eruptions and him trying to grab and toss raid members, as well as fighting more burtally, using his body more than his weapons, so shoulder bashes, kicks, pommel strikes, stuff like that.

4 Likes

HAHAHAHA! PUNY MORTALS!! You have met your match!!! Tell me puny ones, how do you hope to defeat me and my delicious temptations??

Martok is the boss of all bosses.

How can you even lift your weapons when you hands are loaded with Martok’s delicious honeydew cakes?!

How can you even cast a spell when your mouths are full of Kaldorei Nectar cakes!?!

And per chance you manage to clear this cake-phase, how will you beat my charming smile and innocent features!!

And if you on the very rare occasion beat both phases do you really think your now cake induced obesity will help you run fast enough to catch me!!! HAHAHAHAHA! MARTOK WINS!!! TIME FOR MORE… CAKE!!!

Oh btw, Innkeeper Gryshka will spank you silly if you hurt Martok :stuck_out_tongue: She is the real mythic+ hidden raid boss

9 Likes

“What did you just say about my pudding?!?”

Meromel is that minor raid boss who for some reason takes every one of your weekly guild runs like three wipes to do even though she should be laughably easy and the developers just put in that one mechanic that you just can’t deal with, but that you forget that you hate because of the effects being cool. So basically a less important Mekkatorque.

The location is an odd room of random mage-shenanigans accompanied by conjured sweets. Here and there, portals pop open just to dump out a large pile of random possessions, scholar equipment or failed attempts at cooking. Oh, and unseen horrors of the arcane.

Phase 1!

Each one of the aforementioned portals has different ways that they’re dealt with. The scholar equipment causes a large circle of silences that you need to move out of as you gradually get slower and slower. Also, while the boss is within this circle, she is immune. Not soon afterwards, the portal will spit out living food. Yes, that’s just how wrong the cooking went. Anyways, the living food slowly hunts you down and create small circles where they’ll cast food-related spells. The mobs and their spells will have to be directed into the study book-fortress to make the pages all wet, soggy and useless!

The second combination of portals would be arcane horrors and random possessions. The arcane horror is a gargantuan arcane image of one of the raid members and is holding a random, obnoxiously noticeable item in their hand.

The raid member that is being copied by the horror will have to hunt down that specific item as it was also thrown out of a portal, along with several other random (probably useless) objects. When they do, they can banish the huge elemental, causing it to explode into several bubbles of buffing arcane goodness. (Who knows, perhaps Meromel knows that these bubbles are good, and will run around with mirror images trying to pick up more than her opponents!)

Phase 2!

You and the gang have now decided that you’re sick and tired of those portals, so you leap right into the closest ones you can see! This will split the party into three groups, constantly hopping in-and-out of their respective portal as they open and close, one taking you to a pocket dimension of living sketches, one to a dimension of sentient food and the final one taking you to this big ol’ arcane room. You gotta take down one boss in each place!

Phase 3!

(The idea of this one was taken from the “What Ultimate Attack would the character above you use?” thread from the Role-playing forum, and was conceptualized by Míraja with "Conjure Refreshment: DOOOOM!!!)

As you hop out of these weird portals a final time, you notice that Meromel is conjuring heaps, upon heaps of food. These random sweets, meats, and parakeets if you’re into that, form up to create a huge living opulence-like elemental, that transforms between a huge humanoid form and a tidal wave form. (This is just the "stay alive for a bit longer and don’t get 1-hit-killed by standing in big circles/big line-of-sights).

When you finally beat her on that fourth attempt where you accidentally used an elixir during break time/used food and then accidentally pressed “W” a second after and got fairly annoyed for having just wasted ~50 gold for nothing, she’d be able to drop something along the style of that one Jaina mount but made out of arcane pastries and sweets.

“I got lost in the sauce…” Final words uttered.

5 Likes

Meromel, you and Martok are my new favorite characters in this game. I was laughing the whole time while reading this.

I’m impressed by the amount of thought put into this.

2 Likes

Oooooh this is FUN! I gotta have a go.

Gridcog would be a minor raid boss if there ever happened to be a raid centered around Bilgewater Harbor as that is where he lives and works as a low end mechanic. He does have aspirations of rising up to an important Foreman for the Bilgewater Cartel. And that is what his fight would be based around.

He would probably be one of the early bosses.
The boss arena would be centered in a construction zone, where Gridcog is bossing other mechanics around, yelling at them with a crackling and whining megaphone, just to hammer in the obnoxious bossing. "Move that! Over there! WHO SAID YOU COULD STOP?! GO GO GO!" etc

Obvious item of importance in this encounter would be a nearby oil pipe, which are common sights around Bilgewater Harbor. This big ol’ pipe being held up by a single support beam. Hmmmmmm.

When the party enters the construction zone, Gridcog will look over at them from the top of the scaffolding and yell at them through the megaphone:

"HEY, WHOA! This is a restricted area! Who the… Wait! AWW NO! You GOTTA BE KIDDIN’ ME! It’s the intruders! I- uhh- Well! Don’t just stand there! GET IN THERE! The BOSS is gonna have my head!"

Gridcogs underlings then begin swarming out of the nooks and crannies of the construction yard as trash mobs. The ones above rain nuts, bolts and wrenches down as AOE attacks that must be dodged. The aim of the phase is to deal with the trash while at the same time damaging the Oil pipe that stood out, as it has an HP bar and all. When the party has managed to bring the pipe supports HP down to zero, Gridcog will say the following line:

"Wait… What are they doin’ to my- WAITNO STOOOOP!!! NOOOOoooo!"

As the line plays, the pipeline will crash down from its supports, breaking apart and spewing oil all over the battlefield. Gridcog is fuming up on his perch as he yells through the megaphone:

"That DOES IT! That’s gonna cost me my BONUS! SECURITY! SECUUURITYYY!"

A huge ogre explodes through a part of the scaffolding, sending goblins flying with comical screams. The ogre roars and charges into the party, forming a long AOE warning bar, telling players to dodge this initial charge. Afterwards, the battle actually begins, with the Security ogre performing occasional leap attacks that cause heavy damage to those caught in under it. Eventually though, the ogre will go down and Gridcog groans into his megaphone.

"Yer really gonna make me come down there, huh?"

The goblin digs out a remote from his pocket and while holding it up says:

"I gotta say… You’s guys really screwed up my whole operation here."

A very prominent CLICK sounds as the goblin presses the big red button on the remote and finishes:

"S’only fair I SCREW UP YOURS!"

A massive goblin shredder rockets down from the sky and crashes down right in front of Gridcog, who jumps into the mechs pilot seat and for his first move strikes a rain of sparks from the ruined scaffolding near him, setting the oil pools around the arena ABLAZE.

The shredder shudders into motion as it begins advancing through the flames and Gridcog yells: "THIS IS FOR MY BONUS!!!"

The final battle with Gridcog is actually very straightforward, aside from the randomized, flaming oil pools that make positioning a little tricky. The shredder is a very basic lumber extractor type, only super sized and made tanky by several additional layers of scrap that have been riveted on the mech. At this point Gridcog is still very cofident in his mech and brags through the speakers of the mech: "My baby’s FREAKIN’ INVINCIBLE! Ain’t no way yer little toothpicks gonna get- wait, NOT THERE!"

And right on cue, as the damage piles on, the scrap plating begins coming off and as it comes closer to its eventual critical shutdown, the mech begins speeding up. The shredder attacks faster and faster and performs a devastating singular whirlwind spin with its sawblades shredding everyone around the mech.

Once the shredder reaches its last bits of health, Gridcog will begin yelling incoherently from the cockpit:

"Look! UHH! M-MAYBE WE CAN COME INTO AN-" something explodes in the cockpit "OWW! AGH! LOOK! WE CAN WORK THIS OUT! LET’S MAKE A DEAL! WHATEVER YOU-"

At this point, the goblin will be saying all sorts of pathetic things and will get cut off the moment the shredder hits zero. One of the shredders rocket jets malfunctions and begins pinwheeling the massive mech into the sky as Gridcog shrieks his last lines over the speakers while getting further into the sky.

The goblins last line is "MY BOOOONUUUUUSS!" before the mech explodes in the sky and then comes crashing down into the middle of the arena, where the loot chest will appear, in front of the smoking wreck.

RIP

That was so much fun to think up!

4 Likes

Shameless bump for this awsome thread!

I’ll write down my boss eccounter description next week, but first I have to pass an exam…

1 Like

Egads! And to think I thought attunements were the worst thing to have to get to face a boss!

2 Likes

This thread was a good morning read and needs more love indeed. So here’s mine.

Bell would be that fourth or fifth tricky boss drops that amazing healer trinket, an alright ring for tanks and useless cloak. Almost everyone hates because she would require to divide groups beforehand and often interruptions to certain spells. She is not there yet -of course- but give it a decade or two (or a century), she meets the “Champion of Azeroth” or “Group of Heroes” during the early expansion as an NPC. The alluring priestess posing as a helping hand, a kind soul that would help with a quest, taking care of the wounds of the Hero so they can go full rampage without the worry of dying, walking to the corpse and ressing because flying isn’t possible yet. When Old God/Void Lord of the week shows their face during mid-expansion, she reaches to hero to speak about ‘an artifact Blizzard just made up’ and how she was looking for it for years now, and it will be helpful about the ongoing problem. Around this time, she would start to give the signals of being deceiving, maybe letting a couple of innocents die in a short-quest line for her own gain or torture someone to gather more information about the said artifact. But since the Hero has no intelligence to suspect or act on anything until the very end, careless enough to follow a void dagger-lady knaifu to the inn of N’zoth, that’s certainly not a problem at the moment.

She would meet with the heroes at the beginning of the raid, letting them clear a couple of bosses and traps until they reach the chamber that specific artifact is being held. She slowly walks towards to the artifact while Hero/es are just watching at the background of a cutscene, and claims the power for herself. "I have no need of you anymore." Only at that point Hero/es take arm against her, because she didn’t give the said artifact to them, and now she DARES to act cocky towards the hero as well, while she was sucking up their boots earlier, so she must be a - baddie - that needs stopping.

"Do you think I would trust the knowledge of ancients to you? No, no. You were just a stepping stone." (Necessary Kael’thas meme but not a mere setback part because it’s over-used.)

And the fight starts.

"Now why would I fight alone? That would be very unfair. I am a simple healer after all."

She immediately summons her own “champion”, a fighter in full plate that would act as a mini-boss, maybe another NPC that she was seen together before, or even different fighters each week, rotating. He/she needs to die for phase one to end, and Bell to actually be damaged. (Buffed against %90 of the damage and can’t be downed even if she reaches %1 health, for the future expansions she will be farmed because she is part of the raid, not because she drops a good transmog.)

Both Bell and mini-boss need to be tanked separately or they buff each other. Bell needs to be interrupted occasionally even though she won’t be receiving too much damage at this phase, or else she heals the mini-boss.

"No!" When mini-boss dies, showing emotions, anger, and sadness. She kneels down near the fallen mini-boss, closes their eyes, “You will pay for this!” and consumes the void-artifact thing.

Phase two starts, this would be the tricky part. She would use spells and corrupted magic that stacks and turns heroes into mind-controlled minions of hers at a certain number. Those divided groups beforehand need to soak up damage in order. Although it doesn’t take long for her to reach around %5 health, she wouldn’t have too much health.

When she understands she can’t win and she is about to die, she uses the artifact to open a passage to the ACTUAL raid, from the tomb-like place to escape. Of course, heroes follow her through. "I - I still need time, I still need power…"

Phase 3 would end even quicker than the second one since she has almost no health left. All heroes need to do survive area damage caused by the actual area she teleported, not her, long enough to burst her down. (BL here!)

[Thalassian] "Will Sun guide my soul… to my - " (blergh, dying sounds.) R.I.P.

When she is dead the artifact is freed and shared among heroes to protect them against the harsh environment of void/space/another planet/old god home. They continue their quest for loot.

And she lies there, dead. Was it because of her hunger for knowledge? Was she really that evil, was she working for the big baddie, or was she just selfish? Who knows, Blizzard doesn’t care, and she was annoying and unnecessary. The artifact is forgotten after the raid, so she is.

2 Likes

Trautfizzle would probably end up being the endboss of the Bilgewater Harbour raid Gridcog mentioned. As a Bilgewater Battalion Captain and a Warlock, he’d command his demon armies and Bilgewater soldiers to the best of his abilities. SO!

Place: Bilgewater Harbour, playing from the prospective of Alliance invaders, you’d tear a course through Bilgewater Harbour, only to find that Captain Trautfizzle is attempting to stall you as citizens evacuate and the Cannon prepares to fire on its target.

Races and Creatures: Trautfizzle would command Bilgewater soldiers and engineers as well as his demonic Lieutenants Hellissa, Meevil and Zerikrike before he finally summons his Shivarra, Delersia.

Abilities and Powers:

Phase 1 - Captain Trautfizzle is trying to prepare something inside the command room, you will be constantly assailed by Bilgewater soldiers and Hellissa, Meevil and Zerikrike will occasionally join. Hellissa will charm multiple members of the raid, Meevil will throw potions which cause Hobgoblins to absolutely wreck things around them and Zerikrike will unleash devastating felstorms. The phase ends once all three demonic Lieutenants are dead.

Phase 2 - The Bilgewater Cannon begins charging up. Trautfizzle appears on a balcony and draws on all of the energy from his demons to summon Delersia, a Shivarra who assails the raid by blinking about and unleashing all sorts of fel based attacks which combine all of the previous demons abilities as Trautfizzle lobs spells from the balcony.

Phase 3 - Once the Shivarra is down, Trautfizzle jumps into the fray himself. He pilots a giant mech, much like the one in Hellfire Citadel. It has all sorts of Goblin and fel based armaments which cause absolute chaos. At the end the cannon fires and Traut springs the ejector seat, leaving the mech to collapse as he falls into his ATV, flying off badly wounded. You then teleport away to watch the cannons shot hit its target to devastating effect.

Loot!

Trautfizzle would drop various items from his demons such as Hellissa’s diary, Meevils corrosive mixture and Zerikrikes Axe. He also has a chance of dropping an upgraded ATV mount alongside the usual raid gear.

Voicelines?

Phase 1:

SO. You thought you could just come to THIS Harbour, whack all of MY goons and get away with it? Think again! You’re gonna’ pay for all of the property damage you’ve done and for the funerals of those ya’ve slaughtered- WITH INTEREST!

Zerikrike, CHOP EM’ TO PIECES!

Meevil, do something useful for once!

Hellissa, go on out there, I’m counting on ya’ to take those targets out and keep things under control!

Phase 2:

I can’t believe it, you KILLED my demons! No matter, the cannon is in its charging phase and the citizens are almost out, time to show you what I can really do. I SUMMON THEE, DELERSIA!

How’d ya’ like this?

Rain hellfire and felfire!

Bilgescourge Bombers pummel ya’ from the air!

Phase 3:

Gah… Lucky shot… But I’m not done… Introducing my final act, the felfire pummeller 3000! It’s a working title- OK?

Let’s see what this cannon can do!

Terminating ya’…

Time to do some pummelling!

Defeat:

Gah… You may’ve killed my demons, killed my soldiers, destroyed my mech- but you won’t get me, not ol’ Jastor Trautfizzle… I hope you enjoy watching it all burn, I sure will…

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.