"Game Rant Interview on Hero Talents" People want LESS cosmetic skills?

So I just read the game rant interview and I’m sorry…what? There are people who want LESS cosmetic skills? huh??

If anything, I’m of the opposite stance, I feel like many of the hero talents aren’t doing enough and are just acting as normal talent spells. I don’t know if I simply got my hopes up or if the initial showcasing of mountain thane made me think all other classes would get spells that improved their visuals somehow.

A lot of the hero talents fall flat in terms of visual animation.
As a dark ranger I feel like there is barely anything going on. As a demon hunter, you get like a purple glaive throw that returns to you and that’s about it. I guess I expected too much when I thought most of their rotation spells would be improved, so you actually FELT like a dark ranger, or whatever an aldrachi demon hunter is.

Guess I was expecting them to be a bit closer to “class skins” concept where it really helped sell the idea of the hero talent you’re supposed to embody.

1 Like

Thing is they can never please everyone. We’ve seen some upset that it ruins their class fantasy and we’ve seen others saying the Hero talents don’t go far enough.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with them considering giving people options to avoid the new animations. To this day I hate the new wings (Avenging Wrath) animation and always glyph it to butterfly wings because I can change it back with a glyph.

I personally don’t want flashy animations like in FF14 however I do want more flavorful and thematic animations. Like when I’m swinging a weapon in a fire attack I don’t want my screen to explode into flames however I do like where there are stuff like flaming trail behind weapon etc. Also I’d like there to be customization like this. Like maybe a lightforged draenei could have holy looking animations on their warrior attacks while a void elf could have void infused attacks. Just what I think.

People want more options.

They want to have the option IF they do not like a new visual of a spell, to have the old one. More choice seems to be good almost always.

I think if something doesn’t behave differently, it should not look differently. I wanna have a 1:1 map in my brain saying “this thing I see here does that thing”

In addition, I think there are too many things on the screen in general. Thre are just 8 passives and 4 fire-and-forget spells being put down by each player and there’s 5-6 players and then nobody can see anything. They’ve got to get that under control, and until they do there’s really no way for this game to become readable again.

I was happy to read in that article that the artists are now thinking more about showing what’s important, but right now we’re in a really bad place.