Good and bad fantasy races

That’s true, there’s either the country - Wakanda or the people - wakandans. And they do exist, I have seen a documentary about them on TV.

Not very good joke.

How i write before, the true “problem of human potential” is showing them as op overlord above all others.

2 Likes

Culture is not technology they use or at least not just it. As others mentioned, those two (and all other races) are as human as they get. They aren’t that different from Warcraft humans even in regards to both morphology and culture. They all uphold same virtues of honour, loyalty, family. Their customs are all the same - monogamists with just one partner they fall in love with. They weep over loved ones lost. Humans in real world are waaaaaaaaaay more divers in regards to culture than all playable races of WOW together.
Why not spice things up? Make them alien? Make them different? Because it’s the side races or bad guys who gets to be original.
Why not have a race who solve their disputes like bonobo - by having lots of sex. Why not have hive mind society that isn’t just all this mindless “drones” wanting to consume all but have them cherish their family bonds and mutual love for their queen mother.
Or at least stop with this politically correct ideal utopian societies where both genders are equal, there is no racism, social inequality etc. Since it’s work of fiction they could go crazy with cultures and norms and mix it all up but nooo.
So we get humans with just extra morphological features and fancy architecture / fashion sense.

1 Like

Thanks, I will always refer to your own exact definition from now on, even when I am tongue-in-cheek joking with a friend.

I still look back on this whenever I go on the forums and laugh.

I generally can’t think of many fantasy universes where Humans were awful trash nor which Humans don’t have the some of the best characters, groups, factions etc… in whatever media it is.

1 Like

Yeah but the aggressively Jamaican trolls are a ok in your book ? Funny how the cannibal race is the one with that accent/copy pasted culture.

And that’s NOT a good thing.

And why is that exactly?

Erevien has a patent on writing fantasy. He bought it on e-bay.

1 Like

More like found it in the trash outside his apartment.

Like the hell lol what is actually wrong with Humans being in fantasy? What is next Humans not being allowed in sci-fi?

Yes. Sci-Fi should not be dominated by humans. It should be dominated by aliens - who are humans with prosthetics on their faces and are, of course, written by humans, in a way that makes humans most able to relate to them. But humans should never be the baseline of our experience of another universe. That’s just a silly trope.

3 Likes

I’d argue that it depends on the setting of said universe for it to be a problem or not.

Having Humans being one of the more dominate races in lets say Star Wars is not a bad thing given its setting. On the opposite end having Humans in the positions they are in during the Mass Effect series isn’t bad either.

Having Humans in any form of media is not nor never will be a bad thing and the only times they are is when they are written poorly, but then this applies to every race really.

1 Like

Guess Tolkien was a big dumb dumb then, he invented human potential afterall.

sigh No, he did not. Tolkien’s humans are flawed, weak, and prone to corruption.

4 Likes

And that’s what makes then great.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Most scifi adventures are about humans mastering the way into space travel. Fantasy is literally a whole different universe where common laws of physics don’t apply and is full of magic and strange creatures. Putting Normal people. Mostly human, male, white, blue eyes, paladins as heroes ruins the entire immersion. Be creative. Make a new different race. Like Gelflings.

1 Like

But he popularised human with elf waifu thingy :smirk:

Gotta say that the only time I actually liked this combo was in Heroes 3: the Chronicles.

Where the main character was punished with immortality so he could never settle down and make long lasting bonds, his relationships were short lived and have move on and on.

And when he finally moved to elf land, after really long campaign he ended in relationship with one elven ranger.

1 Like

How does that ruin immersion exactly?

You haven’t given a reason yet.