[H-RP] Hand of the Titans is recruiting! Now also open to Alliance!

No’zoth yet.

1 Like

The Hand teamed up with the Band on a casual lecture in Westfall. The adventurers were taught how to utilize common plants to help with some common afflictions, plus the Dean himself shared a certain druidic secret with them. We’re also starting to make our presence a regular thing when it comes to a Kaldorei Moonwatching tradition.

We’re taking full advantage of the truce and making friends!

3 Likes

We are busy keeping Silvermoon City safe during Winter Veil.

2 Likes

NEW! PATCH! :clap:

8.3 is finally upon us, and it brings an infinite amount of RP possibilities for us!

• Titan stuff: :white_check_mark:
  • Old God stuff: :white_check_mark:
  • Endless opportunities for fun new trauma: :white_check_mark:
  • Civilians to save: :white_check_mark:
  • Huge focus (FINALLY!) on the world-saving efforts: :white_check_mark:
  • Returning old enemies: :white_check_mark:
  • A chance to (AGAIN) crash our airship in the desert: :white_check_mark:
  • Confirmed peace: :white_check_mark:
  • Potential to explore the beloved locations, but with tentacles!: :white_check_mark:

We’re giving ourselves a few days to explore the new content, and then… we finally get to stretch our wings and do what the Hand does best. :muscle:

…Yes, I am quite excited.

2 Likes

Lets out a rasping sigh

I suppose I should finish my assignments in Zandalar and Kul Tiras so I can be a more useful finger to the Hand sometimes in the future.

4 Likes

In a few days I’ll be kicking off the Dark Fever storyline, which is a pseudo-teaser to the events of 8.3. While everyone’s attention is focused elsewhere, something stirs in the darkest corners of the jungle…

…And it’s much worse than mosquitoes.

4 Likes

We are slightly lost in the middle of a very haunted jungle. With limited supplies, intense sleep deprivation, disgustingly dirty clothes, more mosquito bites than anyone cares to count… And, uh, a stray rogue we had accidentally adopted. So far we haven’t caught any deadly diseases, but the campaign is still young…

Will the Hand make it out of Stranglethorn in one piece? Find out in the next update. :wink:

(For the sake of full disclosure it should be noted that the deadliest enemy so far turned out to be a small hill covered in slippery leaves. We are still Big Dumb Heroes, after all.)

5 Likes

Edit: Because this is an old thread imported from the old forum, I couldn’t get the FAQ to work in the first post before. This is now fixed, but originally I posted them here. Leaving this post here up as well for now.

Frequently Asked Questions
(Click questions to open them)

Do you have any required addons?

You will find that nearly all roleplayers have a profile addon. These add a lot to your roleplay experience, letting you recognize other roleplayers, see their last names and descriptions, as well as their current conditions.

TotalRolePlay 3 is currently becoming the most popular one due to the features it offers. But MyRolePlay is compatible with it and remains in use by many, due to its simple design and use. While you are not required to use a profile addon, and it’s no problem if you show up to your interview without one, getting one is highly recommended.

Does the Hand have a uniform or dress code?

We do not have uniforms and dress codes. For most folks, going on missions for the Hand is a part time thing. So you are welcome to use armor and gear of your choice, or from your other professions. We do have tabards, cloaks and even shirts available in our storage, should you wish to display our colors.

Do you accept people new to roleplay?

We all have our start somewhere. We do accept new roleplayers. There will be things to learn. Common mistakes we all made. That is fine. We are always there to help you.

Am I required to know much of the lore of the game?

Much of what we do as a guild will be deeply entwined with the lore of the game. Roleplay is all about making yourself a fitting puzzle piece in this world we all enjoy. That said, the lore of the game is vast, and you are not expected to know more than the basics.

What makes for a good roleplayer, is not perfection in your mastery of the lore, but about how adaptable you are. We have plenty of loremasters in the guild. As long as you are willing and able to adapt, when you do make a mistake, you won’t have any problems at all. Even with little lore mastery. We are there to help.

Does your guild have a headquarters or other assets?

Over the decade, we have managed to save up and obtain several great assets for our order.

The Horn of Golganneth.
Our ship is actually an old trading vessel, reclaimed from pirates. Recently upgraded with steel armor, she has yet resisted the Hand’s bad luck with ships.

The Black Anarchy.
An expensive airship, custom constructed from scratch. The Black Anarchy is built for speed, ready to extract the Hand from, or drop them into enemy territory.

Threat Containment Island.
We have built up connections with a secretive organization within the Horde called the Threat Containment Unit, dedicated to protecting Azeroth from threats, items and phenomena that are too dangerous for the Horde to use, but cannot be destroyed. We currently use their secret island base as a headquarters, represented ingame by Ashran.

How active of a player must I be to join?

No one gets as much available time as they would like. Being more active will help you gain rank, and will help your character see more of campaigns and friendships, naturally. But we make an effort to make our roleplay and events easy to hop into, even if you cannot be available very much. We do remove members if they aren’t around for many months, of course. But otherwise there is no requirement for how active you must be.

Are you able to offer help with working out my character details?

Happily so! If there are any character details you would like to brainstorm about, be it history, personality, character traits, timeline, family, skillset or anything else, you will find someone happy to help you with advice, tips, information and ideas.

How active is this guild right now?

The Hand of the Titans is one of the most active roleplay guilds on the server. This is very unlikely to change. Beyond random roleplay, there are usually at least 3 roleplay events a week. Our peak hours are evenings. You should be seeing about 5 to 15 people there. Even if once this thread had grown old, rest assured we will still be around!

How does the guild feel about warlocks/death knights/demon hunters?

Playing these characters on Azeroth naturally comes with some stigma. That can be part of their appeal. In as varied a group as the Hand, it is of course inevitable that some will start off with a negative attitude towards those dealing in darkness. So make sure that you actually enjoy the challenge of playing a controversial character!

We certainly do accept these darker characters. Experts in dark power are a great asset in fighting our enemies. But there are a few rules they are required to follow. Such as not consuming mortal souls, no making deals with demons, no raising new undead mortals and no summoning demons without permission.

Due to events in Legion, our relationship with the Ebon Blade Death Knights is currently poor. Death knights unwilling to openly oppose those actions committed by the Ebon Blade, are therefore unsuited for the Hand.

Are you accepting of non-standard classes/races/backstories?

This question is hard to answer generally. It will have to be judged on an individual basis. As a general rule, it will depend very strongly on how well you can represent it. If you want to play a Dark Ranger, Shadow Hunter or Tinker, or a half-Draenei orc or something, then make sure that this is more than just a note in your roleplay profile. That you are something different has to be obvious to those that look upon you. It has to ooze out of you. Strong representation is important. And this requires work. Be willing to put in that work before considering this path.

Level of power is another important consideration. What you are playing has to fit the scale of your fellow players, if you are to face challenges together. For that reason, we cannot accept players that play a dragon or a lich as permanent guild members. While awesome character concepts, a flying tank and supreme necrotic monster would be way out of balance with the average roleplayer.

Does the guild use some sort of rolling system for combat?

Roleplay events with combat are great, but they can take a long time. To smooth things out and introduce a randomness factor, we often use a simple 1-100 /roll system with 3 to 5 HP (6 for defensively geared). Where hitpoints are a measure of how long your character can endure sustained damaging combat, based on their toughness, stamina, agility, training, experience, health, armor, and magical defences.

It’s a system designed to be intuitive and easy to jump into without difficulty that we have iterated over the last 8 years.

I am not yet max level. Does that mean I cannot join?

Anyone over level 20 is able to apply and join! However, please be aware that we do often roleplay in high level areas, and sometimes have a campaign in such an area for a few weeks. This could mean that there will be roleplay events that you are unable to join us for. We do our best to bring our lower levels whenever possible, but it will not always be possible.

How could my character learn about the Hand of the Titans?

The Hand of the Titans do not rely on recruitment posters anymore. Your character would likely have either been looking for a group like ours, or heard of us through word of mouth.

We have been an adventuring organization since the Scourge war in Northrend. Our banner has been seen on battlefields against any major threat. And we have good connections with the Argent Crusade, Earthen Ring, Wyrmrest Accord, Cenarion Circle and Steamwheedle Cartel. Of course we are also openly registered in Orgrimmar, so if your character wishes to research known adventurer groups, the information would not be hard to find.

How does the interview work?

Interviews are about us getting to know each other. It is important to find out if we are the place you would fit in best! Some people get nervous about the interview, but it is generally pretty fun. Don’t worry about making a mistake. It does take a while; generally 90 minutes or more. So we will have to find a proper place and time for it.

We will agree where to meet, out of character. Then a guild representative will meet your character there, in character, for an interview appointment set up in advance. The IC interview can be paused at any time, if there are questions OOC between us.

Does the guild have a website, forum or Discord to stay in touch?

We do have a website with a forum. http://handofthetitans.webs.com. We do not have an official Discord as the guild leader prefers people logging in to talk. But an officer hosts an unofficial Discord for the members that like to stay in touch that way.

Am I allowed to bring alts into the guild?

You are allowed to bring in an OOC alt, that is not an IC member. You are also allowed to bring in new characters into the guild IC. It would take too long to interview all of people’s alts as well. So we have a questionnaire for alts that represents an interview, but is a lot faster.

Naturally we can’t allow you to immediately bring in 8 alts. But ultimately, the rule is that you can have as many alts as you can keep active.

When and how often do you organize roleplay?

Active roleplay times are usually in the evenings. It is when most folks will be online. If the roleplay is a planned event, it will most often start at 20:00 server time. Generally there are 3 or more events a week on the calendar. Days may differ greatly.

How is the guild, outside of roleplay?

We have done our best since the beginning of the guild to bring in good people. Forging as stable and supportive of an environment as we have now, has taken a long time. But it has created a robust and friendly team of people and a strong foundation for anyone to grow into.

It is important to us to provide a supportive environment where people of all types can feel accepted. Part of that means to keep language in the guild “politically correct” and avoiding local politics.

We have had 6 amazing real life Guild Meetings and we find it important to stay on good terms with our allied guilds and the server community.

Am I allowed to organize my own events?

Indeed you are! Everyone is allowed and encouraged to bring people together for roleplay or to put an event on the calendar. Guild leadership will also be more than happy to help you organize these events, or to help you develop those skills.

Can evil, amoral, chaotic, self-serving, rude, rotten or deceptive characters join?

Basically yes. But the long answer is that you should consider it carefully.

There are a lot of selfish reasons to join the Hand of the Titans. The prestige. The resources. The network of contacts. Getting to legally hurt, murder and rob enemies. Claiming the knowledge and power of the dark cultists and monsters your allies slay. Their political influence. Or even repaying your legal debts to society for your past deeds. Exploiting a group of adventurers such as this can help you obtain vast wealth, knowledge and power.

However, operating within such a group requires cunning, thick skin or great deceptive skills. Those around you, shiny knight and honorable orc alike, will be operating under different moral standards. If you do not balance your evil actions out with comradery to those few on your side, or are rude to everyone without logical justification, everyone is soon going to hate you.

Basically, do not be one-dimensional. People are going to react realistically to your character. If you want something from them, they will want something from you. If there is nothing likeable about you, you will not be successful. Even a dark cult has a charismatic leader and a bunch of minions sucking up to them, that hope to replace that leader.

In Short: Don’t be both Evil and Rude. Unless you really enjoy constant conflict. That requires thick skin and enjoying that OOC. Deceptive Evil, Charismatic Evil, or even Subservient Evil may be better paths than Rude Evil. And if it is Rude you seek to play, why not combine that with Earned Arrogance, Comical or Dependable as character traits.

Where does your guild operate in terms of power scale, allowed mounts, artifacts, etc?

Power: Being a roleplayer is about fitting into Azeroth’s story. Not about shaping that story. That is the role of the Lore characters, and the Legendary Champions of Azeroth that killed the Lich King and Archimonde.

Naturally, our role is a lot more subtle. We do qualify for the High Fantasy for the Hand. Our mages know portal spells to major portal hubs. Some of us have glowing weapons. We travel to locations of great danger to fight for our world, like Argus. But only together as a large group do we hold any chance against foes the heroes of Azeroth take on alone. Against greater threats, we have no chance without help.

Mounts:
There are many amazing and prestigious mounts in this game. And most of us like to show off our favorite ones. However, while roleplaying, it is important to be able to justify how your character obtained that mount. That can be hard to do! Many of the best mounts are very rare creatures. Or they are very powerful. Or very specific to a certain group or race. Or just very expensive.

First ask yourself what your character, given their history, would likely be riding. See if that would match how much they would be willing to spend on a mount. Make sure it is not a rare or unique creature. If it would be weird to see 2 of them in the same group of people, it’s probably not a good idea. Lastly, beware their power. Don’t bring a mount into a situation, where the mount is more useful than you are. This is why we do not allow draconic mounts. Not only is a dragon a superior lifeform that is a person, not a mount at your beck and call, but they are flying tanks that can probably solve the problem the event is about. They are too useful.

Artifacts:
What we mean by this are items that grant you abilities or bonuses beyond normal. While it is fun to grant a player power beyond what they would normally have, we tend to make sure that balance and the normal state is restored soon. Just like Legion did, the Hand of the Titans have had a few artifacts that stuck around for a while longer, letting a player take exceptional actions in certain circumstances. However, this is super rare. If this is something you are considering, please discuss this beforehand.

4 Likes

Phew! We have a lot of things happening in the Hand at the moment!

• First of all we have successfully completed our Dark Fever campaign in Stranglethorn and as such are ready to finally dive head-first into official Visions-related content in Uldum and Pandaria.
  • Thanks to a minor spring cleaning restructurization, we now have brand new sub-factions open to our members. Ask your friendly neighbourhood Keeper about the new options!
  • Our guild leader’s wedding and a special celebratory guild meeting are right around the corner, so naturally there’s a lot of excitement going on.
  • Some of our stuff is getting a long-awaited visual makeover Soon™.

Oh, and I am proud to announce that our awesome death knight and newest Avenger initiate, Aiela (whose dark magic saved our asses quite a few times during Dark Fever), ascended to the rank of a full-fledged member in what might very well be the guild’s record time. :trophy:

3 Likes

Was it so that there was an …expedited… way for someone to join our ranks, if they are a trusted & likeminded acquaintance (alt) of someone who is already a member? For example if I know a young and aspiring tauren Sunwalker, and a nice young orc following the teachings of the Huojin Pandaren?

(I think there was a form one could fill out on the Hand’s home page, but it didn’t agree with my phone)

1 Like

Of course a recommendation from one of the current members can serve as a decent hook/a reason for a character to join, but is by no means an indication of whether or not that new character will or will not be accepted, as ICly every single applicant is evaluated on a case-by-case basis during an interview.

Members who wish to add more characters to the guild have two options: either an IC interview (like the one they had when they first joined), or a special questionnaire we have set up in place for people who are familiar with the guild and its inner workings, or have seen the interview a few times already and don’t want to go through the process yet again, so they answer the questions how they normally would and let the interview happen behind the scenes, so to speak. Either way, whether RPed out or done behind the scenes via the questionnaire, the interview is the basis of whether or not a character is invited to the Hand. :clap:

1 Like

We’ve been fighting tentacle-mouthed bugs and had a love-hate relation with the Light-boosted stone-tol’vir in Uldum for a while, but now we’re (temporarily) leaving the desert for other adventures. Come join us!

4 Likes

I really cared about those tentacle-mouthed bugs! Why would you hurt them? I named each and every one =(

3 Likes

Method beware! The Hand of the Titans is now a raiding guild.

(No, really. We even have a dedicated Discord channel for panicked laughter. If that doesn’t make us World First Race material then I don’t know what does.)

From other news:

• We have now wrapped up our Suramar storyline and were granted a moment of respite… Oh, who am I kidding? Right after Suramar we focused on removing a terrible Fel curse from a certain injury-prone Champion.
  • The suspicious turtle that wanders around in the background might soon develop a habit of headbanging the moment it hears Blight Boar. We should probably give it back to its rightful owners before it starts growling.
  • Our newest batch of initiates is so efficient it puts some Lifebinder Keepers to shame.
  • The weather forecast is rain with chance of tentacles.
3 Likes

Do you ever feel proud of your guild? I’m proud of my guild.

Bonus pride points to Narien for bravely sacrificing her hand for the cause. Hands for the Hand throne!

I mean, what?

3 Likes

It couldn’t get worse then that, could it?

(Sighs)

Well… looks at Lex the legless

1 Like

Well, I certainly had a blast there! :grimacing:

3 Likes

If anyone comes a cross a saurok that doesn’t like authorities, who claims to ‘not be mother material’ and has quite the attitude, it’s because it ate some of Nlaea Lightstrider’s essence.

2 Likes

Aye there mon