Guild finder addons not working, how to even find a guild?

The standard guild finder is an age-old embarrassment, and I don’t know how to effectively find a guild for me. I gave it a try at first and sent requests to two bigger guilds using that tool and never even got a reaction.
Guildster and Guild Finder Enhanced both don’t seem to work right now.

I am on Chamber of Aspects and currently heavily focusing on catchup stuff, but would like an active guild for chatting and such, exchanging tips and all.
(The realm forum seems to be almost dead, so that isn’t motivating either.)
I don’t even know how to identify the biggest guilds on a realm considering this situation.

The guild finder tool doesnt work cos there’s no notification system to tell the GM or officers or whoever that there’s a request in, and it’s used so rarely, I for one forget to check it :stuck_out_tongue:
To find the bigger guilds, watch out for the guild names you see about most often. Remember the ‘who’ section in the social tab, that still works and is actually useful :joy: Put guild names in there, hit enter, and it tells you who in that guild is online. From that info, you can whisper one of the members and ask if the GM or an officer is about and go from there!
Good luck! And if you ever fancy a reroll/faction change and blah de blah, feel free to add me (mumm#2233) - I’ve got a guild on Hellfire, with a bunch of really nice people, still helping some of them levelling or unlocking the new races etc too!

2 Likes

Probably best way is to post in those forums (like the topic you replied in just now, or Looking for PvE or to post in a topic from your realm) to find a guild. :slight_smile: As Mumm says most guilds don’t look in there anymore because they have tools such as this forum, wowprogress, raider. io etc. The former sites I mentioned you can also look on which guilds are ranked highest (which might mean biggest) on your realms since you mentioned that.

1 Like

The guild finder tool only works if people use it right. Personally, as a Guild Leader, I have an advert in our guild finder directing people to our website to find out about us and apply … we still get people applying through the guild finder though. But it’s easy enough for a guild leader/officer to check if you’ve got requests outstanding … and if you need a reminder, use an addon that reminds you. I use Guild Roster Manager addon, which is excellent to help me manage my guild, and that does a regular check to see if there are any outstanding requests, prompting me to reply.

I do agree that it isn’t really fit for purpose … I suspect that for some time now guilds and anything to do with them have sat on the back burner for Blizzard … they’re making it more and more difficult to maintain and administer to guilds and making various adjustments to the api so that addon developers either can no longer create addons that would make maintaining guilds easier, or find it’s too much hard work to keep up with all the changes.

At a MINIMUM the guild finder should have some sort of time-out for guild adverts … so if an advert is not accessed by the GL/officers of a guild for a certain amount of time, it would tag as “inactive”. Our Guild Finder has reams of guilds advertising for “forthcoming raids” several expansions ago, or having only 1 or 2 members in them.

It does have it’s uses though. What I would do, if I was looking for a guild, is have a look on there for suitable guilds with a large(ish) number of members … check them out on the Armories to see if they look active, do a /who in game to see if there are many online at the times you play. Google the guild … type the guild name and realm in and see what pops up … if anything. For example, typing “dark wolves lightbringer” brings up a whole host of pages relating to our guild.

Also, if you’re a raider, or thinking of raiding, check out wowprogress for your realm/preferred realms. And … do what you did … check out the Blizzard forums, and post :wink: Just remember to do your research on any replies.

As an addendum … are you specifically WANTING to join a BIG guild? Because I’ve often seen “big” guilds are not necessarily the most active, nor the most inviting (no pun intended) as they’re guilds who just invite anyone who asks, and there’s no sense of community within them.

Edit … wowprogress shows quite a few horde guilds that are actively raiding currently … you can check each page and read about them, scroll to the bottom to see how many accounts are in the guild … https://www.wowprogress.com/pve/eu/chamber-of-aspects/

You can also look at a census of your realm - which will give you a rough idea of activity for various guilds: http://warcraftrealms.com/census.php?serverid=836&factionid=-1&minlevel=20&maxlevel=120&servertypeid=1

2 Likes

I totally agree with this, and the point Poisonenvy made about there being a lot of guilds in the guild-finder tool that ‘look’ big or have high numbers of guild points but have been completely dead for expansions or invite anybody to make up numbers but nobody ever even says hi or does anything together!

2 Likes