Game Freezes Frequently

how to exclude aplication to not show on screen display i never must do this kind thing. Its little discusting what blizzard doing i cant bieleve this…

hey everyone.

i started playing the game finally again (didn’t have time since shadowlands released but now i can finally play the xpac yay) and i got this issue aswell. every 15-45 minutes the screen would just freeze and the game’s audio etc would continue working and running.

i searched for the issue and i found (before finding this thread lol) out that its clearly msi afterburner which is the issue because disabling it completely fixes the freezes.

sad to hear from you that even the newest msi afterburner updated doesn’t fix this issue because the afterburner is elementary for me to playing this game as i always want to have the RTSS overlay running (i build in a better clock for all games into the RTSS overlay and stuff like that).

hope either blizzard or RTSS will fix this issue fast and let us use the RTSS overlay once again like it worked flawlessly for years upon years :smiley:

just wanted to write here so this gets some more publicity. the more people report this, the fast it will be fixed i think :slight_smile:

Yeah that just sorted it out for me too. Already one full hour without issues after disabling MSI Afterburner and Riva Tuner completely.

it seems for me also disabling riva in game fix this freezes but this is strange how game can work normal for many years , and its bugged from yesterday??? they patch something there is nothing in hotfix notes i dont understand what blizzard is doing

You dont have to disable the whole afterburner, just need to exclude wow.exe by adding it to rivatuner exclude list and then just switch off ‘show on-screen display’

2 Likes

Haven’t had a single freeze in over an hour of playtime since I disabled Rivatuner for WoW. Thanks for the advice!

Edit: Can confirm, have been able to play for a few hours yesterday without any issue after disabling WoW in Rivatuner. No need to close MSI Afterburner.

Disabling MSI Afterburner and Riva seems to work. 1h in-game and no freeze yet.

Greeting.
In the last 3-4 days I can’t play at all because every time I log in the game freezes after 3-5 minutes of playing. The addons are fresh, the graphics drivers are also updated, I tried to play without addons but the situation is the same. Radeon graphics card, on another computer with Nvidia graphics card, I don’t have such problems and the game works without freezing, but I have a problem with disconnecting after landing from the flight master and trying to step with the character.
My guess is that there are issues with the compatibility of the game with Nvidia and Radeon graphics cards because similar problems have occurred with previous expansions.

I think I have found a solution, it is necessary to change the setting to Direct x 11 in the settings of the game itself.
Adjustment for those who do not know; Menu> System> advanced> graphics api> set to directX 11.
This is a way to solve the problem of freezing the game, for the problem of disconnecting when you land at the flight master I have not yet found a solution.

1 Like

sorry, but this is not a good solution as DX11 is complete trash. DX12 is miles better in this game (like 30-40% more performance, which matters as long as you don’t have a Ryzen 5000 or Intel 10000 -.-

The problem here is clearly that RTSS overlay for all of us :frowning: It worked flawlessly for years and now it freezes the game. I seriously hope someone will be able to fix this (either RTSS guys or Blizzard) as its annoying me like crazy not being able to play the game with my RTSS overlay as i got used to knowing my temperatures and all other things all the time.

the game is just not as fun as it was with the RTSS overlay. I could say this for any other games too but all other games still work flawlessly with my RTSS overlay so i don’t have to. Its just WoW and i bet Blizzard broke something, like always (because i haven’t updated my Afterburner and RTSS since Feb 2021 (before someone says update it… nah, the newest version still freezes the game and before i updated it in feb 2021 i had a 3 year old version of both, Afterburner and RTSS and it still worked flawlessly with everything, including wow back then)

1 Like

Sometimes the DX 11 standard mode is a good solution if for some reason there is a bug in DX12 code path. What’s bad is the DX 11 legacy mode wow has - that easily can actually hammer your performance.

If there is a solution to the problem then it should be used, I prefer to play rather than wait for days for one of the experts to sit down and take and fix the problem at the software level. It’s not about whether the direct X 12 is better than 11, but about the fact that there is a temporary solution that allows you to play without waiting for one of the developers to fix the bug.

scrolling through the mythic+ list in the tool gives me freezes. they probably sold another server off to maximize their profit XD

I am runing a I9 10gen 16GB 500gb with only windows on and wow and photoshop hhd is NVMe Water cooler on Cpu RTX 2060 6gb with 60 fps with G on with out 300fps never had problem but today i frezz 3 times… last night on raid noting no lag noting today just frezz like the people talking about here… right now i clearing anything updateing etc etc …

I temps are 40c on Cpu now and GPU is 45 when playing ti hits around 45-50 on CPU GPU around 60-69 and its around 30c in my county now

Check your temps and see what they are dont under AfterB try useing something elese … and let us know .

Same Issue. My game screen freezes. And I only hear sounds, but still can use abilities. This has been happening since I downloaded new drivers AMD Adrenalin 21.6.2. Reinstalling windows did not help. Blizzard think someone want to hack my account because I did a lot of Alt+F4. It happens even without addons.

looks like most people just don’t get it so i’ll say it once again.

the issue here is the RTSS overlay, which bugs out and freezes the game (or the opposite, the game bugs out when the overlay is active and freezes itself, idk but in the end it doesn’t matter).

its clearly and only the rtss overlay causing this freezing issue. disable your rtss overlay for wow and it will work flawlessly. it has for me since i did it and an hour ago i enabled it again to see if maybe the new patch from yesterday fixed it but it still froze within like half an hour.

since i disabled it once again, it stopped freezing. please blizzard, fix this issue so the rtss overlay works flawlessly once again like it did for all those years before this bug happened a few days ago. i literally can’t enjoy the game without my rtss overlay, i’m even thinking about unsubbing and waiting until this is fixed (i can always test it out for free with chars below lvl 20 to see if the issue is fixed ofc :P)

2 Likes

Have the same problem on Rtx2060 i5 9400f graphic is up to date and dont have any problem just freeze and i can hear sounds but cant do anything and should close the game and launch it again please fix it

actually today i froze like 5 times 3 of them inside rated bgs…and this never happens ,i came here and found this post whats happening?

I don’t even have the afterburner thing on at all. I’ve had this since the start of the patch.
I tend to get it in any of the new areas, and when it’s large groups. So I am pretty much unable to do dungeons or raids, and have to just pray I get a good hit in on a rare before the swarm hits it and i’m frozen for 5-10 seconds at a time. Long enough to git hit by special moves.

Which is weird, because I can play Warframe, and other more intense games on might higher settings with much more intense effects with little to no issue.

Hello,
Finally this thread is here !
Poland reporting the same issue, updating my Nvidia drives now, turned off MSI afterburner, hopefully will fix this.
Will update the afterburner as well, maybe that will fix this.