Goldshire kid preying hub? What to do about it?

Exactly. For a company that supposedly cares about it’s community and the players in it… It really doesn’t take any steps to protect the minors they so openly invite unto their platform.

This whole ordeal disgusts me… And if Blizzard doesn’t fix it soon, I’m more than certain it’s gonna blow up eventually.

Bad idea. Make it 18+? Just signals a quiet agreement that adult stuff is happening here, and that it’s alright for it to happen anywhere in the open as well.

Plus I know many people who were great rpers before 18, and I see no reason why they should be excluded, just because some bad apples are about.

Also we have this discussion regularly a couple of times a month.

8 Likes

What is happening on the game currently is beyond disgusting. It is unacceptable and malpractice of any company. You cannot make it the consumer’s responsibility to deal with the lack of activity from your own company. It’s not about wether or not they’re good roleplayers, that’s completely irrelevant. It’s about wether or not it’s two consenting adults making adult content together, or if it’s one person trying to get a CHILD into this kind of stuff.

You are punishing anyone below 18 for it then, not the company. And the disgusting won’t go away, it will just increase, because making it 18+ means it’s allowed.

I really don’t care if I’m punishing kids by not making them watch adults write such to them. It’s not a punishment. Taking porrn from a 12 year old isn’t a punishment. Having adults exploit them for sexual pleasure is.

1 Like

I personally don’t think the idea is great, as it is necessary. Pragmatic I guess. I was that younger roleplayer once, I’d feel a little angry if I was suddenly removed. The alternative is Blizzard owning up to their administrative responsibilities and handing the IPs of individuals in question to the authorities.

I can get behind that aswell. As long as there’s action in the right direction, showing the company actually cares about the children on the platform I’m okay with that. But allowing these kinds of people to prey on children and doing nothing is unacceptable… And there’s no excuse for it.

Sadly, I don’t think blizz will ever act on such things, the only advice I can give is: Stay the hell away from Goldshire if you want to avoid such things.

That’s the wrong way to go about it. Most people don’t visit Goldshire if they’re any little bit credible and have an ounce of sense, unless they’re going there to troll. And punishing a demographic is a great way to lose players.

Sadly I echo the statement that the best you can do is advise anyone you know not to go there, let them be filthy cretins and hope that one day Blizzard implements some sort of weekly cleansing where they monitor the chat through GM presence and ban players based on dialogue and intent. Probably not going to happen mind you.

At the end of the day, there’s no media storm blowing it up. So they still get their money every month from subs, and most of us go on with our lives. Just report dodgy behaviour you see outside of Goldshire and accept that it will take an outrage before they consider taking punitive measures against paying customers, no matter how disgusting they are.

Aside from that, it’s up to us, the rest of the community, to make sure that we wipe out the Goldshire scouts venturing into other hubs. Take no prisoners.

4 Likes

There will be no mercy. For the Empe- Ooops… I mean… Uh oh wrong setting. I think that’s basically the bottom line to this. A massive outrage is what will change this, but there’s no telling what else it will change as well in terms of RP realms as a whole.

1 Like

This is the exact approach Blizzard is taking, which is not acceptable. Of course we can ignore it, and “Sensible” people will. But at the end of the day kids play this game, so this approach is laughable. And it’s not okay.

Don’t give this company an excuse not to do anything with this sort of attitude, please. We all agree there’s a problem, and saying “Let’s not fix it.” or giving them excuses as to why it’s not a good idea to fix it is terrible.

1 Like

Aye, let us purge any erps that venture out of goldshore to spread their filth.

Sadly people have asked me to ERP them for gold in Stormwind whispers, starting off with lewd words… It’s not as if the kids are safe away from Goldshire, but at least they’re safer than in Goldshire. It’s just disgusting. I’m disgusted. At this rate I hope mainstream media picks it up, cause Blizzard clearly intends to do nothing about it.

It’s not saying “Let’s not fix it.” Is realising blizz will never do anything about it so any effort is pointless and a waste of time.

2 Likes

Report the people whispering you.

Report it to mainstream media I guess? See if anything happens for the first time in 15 years.

Nothing will happen on its own.

3 Likes

Suppose that’s a good suggestion. I just don’t want to see the game suffer through all of that either. I do like the game, I just wish they’d do something… Before that happened. If only they actually cared like they claim… Sigh.

Nothing commands change like a headline exposing a multi-million, billion, trillion(??) company not taking steps to protect minors. There’s plenty of examples of this out there. I’m sure some prominent services were forced into action by this. Look at YouTube trying to control content intended for children on YT.

EDIT: Also I’m pretty sure websites that report on this would love those clicks for it. Because that’s the kind of juicy news people click on and that’s the kind of thing YouTubers would report on. As they do with gambling mechanics and so on.

2 Likes

Guess that’s literally the only solution since Blizzard doesn’t care about it’s consumers. Money talks.

I mean technically this is what happened with lootboxes. It had to gain media traction for people to consider it and then certain countries started passing laws. Companies weren’t going to just stop because someone asked nicely and tried to be rational about it and even so, these laws don’t encompass all the countries. China’s an all time popular when it comes to it. (This is why you have so many phone games.)

1 Like

Screenshot it, post it and complain about it on their twitter/facebook.

3 Likes