[Generic]{Interesting}(Topic) [1] šŸ³

Iā€™d explain the musical genius of Pop Will Eat Itself, but frankly I think it would be wasted on these damned millennialsā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™m a millennial , but iā€™m not a ā€œok boomerā€ millennial though, the ones with the ā€œNo Uā€ attitude.
Those give us a bad name.

I meanā€¦

/cheers

In the spirit of this thread, I am being deliberately bellicose, I actually think that each generation has a unique take on the world that is defined by the world they grew up in, and the technology available to them. A millennial will never have known what it was like, growing up when I did, likewise, I have no frame of reference either, apart from talking to my younger cousins. And -That- is why the Internet, for all its flaws, is fundamentally a good thing, it allows cross pollination of ideas between generations that hitherto were just not possible. If I asked you why ā€œ99 Red Balloonsā€ sends panic through my brain, or why ā€œPaint your windows whiteā€ once was a good idea, or why a Big black monolith falling on me was a sense of dread in my early teens, you would think me a madman, same as we scoff at things that are very real concerns these days to people. We never worried about Climate change when I was a kid, who cared, the Soviets were going to nuke us all anyway!

On a vaguely serious note, that is why I think the Internet is a -good- thing, because of the cross pollination of ideas and experiences.

4 Likes

[also jumps in with why canā€™t blues post in proper threads]

1 Like

This in ten letters

1 Like

Is it due to armpit hair?

Back on topic
[writes, deletes, writes, deletes, writes, deletes, hits cancel]

2 Likes

[Mandatory comment about how this is a miracle as a blue finaly replied to a thread that truly mattered]

8 Likes

No, but that did astonish me ā€œGirls have that too!ā€

How much juvenile people here!
To explain my age you consider that I saw a Beatles concert when I was 5 yo ( my old brother took me with him) but alas I donā€™t have any memory of that. I saw the man on the moon, the end of Vietnamā€™s war, the first coinup games( casual player even at that times), the John Lennon killing, all the good brit music in the eighties and all the computers era, starting from the first Sinclair HC. Iā€™m pretty old arenā€™t I? :man:t3:ā€šŸ¦³

5 Likes

Thatā€™sā€¦older than me! The outcome of the Vietnam war was still trundling along when I was born, I remember coin up games, and Sirhan Sirhan still wins me a round of ā€œthe Name Gameā€ , the 80ā€™s were just a sublime era for music, and a very good time to be hitting your teens, and at least you went smart and went for the Sinclair, not for the Commodore +4, which was a travesty of no use to man nor beast.

2 Likes

I should probably explain ā€œthe Name Gameā€ It is a drinking game, where you go in rounds, and someone names a celebrity/historical figure, and you have to follow on, but the rules are, if you say a name, the next person has to say a name whose first name begins with the first letter of the -surname- of the person, So if I said ā€˜Gary Linekarā€™ the next person has to say a name beginning with ā€˜Lā€™ such as ā€˜Laurence Olivierā€™ The next person has to say a name beginning with ā€˜Oā€™ such as ā€˜Olivia Colemanā€™ as long as they are famous, youā€™re good.

However. If someone is a thorough swine, they can double it back, by using a name with two initials that are the same, in which case it reverses, So for example if someone handed me ā€œOlivia Colemanā€ I could then flip it back with ā€œCHarlie Chaplainā€ at which point the game reverses direction. Whilst you think of a name, you have to be drinking, which is why it is dangerous, and really useful to have a list of names of assassins, like ā€˜Sirhan Sirhanā€™ or footballers like ā€˜Zidane Zidanā€™

1 Like

Yeah, people nowadays complain about WoW but they should first start to play a
whatever 8 bit game :smile:

1 Like

I still maintain that ā€˜Auf Wiedersehen Montyā€™ is one of the greatest games everā€¦ A Mole, who is implicated in a bank heist, and has to fake his idea and flee the UK, only to be pursued around Europe by Interpol, and chased by historical figures like Toulouse Lautrec, I mean for real! I mean the Eiffel Tower was lethal!

1 Like

Ah! Sound interesting, I like this pub games! :blush:

Our mates often make a new player sit between me, and my mate ā€˜flatheadā€™, because we both have horrible knowledge of historical figures, and keep bouncing the names back with doubles, so that the poor person in the middle is constantly drinkingā€¦ Not sure if it is a rite of passage or just bullyingā€¦

1 Like

ā€œCharlie Chaplain!ā€ Oh, ā€œChristopher Columbus, the explorer!ā€ ā€œChristopher Columbus the Film Directorā€ ā€œCharlie Chalk, the clown from Reeves and Mortimerā€ ā€œCarrie Fisher!ā€ (The person in the middle heaves a sigh of relief and tries to get their own back) ā€œFred Flintsoneā€ Steely eyed look of a person loading a gun ā€œFrederick Forsythā€ ā€œGawd Dammit!ā€

1 Like

Both maybe :smile:

I need back to London, though isnā€™t recommended travel nowadays :mask:

Thatā€™s London in generalā€¦although I should actually go and play this game, given that I still need to unlock Kul Tirans, and my Draenei is pretty close to hitting that. Adios!

Aloha! :call_me_hand:t3: :wave:

My first ever game I played as a child looked like this along with space invaders on my dads gaming thingy:

I then started my history of console style gaming by playing on my Aunts:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_2600

I played Sega mainly through the years and didnā€™t buy my first pc until I was in my 20ā€™s :slight_smile:

2 Likes