GPU temperature after pre-patch

So I noticed some absurd GPU temp spikes after the pre-patch… Before pre-patch on 10/10 settings I never got higher than 71-72C… now after pre-patch even with lowered settings 7/10 I was forced to put a custom fan curve on my GPU and ramp my Fans to 85% in order to keep the temp under 75C… GPU is RTX 2080, recently cleaned with new thermal paste and latest drives. Did anyone else experienced the same issue?

2 Likes

I turn on pc

Pc no make noise

Pc fine

Laptop on the other hand, makes as much noise as it always has :thinking:

1 Like

My 1060 6GB fans don’t even turn on when I have 3 world of warcrafts open (2 of them have capped fps when it’s not in the foreground though)

Try cap your fps to what you desire. More frames = more heat normally. So if you cap the frames to your monitor refresh rate you might see temps drop.

Do you have FPS limit set correctly?

my fps is capped correctly so its not that…

Then more debugging would be in order - temperature/load monitoring to see if like wherever you are in game you have 100% GPU load (which would be a “bug”) or if something else went crazy (latencymon test to check for driver conflicts).

The GPU usage is near 100% most of the times but I believe that’s normal for the resolution I’m playing on (3440x1440) since on that res GPU takes most of the presure. I will keep a eye on my temps and see if anything changes in the next patch.

Did you enable RTX?

It doesn’t do much in the case of WoW anyway and the computational load, and therefore GPU heat, is considerably higher.

This applies especially in a case like this. An RTX 2080 running at full tilt with no RTX is not that hot. An RTX 2080 running at full tilt with RTX is another beast entirely. You’ve essentially enabled two extra processors in your system just by turning RTX on.

If it’s on, turn it off. It’s not worth it in WoW.

I play at that resolution too. The only 100% GPU with unlocked FPS is like in Dazar’alor when looking on the harbor from Great Seal (widefield view of lots of stuff) or Ardenweald on the Beta. For the most part you should be either CPU or just FPS cap limited and the GPU would be at max 50% utilized.

Abnormal GPU utilization could be a driver conflict or some errors with driver installation. Check with latencymon and/or already DDU the driver, update all board drivers (like audio) and re-install nvidia driver.

RTX is off, for some reason I can’t enable it even though I have the latest win10 update and my GPU driver is up to date…

I run the latencymon test you suggested and it says everything its fine with my system. I just want to correct what I said before: my GPU usage is not 24/7 at 100% usage but it does reaches 100% usage it similar situation like yours.

Then it should be fine. The GPU should not overheat. If you have high refresh rate display then those higher FPS can push more heat than usual.

Yeah its a 120 HZ g-sync display

With a 980 GTX i average between 65°c and 70°c with 2 WOW windows permanently open and all the other crap in background. You might have some driver issues.