Going through all expansions

Hello everyone I am a returing player and have bought the game as new, with a new account.

I wanted to get as many achivements as I can not rushing through the game and exploring and doings old content is something I enjoy. But I find it very difficult. For example am I doing the wrath of the liching expansion and I have reached icecrown but the quests sometimes requires 5 players and therefore I cannot do the quests alone in the appropriate lvl which is 70 - 80.

I am wondering if I should get to 120 to make the quests easier for me BUT I am scared if I do this I wont gain as much reputation to become exalted with the different factions in any of the expansions that I play if I am 120… Does anyone know if it is safe for me to go 120 without losing content? And being able to go back and experience the content without too much loss?

And yes I have recived help from a lvl 120 from my guild BUT sometimes the quests/zones will not allow for the other player to show the mobs I need to kill and therefore I have to try and kill these elite mobs by my self… So it wont always help to recruit help from a higher lvl.

Whether you are level 70 or level 120, the reputation gains will be the same. I did the 120 boost on my old account, yet, I still felt I was rushing it, and missing out.

I started this account about eight days ago, and I am doing the same as you. I am almost finished in Kalimdor, then I will be moving on to the Eastern Kingdoms. I tend to skip the elite quests which involve 3 or more, and will go back to them when I am able to.

I find it more enjoyable by connecting to my Shaman, than just viewing him as a pixel.

1 Like

Welcome to Azeroth!

It’s a great way to work your way through your first levelling. I envy you that!

I don’t envy you the current scaling system, in which levels, mobs, and items don’t really exist, but are illusions customised to you. That makes things more difficult for you as well as removing the authenticity. Even with real levels and real mobs, it was always hard to complete the content of a previous expansion solo, because at “end-game” at the end of each expansion, gear was earned making people much more powerful, and you don’t have that gear. You also, of course, don’t have a bunch of other people at the same level to play with.

There are a couple of things you can use to customise your path, though.

First, you can “lock your XP”. This will freeze you at your level, disabling further experience gains, until you release it. You can do this for 10 gold by talking to the Experience Eliminator in Stormwind Keep. He’s standing in stealth behind the big War table in the room to your right as you walk up to the King. This is a resource when you want to finish a zone without outlevelling it.

Second is the “Legacy Buff”. When you are 11 levels above the designated level of an expansion, you get a huge, invisible, power boost. So, at level 91`, you would get that buff for Northrend content. At that point, you could solo the dungeons, and soon afterwards have a shot at soloing the raids. So you don’t actually have to wait for 120 to finish them.

As Chakotay said, you will get just as much rep at 120 as you will at 80, so that’s all good, but from 91 onwards you will get that rep much much easier.

1 Like

These are some great ideas :slight_smile: I do something similar myself levelling fresh alts. You can still sometimes find people to group with for group quests etc, but at a push you can level up a bit, then come back while the group content still feels challenging solo.

I use XP elimination (“lock your XP”) for every expansion. Usually, I do the first map to collect some needed base gear, then unlock XP and then level up to the next level threshold that unlocks the next expansion. If you do everything in an expansion you get 4-5 times the XP you need to unlock the next expansion. It’s plenty.

So for instance, for Outland I do the first map locked at level 60, then unlock and level up to level 70 on the next 3 maps and after that lock XP again to stay on level 70 and finish the other maps. I do the same for the other expansions.

A lot of quests in the old expansions are bugged. And I mean a lot. Old mechanics that once worked are broken now. Like an old sword that magically once removed 80% of an enemy now only remove 10%. And you end up with something still 10 times your HP. It’s bugged, it’s not solo’able at low level, after a while I stopped being frustrated about this. Many other quests spawn too many mobs or the HP of small mobs is too high. It has nothing to do with combat skills, once a quest spawned with 20 enemies each 10% of base health, now the reduction is missing and you have 20 enemies at full health. Or quests require you to use AoE but over the years AoE damage was so much reduced that it’s no longer possible in time. That’s a few examples of quests that once worked but now require help.

I keep a list of quests I need to do, including group quests and once in a while I get what I call a “level 120 obliteration toon” from a friend to help out. I usually try to still do the quests myself and when my HP is very low (because it’s not possible for me anyway) he one-shots the boss. That works. Or it’s a healer.

For phased quests all I can do is mark them and return when I’m 12-13 levels above. Nothing else works, not even party sync, the new feature is completely useless. Party sync is really the most useless feature recently added to the game. When it’s on, half your quests are disabled, you cannot pick up all new quests, and phased quests (when you really need help) are all not working with it. It’s a different story, it’s completely useless. It is a great idea, but just an idea; it has been implemented in the most useless way possible.

And for other players to help: I my experience at the start of an expansion you have a lot of those speed levelers, that can’t get bothered with anything. They are rude, sabotage your game play and are really the most negative thing about WoW. I wish there was some phase thing or whatever where Blizzard puts those so they can annoy another. There is no point in asking anyone for help, they just insult you. But, if you move on to the next maps, they are all gone. You are left with those players that play for story, not for speed leveling. There you can easily ask for help, there’s always someone that has a few minutes to help out. I myself always have a few minutes to help out.

So far I managed to complete all expansion quests but at times it’s frustrating.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.