Game won't launch

Hi all,

Been trying and failing to get WoW to launch consistently for over 6 hours today (not including the time I wasted on this yesterday). I renewed my subscription in the hopes that I could get back into the swing of the game before Classic but I can’t even start the game 99% of the time. I open the launcher, press play, the launcher says the game is running but it’s clearly not. It doesn’t appear in the task manager at all. The only way I get get the game to start is by restarting my PC and launching WoW immediately, which is obviously extremely inconvenient and annoying.

I’m sure people are sick to death of seeing this issue and I’m aware that this is already an existing one. However, none of the solutions out there have worked for me (just my luck) so I don’t see the point in paying a subscription if all I get is technical issues.

Any help would be appreciated

What’s your hardware? Can you alt-tab into the game or does wow.exe shows up on the process explorer?

Good morning Locochite,

As you are not mentioning which steps you have already undertaken to get this sorted, I’d suggest you are going through these steps here.

Kind regards

What’s your opinion?

I’ve tried all of these steps, I still get the same issue. On top of that, I’ve tried uninstalling WoW, uninstalling the Blizzard launcher and re-installing both and tried removing all my addons, none of this worked.

hm… could you launch WoW.exe via command line (cmd.exe) and check if there are any error messages printed in the console? Other option would be to check Windows Event Viewer for it.

Hey Tuskh,

What you described in your original post often indicates that a different application is preventing the game from launching properly. Let’s go through the steps to close background applications and temporarily disable security apps. Retest once more when done.

Have a few seconds to spare? Let me know how I’m doing!

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed reply. I managed to find the issue. My Antivirus is preventing the game from starting, (I’m using Avast Premier) the only way to get the game to start is to disable my Antivirus and the launch it.

2 Likes