Give bolvar a break

The timeline of her powering up doesn’t make sense. When exactly did it happen ?
After her pact with Helya ? Why didn’t she shred Genn in Tornheim then. Because of the war casualties ? She already has those powers at the start of of BFA. Beside ICC isn’t just the Lich King, the whole point of Bolvar becoming the Lich King was to avoid the Scourge ravaging through the world, so that means they are still a big deal since we can’t just deal with them and ICC is the heart of that power and she can just effortlessly stroll through the Scourge army. At this point why didn’t she just soloed the Horde rebellion and Alliance army at Orgrimmar ?

1 Like

I like to think it was gradual, and amassing powe even perhaps.

I mean after she regained her freedom she already has access to things she didnt before: necromancy, mind control (as is her ultimate in WC3) , possesing, black arrows that raise skeletons, banshee screams and what not…

Just like every adventurer she probably grinded AP and levels…

Plus it was said she had a relationship with the Jailer for quite some time, so that further hints that she amassed power over a period of time.

Finally, thinking back on her tragic story and Arthas raising her etc etc, it makes perfect sense for her to ABSOLUTELY HATE everything LichKing related.

So she wouldnt show up in Icecrown if she wasnt 100% confident she could destroy him.

Dont think it “weird” we havent been shown her power up, cause we havent been shown her plans or even motives all through BFA also. And some we have seen ended up being pure convenience lies… so nobody can really say… and thats the mystery of Sylvannas

P.S. A statement to all the peeps complaining “LichKing is megapowerful he shouldnt lose”, I mean guys… Sylvannas has been tortured raised and had a tragic fate at the hands of the first LichKing so the fact that she, his creation, ends up destroying him is good writing.

Unless u think a Villain abusing a lady , and then when she attacks him he abuses her again saying “I am your daddy” is good writing ffs…

no she hasn’t, she was killed by Arthas with only frostmourne. He became the LK when he donned the armor and the helm and fused with Ner’Zul

There is no reason for Sylvanas to have a grudge against Bolvar, the guy has been keeping the rest of the world, her included, safe from the undead

3 Likes

Yeah cause the kingdom of England killed your nation and the King of England raised you and made you kill your own, but now its a new King, so its all water under the bridge… yeah… sure

As I said any character can beat any character with power up, if tomorrow Blizz decides that Murky one shotted Sargeras because he was blessed by the mysterious god of doorknobs well it will happen, doesn’t make it a good story.

Maybe there is an explanation but so far it’s not satisfying, it has been two expansions that we see her accomplishing greater feats of strength without any proper explanation. The fact that so many people are asking the same question show that it was vague and poorly explained. Like anyone thought the LK was going to kill Sylvanas in that fight ? They just keep telling us how ubercharged she is and so it kills all of the tension, everytime she shows up she is going to win because purple magic that will totally be explained in a year or two, maybe.

Also I have to disagree with your definition of bad writting, the two possible outcomes of her fight with LK, her victory or defeat, are tied to two different tropes. Victory being the creature destroying its Creator trope and defeat being the hybris of the creature who is smited by its Creator (very greek styled). But you just pick one of the trope and say this one is good, the other one is bad because of socio-political reasons. Sylvanas can’t loose to her Creator because she is a woman and it wouldn’t empowering, thing is in story telling the choice of tropes doesn’t matter it’s how they are used. In the end they could have make a great story with either outcome but they used very poorly the one they chose.

5 Likes

Foolish Demon hunter you underestimate murky’s power for he is the true hero of azeroth and even the dark titan would beg for death if he was to face one of such might

1 Like

do you not know how to have a decent conversation?

my point is that bolvar the LK is a COMPLETELY different character then Arthas the non LK

1 Like

All will bow before the chosen of the Great Doorknob, in the next expansion Doorknobland where you can choose what kind of door you want your character to be aligned too and defend them from the Doorknobs who want to open them without their consent. From wooden doors to steel door to the mysterious transparent glass doors. You will also be able to recruit them as allied races.

1 Like

I am sorry man but you fail to see how tragic Syvannas (original story) is apparently because having her raised and having her will violated since he was mind-controlling her , Nerzul was mind controlling the Scourge even before Arthas took the helmet of Dominion, is as good as rape for a woman. The worst of offenses.

So yeah… a rapistt raping their victim twice is seriously bad writing sry man

When Arthas razed Lordaeron, it was Nerzul from afar who was mind-controlling the Scourge and Sylvannas. The Voice of the LichKing, Nerzul, the helmet, in her mind.

So yeah… Bolvar was wearing that. She destroyed that. She didnt bother killing Bolvar so there’s your point

1. The rape comparison is totally off topic, does that mean all the dudes who were raised where raped too ? No because they aren’t women so we don’t care about how they feel.

2. The fact that her backstory is tragic doesn’t mean she is garanteed revenge or that her getting said revenge instantly makes the story good. Have you ever read greek tragédies or considered their mythology ? They are hundreds of examples, hello the Labdacides, of character getting fudged their whole life and their rebellion failing. But I guess the ancient stories that founded our cultural landscape were just poorly written.

4 Likes

First off I am Greek so I have obviously.

Secondly, such story examples you mention were finite, and meant to highlight or showcase something specific.

Like how Perses was showing the side of Perses after the Athenians defeated them in the War, so as for Athenians to consider the side of the loser, and be humble in their victory.

For a story with infinite continuity, like World of Warcraft, it makes sense not only to expand, but also use elements of plot twists to keep the story going, since its not finite, and you cannot make your point as such.

Thats usually the problem with Stories that dont end

In a sense yes, Nathanos was also shown in his short story to have felt incredible shame at his state when Sylvannas found him.

Its not irrelevant, in fact it is actually very helpful to get into the character. Since her actions are that of a Woman intent on NEVER allowing anything similar to happen to her!! Thus her incredible resolve and stuborness

Imagine this would by Arthas or Bolvar instead. People would cheer. Double standards.

You are talking bout history, I was talking about stories. My example do show that you can make great stories with an “unfair” conclusion, it’s called a tragedie. Also the entire Warcraft mythos is but a fragment in comparaison of all the myths, tragédies and various folk tales the greek compiled other the centuries, mythology is never a finished story, it evolves continuesly and Wow story could have continue to evolve with Sylvanas defeat, she would have been this tragic, almost heroic figure of this never ending war against the Scourge with the words there must Always be a Lich King resonating as she was struck down in a conflict symbolizing our own struggle against mortality. Again none of the outcomes are better by nature, it’s the way tropes are used that make great stories.

And I still disagree with your neo-freudian rape based analysis of undeath, they are other ways to analysis it and Blizzard Always avoided sexual content so rape was Always a big no no. Also I am going to magic cylinder your mirror force that it’s kind of sexist that you immedialty assume that a female character motivation is tied to her sexuality.

2 Likes

Well violation of will is the most serious offense, and is also why Baine and co rebelled against Sylvannas when she did that with Derek.

So whether you like my example or not, considering how Blizz themselves have confirmed “Sylvannas will never be in chains like Garrosh” I think its fair to say I have a good grasp on the character of Sylvannas.

Consider me biased around Sylvannas if you will but your arguments in having an outcome beneficial to LichKing may consider you biased as such

You cant judge the story yet. We havent played Shadowlands.

So far the story is she Sylvannas started a War to collect souls and amassed enough Souls to empower herself and destroy him. And at least this way it makes sense why she went to War

Did you even read what I say ? I kept repeating that the outcome didn’t matter, that both could have made good story if handled properly and that my issue with the story was it’s execution.

And yes I can very well judge the story, it has lasted for YEARS now but we are not allowed to criticize ? That’s just ridiculous.

dont touch Iconic character of Warcraft. It is enough they make sylvanas break crown for first bad blizzard expansion cinematic.

1 Like

Even my LK and no matter if Arthas or Bolvar is ruined now and all his latest story I would accept his defeat by Sylvanas if it was pictured different.

She is alone, she beats whole his army and then she smiles during whole their duel.
Bolvar doing his best was not even challenge. She is smiling all the time!
She deflects his 2h mace hits at the start with the bow and she is not even shaken nor didnt drop the bow, but she also easily knock arrow and shot again as she planned all the time. Piece of mountain hits her, yet she again spawn with smile and she then smiles till the rest of the Bolvar Humiliation.

It’s like he rly stayed lvl 80 and we players 120lvl, best gear you an get waiting for the boss to finish his phases to one hit him because you can’t kill him faster.

Pathetic.

I have not played in Cata/Mop but all other expansion yes. And i was always hyped for a new expansion. Not now. Tired of Sylvanas, tired of bullcrap story with so many cliffhangers or deus ex machina.

4 Likes

Its Freaking terrible writing Bolvar is a different Lich King as Decaye says so Sylvanas doesn’t really have a reason to destroy Bolvar.

To be absolutely honest I’d be just as angry if the cinematic was Arthas as Lich King and Sylvanas caught him like that.

Demi Goddess Sylvanas evolution is absolutely a groan fest with a bunch of really you ruined her story Blizzard and Ruined Bolvars … finally de-iced comeback. ( he looked so good on the cinematic to have him laying on the floor sucks)

It may well end on a better note for him later in the expansion well I have my fingers and toes crossed.

Oh there will be a future fan fic… i mean book christie golden is writing in that one they gonna say sylvanas is stronger than sargeras now.

Here is his break my friend, he is officially resigned from LK duty, that burden has been canceled for everyone, he has a chance to know his daughter as Bolvar , and not the LK/Bolvar , Sylvanas did him a service .

Cant change my mind

1 Like