Game is completely non functional with G-Sync enabled

So I have an Acer XB271HU 1440p 165hz and Acer XB281HK 4k 60hz monitors, both of which are G-Sync (and a 3rd ‘discord’ screen which is just some old potato)
About a month ago I noticed when I loaded the character screen, I would get a small amount of flickering at the top and bottom of the screen, once I loaded in game it was fine so I just ignored it as I was basically rebuilding my PC ‘soon’ anyway (I did this last friday). Game was still doing it but I hadnt got round to looking into it further yet.
Today when I started up wow to be confronted with 2 massive giant black bars shooting around (horizontally) around the screen, tried to load into the game to see if they dissapeared like before but they didnt, wow turned into a slide show with black bars across the screen and everything on my other monitors going all weird and distorted. Suffice as to say my PC then crashed. Rebooted it, opened up the game and tried to tweak some settings - tried disabling v-sync as it was on for some reason, no joy. Tried changing to windowed mode - big mistake. Everything went to sheet and my PC crashed hard - this is from the bsod log - dxgkrnl.sys dxgkrnl.sys+210ae1 fffff80744a30000 fffff80744d6f000 0x0033f000 0xb964ef01 24/07/2068 23:55:45
dxgmms2.sys dxgmms2.sys+3a149 fffff80745f30000 fffff80746008000 0x000d8000 0xde16c166 27/01/2088 09:14:14
nvlddmkm.sys nvlddmkm.sys+19dd60 fffff8074abc0000 fffff8074bfe0000 0x01420000 0x5c5b3281 06/02/2019 19:16:17

Anyway did some googling, someone on the US forums mentioned something vaguely similar, although not as bad, and he said he resolved it by disabling G-Sync, I tried the same and lo and behold it works fine now, smooth as it should be with no black bars.
I’ve had these screens for years and never had a problem until recently.

Is this issue on someones radar?

Hey Julinn,

This sounds like a possible driver issue to me. Let’s try and clear your current graphics driver using a Display Driver Uninstaller and install the latest graphics drivers afterwards. Before testing the game again, please do make sure that there are no other applications active in the background that could potentially interfere (close background applications, make sure there are no active overlays) and go through the steps to clear your UI (addons) fully as well.

Have a few seconds to spare? Let me know how I’m doing!

Sorry I should have mentioned that I already tried that.

Also, as this is a new machine, all of my drivers are currently on their latest versions as of last Saturday.

Full disclosure, I work in IT, I don’t mind getting my hands dirty.

1 Like

Update: It’s still doing it. All other games run fine with G-Sync, just not wow.

Was that all the technical support I can expect?

Hey Scuttles,

I can have a closer look into your System Files, but do note that the issue you described it outside of our scope of support (game crashes when using G-sync, works normal without). I’ll see what I can find though, so please go through the steps listed here, and create both the MSInfo and DxDiag files. Post them on a page like Pastebin.com or share directly with us through OneDrive. Post the links here afterwards, so we can have a look.

Have a few seconds to spare? Let me know how I’m doing!