Game crashes after character select

Today when I woke up and tried booting up my WoW it decided to crash after character selection. It does this every single time and there doesn’t seem to be a fix.
I’ve tried:

• Scanning & Repairing
  • Updating drivers
  • Disable Windows 10 recording
  • Running the client in beta and “normal” mode.

I am running DirectX 12 on my PC so that shouldn’t be a problem either.

I have never had this occur before, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have encountered the same Issue today. Today around 2AM (UTC+2) I was able to log in without an issue. This morning, I couldn’t access any of my characters getting crashed on a loading screen.
As above I’ve tried:

• Scan and Repair
  • Full reinstall (along with installing a game in a different directory)
  • Disabled all 3rd party apps (like: GeForce Experience, Discord, MSI Gaming App)
  • Reboot
  • Changing Display settings to minimum / Changing DirectX
  • Disabled all addons

Very rarely the game crashed at ‘Logging in to game sever’ screen. Usually once per reinstall. Afterwards it crashes whenever I select any character from the list. The loading screen appears but progress bar doesn’t move at all. Once I click, the game crashes.

Not much in Event Viewer but:

The program Wow.exe version 8.3.7.35662 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
Process ID: 4808
Start Time: 01d6971771e0ece9
Termination Time: 2
Application Path: F:\World of Warcraft_retail_\Wow.exe
Report Id: 13e335b1-f7f2-4c41-b548-992f96432c42
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Hang type: Unknown

World of Warcraft Classic works as expected
World of Warcraft PTR does take a while to load a game, and the same issue happens when I try to select a character.

To clarify, is this happening when you actually attempt to login to the characters? Or before you attempt to enter world?

If you’ve not already done so, can you please Reset your user interface completely and check again before attempting to install any addons again?

Initially the problem was happening both when trying to connect to world and when trying to login to the characters. Currently the issue occurs only whenever I’m trying to login to the character. Once I hit the “Enter World” button, the loading screen appears (black background) with the game tip and progress bar at the bottom of the screen, progress bar however, stays at 0%. The screen stays like that until I perform any action, i.e. press any button, or click LMB/RMB. Then it crashes.

@edit
I’ve kept the loading screen for a while (around 10 minutes) once I have triggered Windows notification that application stopped responding. After that time the game returned to normal. Loading screen appeared and I logged in. My assumption is server latency (maybe?).

I’ve closed WoW, and retried the same, It looks like the issue is no more, as I logged in instantly. I’d confirm the same with OP.

1 Like

I’m encountering the same problem as described above. It started this morning and crashes on either “Logging in to game server” or as soon as i try to log in. (In Retail/PTR and Beta, classic works fine)

No problems when i’m using another computer.

@edit:
Iskanas solution worked. Thank you!

Same issues here on MAC. Game Freezes on 0% after hitting “enter the world”

Classic works fine.

@Ferumlac suggestion didn’t help.

Same for me. Tried running repair, updated nvidia drivers, I have recently re-installed the game as well. I get into character selection, but when I try to enter world I’m greeted with an empty loading bar and a black screen. I also reset my interface, no effect. At first it was stuck on loading, so I didn’t even get into character selection.

And as I was typing this it, started to work. All I did was wait after resetting interface. The loading screen was stuck for several minutes maybe 10-15 mins.

I would like to joint the “Unable to enter World” Club. For the last couple of days I have been seeing “the downloading in the background circle” all over the continents. Entering the World was getting slower and slower and right now I am unable to enter, no matter what I have tried.

1 Like

Same thing for me on Mac

Same issues on my MacBook Pro. Logged in succesfully this morning. Problems kicked in a few hours ago.

Any news? Still crushing instantly after “Enter World” was clicked in Char Selection screen. The Interface Reset the blue post mentioned was done but nothing changed!

After de-installing the Shadowlands Beta (and WoW Classic) I could log in again!

Managed to solve it, i disabled Xbox Game Bar and it started working!