Good and bad fantasy races

If you want a good multi-racial fantasy I still insist on Malazan: Book of the Fallen. x

2 Likes

Erevien, this is going to sound terrifying, but everything is adapted from our own history. Humans write fiction, it shows humans in it. The fact you pin pointy ears on them, or a tail, does not change that fact.

Can’t remember what Greek philosopher said, that if oxen could sculpt, they would sculpt their Gods to look like oxen.

Its the same with literature. You know as well as I do that every race in WoW is a mixture of RL cultural influences and traits.

5 Likes

If I wanted humans as main representation of tropes, I would switch to sci-fi. Because spoilers.

That genre is almost always about our real world advancing into deep space. Halo, Star Trek, even star wars to some degree, Star Gate. But fantasy?

Apart from the Shannahra chronicles I can’t remember any real world related fantasy. It’s always an entire different place.

The chances of human being there should be minimal in a total alien place.

Honestly, if you wanna avoid humans inserting themselves into their own literature and games, you are gonna have to avoid everything. You are playing a race inspired by meso-American humans within a certain time period.

You are as much of a copy paste with your Zandalari as I am with my human paladin. The only difference is you have tusks.

2 Likes

Warcraft was never an “out there” fantasy and humans have always been relatively central. It never really broke new ground, it wasn’t the first to try and test “orcs arent just evil” and it certainly wont be the last.

3 Likes

And only 3 limbs per hand and foot. And blue-green skin. And glowing eyes. Weird hair. An alien language that makes no sense. A height above 2 meters. Srsly. They are nothing alike apart from being a humanoid standing on 2 legs. Orcs and Draenei differ further.

Sorry mate. Cosmetics aside, that’s a human. And Orc and Draenei are also a mixture of IRL cultural traits.

2 Likes

But it was? Tolkien and warhammer all did the "orcs are just evil."thing.

I respectfully disagree.

You are allowed to, its called denial.

3 Likes

TIL Orcs don’t have Mongolian and Japanese influences and Draenei don’t have Jewish influences

Orcs and Draenei are as alien as it gets regarding culture. Or tell me any human people actually living in Crystal cities and shooting laser cannons. I’ll wait.

1 Like

Being alien isn’t just having cool aesthetics. If that’s your mark, it’s a very shallow one.

Orcs are divided into tribes which squabble and were united into a singular entity called the Horde which started wars of conquest to expand territory, which very much resembles Temujin’s formation of the Mongol Horde. Also, blademasters are inspired by Japanese Samurai legends

Draenei are the chosen people, exiled for keeping true to their faith, much like what happened with the Israelites, and are on a divine mission.

If those 2 examples aren’t obvious, I dunno what are.

1 Like

But me no understand, mongols weren’t green wtf

1 Like

They are if they’re ill.

1 Like

Erevien’s world is crashing down around him. For the first time in his life, he realizes that every race is human potential.

1 Like

Mongols weren’t green and wakandans don’t have tusk, what now?

3 Likes

Spoilers: other races are written by humans too in Warcraft, and are given our values too.

But I didn’t know we had a flying magical city in real life, that’s pretty cool. Or I never learned of the existence of a legendary fleet that could teleport thanks to a necklace. Or again I was not aware that the king of England was able to magically heal his entire army by just raising his hand. That’s pretty cool, not going to lie.

1 Like

So what are murlocs based on then? And gnolls?

Checkmate rustplate.

1 Like

Humans too. Alas.

There is no such thing as “Wakandas”.

1 Like