Game should be free to play; patchs are not worth the sub

You still paid €40 for Shadowlands. So even without a susbcription it hardly turns into a free-to-play game, does it?

2 Likes

Please no. If you dont like the games quality , please unsub

1 Like

Can i have your profession materials?

That’d be a B2P model then. Not F2P after purchase…

1 Like

For all it’s flaws, you can still play WoW without the latest expansion.
SL will come for free in a couple of years.
I got the 6 months subscription mount yesterday and I haven’t purchased SL.
Today I was in Atal’Dazar and there were 2 players riding it.

For me at least, I’m paying for the subscription around the same amount as I paid when I started playing in October 2005.

If people are not happy with the game, just speak with your wallets.
That’s what I did, after I got totally burned out with BFA expansion.
Didn’t purchased SL, having fun, no more daily stress or the need to be up to date with the latest content.

Cheers.

Right. So there’s no free-to-play boogeyman waiting if WoW was to lose its monthly subscription.

You’d still have to give Blizzard money up front to play Shadowlands and you’d still be able to give them even more money through their Online Store and Account Services.

And on the flip-side, then Blizzard would still give you the quality game experience you desire, because that’s the premise for you sticking around and giving them money.

The subscription is just excess money you’re giving them because you arbitrarily think it gives you a higher quality game experience than if you didn’t give them that money. But that’s not reality.

It’s not like Blizzard ramped up the game quality after the Online Store was introduced, because now they earned more money! No! You got the exact same as always. Blizzard just got more money.

They make a ton of money on the WoW Token. Does that extra profit result in a higher quality game production from Blizzard’s side? No. You get the same box product and the same content and systems patches as always.

It doesn’t matter how much money you give Blizzard so long as they get enough that their investment in the game is worth it. And with $2.1 billion in profit last year, it is clearly worth it.

2 Likes

Read the thread title. He’s talking about F2P, not B2P.

That’s your way out? :roll_eyes:

Fair enough.

I’ll pass on the note to the OP as well that even without a subscription, then Shadowlands still costs €40 and the game would therefore not quality as free-to-play under the strictest of definitions.

So we all understand that free-to-play isn’t something WoW needs to be saved from, even withtout a subscription.

1 Like

I’ll pay a sub because the alternative to it is a major cash shop and a ton of locked behind paywall features.

Also, the servers are quite decent so unless you’re playing on overpopulated realms, you will generally have a smooth experience.

F2P would make the game even worse, and it attracts worse people.

When Cataclysm was released WoW had 12 million subscribers.

Let’s be generous and say that today WoW has 6 million subscribers.

So Blizzard have lost half its subscription income.

To what degree is that evident?

You still get a new expansion of roughly the same size every ~2 years for ~€40.
You still get ~3 content patches and ~3 systems patches over the course of an expansion.
You still get the same server access and customer support.

Surely if not having a subscription results in some dystopian alternative, then we should be seeing at least half of that already, shouldn’t we?

But we’re not…

Isn’t it more true to say that regardless of whether WoW has a subscription or not, then you get the exact same game experience as always, because the investment that goes into creating that game experience is enough to turn a profit with a healthy cost/benefit for Blizzard?

Blizzard probably has a very lucrative profit margin for WoW. It doesn’t really matter whether the money comes from box sales, subscriptions, account services or the online store. Once the costs for the game’s operations are covered, then the rest is pure profit.

And as a gamer you’re not getting a better WoW experience in any shape or form by arguing that Blizzard should have a ludicrously high profit margin versus a moderately high profit margin. That excess profit does not find its way back to WoW.

Blizzard don’t invest more money into WoW just because players throw more money at them. And your WoW experience isn’t put into jeopardy if suddenly Blizzard were to get less money from its players – because Blizzard’s investment into WoW is still worth it. It makes a ton of money.

1 Like

Kid lies down in a supermarket, kicking their heels and screaming because the world is not going their way…

1 Like

As a consumer you can express your criticism in two ways. You can vote with your wallet if you are past the point of caring or you can complain if you still care. Both are respected and fair options and whatever feels right depends on the individual.

Mocking either approach whilst being a consumer yourself is downright pathetic. You’re not Blizzard and you don’t stand to gain anything by taking opposition to your own interests. And it sure as hell isn’t in your own interest to approve paying an arbitrary amount of money for an arbitrary quality of product. As a consumer it’s always in your interest to pay the least for the most.

Again, you’re not Blizzard. Bobby Kotick doesn’t give you anything because you help him make more money by giving him more of your own. No. He just takes what you’re willing to give him, and if you don’t ask for anything in return, then you don’t get anything.

1 Like

Actually it is. At least in my opinion. Given it shows you practically nothing.

Should have been where this post started and ended, in order to sound like an adult. Vote with your Wallet.

Not really. That isn’t how society has worked for thousands of years now. You always, always have the right to go “I don’t like this thing I bought, I will set it aside” and behave like an adult… Or…you can keep the thing you bought, and see someone else actually enjoying the thing that you bought, and go up to them and start telling them why they should not enjoy it. Basically these threads.

He has zero impact on my life, I don’t get upset by him. He’s a rich man who benefits from owning a company. Shock Horror. Should I be equally angry when I buy a can of coke (Other brands do exist) or pay for Netflix, or buy clothes, or a pint at my local pub? I mean someone else is profiting from this, right?

Sometimes you can make a difference by voting with your wallet. I choose to do so with a certain pub chain in the UK, because the owner is a racist scumbag who treated his staff like utter dirt during the Panemic.

I really don’t get where you are coming from there, are you suggesting I don’t do something that I pay for, for my own enjoyment?

1 Like

Being able to play.

:man_shrugging:t4:

Oh, I just feel like rebutting the stupid posts that belittle people when they express their dissatisfaction with the game’s pricing as if that is somehow wrong to do because it does not follow their own modus operandi.

That’s all.

“game should be free to play for something people worked for” and you should not get payment for doing your work?

The subscription model is dated.

They need to keep the expansions paid and remove the sub, also add a giga shop with cosmetics to the game.

I would legit pour more money for cosmetics than I give them via sub anyway.

1 Like

I wouldn’t in the slightest